Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

In-N-Out burger seems like a pretty good place to try. I went to one in Dallas and it hat a huge following. The cheeseburgers are delicious too.

2. Default

++++++
    (though a disclaimer -- when people, myself included, say that In-N-Out is the best, that's considering it as fast food, not real food. but it is tasty.)

3. Default

First things first: Eat ALL of the things. Cali is probably the most diverse state there is in the US, though towards San Diego it gets progressively more latino/a, which is a good reason to try Mexican food there (wfrom what I hear, it's understandably better than Bay Area Mexican food). I highly encourage you to make lots and lots of local friends cause they'll know where to go for anything an everything and I'm sure there are people who think out of state guys are really cool to have in their friend group :P

I also third In-n-out burgers. That place is one of the best fast food burgers i've ever eaten. Double Double with fries and a soda <3

Also, when you get those local friends, I really encourage you to explore the city and maybe the neighboring cities too. Often times at CAL, many many people never venture out of the campus area an don't experience the culture (the food, the night life, the overall "feel" of the city) in the surrounding areas. Having a local friend to guide you is a plus so you don't get lost and stuck in tourist traps. Might as well enjoy yourself while you're not at home right?

As er the technical things, I'd probably leave most of the normal electronics at home unless you really really need them. Laptop is fairly obvious (things like this you should take). Alarm clocks aren't too necessary and things like these you can probably get cheap at the local store for like 7-10 USD. That way you can lighten what you're bringing over for cargo and also lighten the junk you have to take/ship back. If anything get a digital watch with an alarm setting or something that you'll use often that doubles as an alarm clock (i.e. iPod dock that can double as a radio/stereo/alarm clock). Walmart and Target, big chain stores, etc. will generally sell really cheap gears for dorms/college kids before school starts.

As for cultural differences, I really do encourage you to get a local friend. This way they can explain to you what slang terms mean, what words are ok to talk to people with and what actions that may seem polite to you, but are insults to other cultures (kinda like the "ok" sign meaning different things to different parts of the world). Yeah it's kinda hard to tell you cultural differences besides the fact that american food portions are probably twice the size of any other country's food. And the fact that it's illegal to drink under the age of 21 (some countries the age is 18, etc.)

I guess, tl;dr:

1. Find lots of local friends because they can take you to places where you can eat good food and have fun, tell you the in's and out's of American, SoCal culture;

2. eat everything you want/can afford and enjoy it;

3. Probably easier to buy a cheap american version of electronics and other semi-necessities;

4. Enjoy yourself by exploring the city and have a great time studying

5. bring flip flops for general wearing and showering. All the Socal people I've known have worn flip flops literally every day of school even if it's raining and pouring outside, which i found quite weird.

4. Default

In-N-Out, Chipotle, and Five-Guys are all good.

5. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

In-n-out y u no have rests in east coast :<

6. Default

Effing In-N-Out HOW DID I FORGET YOU!

That too, Rick!

7. Default

Note you generally have to be 25 or older to rent a car in the US, or pay an extra charge and leave a massive deposit, so that's not going to be an option for the average (poor) college student studying here.

8. Default

No clue how old Rick is, but with Hertz, the minimum rental age is 20. Though, you're absolutely right about the extra charge and massive deposit. I believe their deposit costed me $100 when I went to Georgia.

9. Default

Keep in mind that amount varies by location, and if you use a debit card instead of a credit card they put an additional $200.00 hold on it for some absurd reason.
    I will absolutely never use hertz voluntarily after the crap they put me through during my flood.

Age: http://hertzhelp.custhelp.com/app/an...1KSlBNaw%3D%3D

10. Default

Guys I can't rent a car because I do not have a license. And I wish I could take my cat but he wouldn't like the flight.

11. Default

Forgot to put Elephant Bar up there for food places.

12. Default

Are you going to get a license? I hear the california road test is actually the top 10 easiest as long as you avoid the L/A area.

13. Default

orz

waifu says the banks are crap for their rates and few ATMs will take her Travel ANZ card. Look around at exchanging a generous amount of money at currency exchange place that's not associated with a real bank. Mind you, she's from Aus if that makes any difference. :B
    I guess it's too late now to think about getting an international license? iirc they're valid for a year outside of the country it's issued in.

14. Default

When I say I don't have a license I mean it in the sense that -I do not know how to drive-. Also raizoo, my travel card is actually a prepaid visa card. It'll be accepted everywhere credit cards are accepted. After talking to the bank I found it's the best way to go.

15. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male
    IGN: Ryninagha
    Server: Windia
    Level: 16x
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: EmoCorner
    Alliance: EmoNight

It is cheap, but with good reason. Bear in mind that you'll be on public transit in LA of all places...Just make sure and keep everything close to yourself and all of your easily concealable valuables on your person for safe keeping. Fortunately transit from OceanSide to UCSD should be more or less a straight shot. If you input your starting point on GoogleMaps and UCSD as your destination you can get your bus route from Point A to Point B, too. I'd assume no more than 2 or 3 transfers; possibly only one even.

I'm pretty sure most traveler cards are Visa these days, so you should be fine in that respect. Most (99.99%) of the places in Orange County take debit cards, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. ALTHOUGH, you will need exact change for your bus fare, which I believe is $1.25 in LA, so maybe get like five dollars in singles if you can. I'm not sure how withdrawing money from ATMs will work in your case though, so you might want to try and bring at least $20 in assorted bills just in case.

Hope that helps :3

16. Default

Even Toonces can drive.

You are a fail-kitty, kiwi.

17. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    IGN: QuIt!!!
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 184
    Job: ♥Bishop
    Guild: QUIT!
    Alliance: quit quit QUIT
    Michigan

It's ok. No one else in cali knows how to drive either so you'll fit right in there. =D

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

19. Default

True enough, AVERAGE speed I see on the freeways is 11 above the limit. And my god when it rains....