1. Neon Atom Straight Male

IGN: Huskey
    Server: KradiaEMS
    Level: 160
    Job: Aran
    Guild: UndiesPatrol
    Alliance: UndiesUnited
    netherlands

Downloaded it, played it for 3.5ish hours, loving it even more than I did. Great game/story/whateverthisis

2. Default

Since Nexon screwed up and there is no x2 today, I'm just starting it now.

3. Default

Finished reading Lilly's path. I have good and bad things to say about it, and I'll do a mini review in the morning.

4. Default

Been playing for 5 hours now and on two runs, I've ended up with the bad end both times without even getting onto a girl's route. I just don't even.

5. Default

F`uck Katawa Shoujo. Goddamn it. I've seen this thread for a while now, but every time I checked G+ or Twitter.. KATAWA SHOUJO ALL UP IN MAH GRILL. So I guess since everybody's reading it, I might as well too. I was going to hold it off after I finish off Little Busters, but who knows how long that'd take.. So meh. That and I heard Katawa Shoujo has great incentives for playing. Girls with illnesses and sh`it? F`uckyeah. We're probably talking Key-tier quality bi`tchtears out of my anus.

6. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

b'itchtears out of my anus

my god lol

7. Default

Played way longer than I should have, but I finished both Rin and Lilly's routes yesterday.

Rin

Lilly

Going to start Emi's path today but I'm trying to refrain myself from reading too much.

FoolsLove, Felix's thread has a guide telling you the critical choices to go on each path in case you still have trouble getting the correct combinations.

8. Default

Oh, thanks, lol. I ended up on Rin's route last night and got to Act 3 before I went to bed.

9. Default

Have played for ~4 hours now, went for Emi first. Somewhere around the beginning of Act 2 right now.

10. Default

Downloaded it...took a much shorter time than I thought though; always had a bad impression of torrents.

Wasn't expecting H-scenes, really. I wonder how smooth the H-scene skipping is...not that I would skip them, for fear of causing the story to be disjointed.

Will start playing it soon. I will become the real life Keima!!

11. Neon Atom Straight Male

IGN: Huskey
    Server: KradiaEMS
    Level: 160
    Job: Aran
    Guild: UndiesPatrol
    Alliance: UndiesUnited
    netherlands

Just finished Emi's good ending, without having to go back on any choices. Still loving this more and more as I go on. Will probably do other characters in the course of the coming weeks. Am really curious to see how they turn out.

12. Default

I also finished Emi's route. I liked how well the choices connected to each other. They actually give you a second chance, too, surprisingly.

Emi

About H-scenes, I think Rin's is important, but you won't be missing out on too much with Lilly's or Emi's /* , other than their expressions of "a healthy adolescent sex drive." */

13. Default

Nowhere near finished with any route...taking my time with multiple saves trying to get all the options done.

I think I've stumbled onto Emi's route. Probably have Hanako's route open too. Judging from that little spat /* Lilly had with Shizune and Misha */ and my subsequent choice, I either have /* Shizune's (and possibly Misha's, seeing as they're really close) */ route closed or very very nearly closed. And of course, stumbling onto Emi's route probably means that her rather...eccentric friend becomes available too.

Yes, I play VNs like Kirino from OreImo does. Though this is only my third VN, and the previous two weren't exactly...uhh...un-naughty ones.

I have to say, this VN is really lenient. There are really few scenes that can be completely missed.

Spoiler

I wanna see this VN remade into an anime or remade by some Japanese VN studio with better art. Just to see how much cuter Emi can be when she pouts if the art is done by pros.

Oh, and without the backgrounds being all photoshopped photographs.

EDIT: The hell. Emi's acting like my mom already. I'm pretty firmly stuck in her route it seems. I get the feeling Emi's route's the easiest to get into, befitting her amiable and easy-going personality.
    Last edited by Hanabira.Kage; 2012-01-06 at 01:59 AM.

14. Default

Bleh. Emi's route has no second chance?

Well, guess it's rather obvious that /* leaving her alone is for the best. */

Anyway, Emi Bad End get! Now to continue with my original Good End save.

EDIT: Checked my other Bad End save for a good measure...and well, looks like there IS a second chance. Hell, it's obviously tonnes better than the proper Good End route, having compared them. /* Emi's a whole lot less defensive in Act 4 if the second chance route is taken. */ The Good End route gives Hisao a little closure on his...previous "relationship" before Act 4 begins though.

EDIT2: Emi Good End get! Well, from the Second Chance though, which I think...skips out on stuff. Probably. Maybe I should check out my Good End route save.

EDIT3: Done with Emi. Hurrah. Not much different from the Second Chance route though. No idea whether I should go for Hanako or Misha next. I kinda like Misha (or rather, I like them both), actually, though I can't shake the feeling that her cheery personality may be all just a facade, /* especially after playing through Emi's route. */
    Last edited by Hanabira.Kage; 2012-01-06 at 11:03 AM.

15. Default

Once you're in a path (you finished Act 1), there's no way to switch paths, as far as I know. And yeah, Emi's path is the easiest to reach; all you have to do is pick "yes" when the nurse asks you whether you'll work harder, and then pick "go for it" when running. Both choices seem like "good" choices so it's pretty easy to get put down that path. If you side with Lilly in the argument prior to that, you're automatically in Emi's path. If you don't pick a side, you have a choice between Emi and Shizune.

I finished reading everyone's path but Emi's. The plots range between predictably boring and fairly interesting, and I can't say I'm a big fan of the way VNs are presented, either, with the repetitive backgrounds, music, and character art. What really makes the stories worth reading, though, is the character depth and development. It's really interesting how even though the premise was that each of the girls is physically disabled in some way, those physical disabilities are largely inconsequential and the stories are really about dealing with social and emotional "disabilities." Rin may have no arms, but she has much larger issues with self-identity and learning to cope with change. Hanako may be permanently scarred across half her body, but her real issues lie in trust and self-worth. It sends the message that even though these girls are disabled, they are still real people with real feelings and the same problems that everyone else has. I really appreciated that.

Lilly

Rin

Hanako

Shizune

Edit: @Above, there is no Misha route.
    ACTUAL SPOILERS

16. Default

Oh. Seeing as she was listed under the heroines in the readme, I thought she had her own route.

*looks at spoiler anyway*

Well, figured as much. Best friends are...you know. Expected it the moment Hisao commented that they seem inseparable back in Act 1. Figure the same might apply to Lilly and Hanako, but neither seem the type to get worked up over something so trivial, so I don't think Lilly or Hanako would disapprove of Hisao developing a relationship with one of them.

17. Default

Got 100% completion! Well, I don't know how happy I am about that. Didn't do much else the past few days. Still, I enjoyed reading this.

Shizune

Hanako

General Stuff
    Last edited by Salguod; 2012-01-07 at 10:50 PM.

18. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

Just stopping in to post this blog info I came across of 2ch commenting on this game. I find it funny.

[SankakuComplex]
    2ch has finally gotten wind ofthe release of 4chan-originated cripple-fancying game Katawa Shoujo, and even they are not sparing in expressing their outrage and disgust at its “discrimination against the disabled” – most having apparently forgotten their own notorious hatred of Koreans so as not to spoil the chance to engage in some righteous outrage against the insensitive barbarians…

Most clearly cannot get past the game’s jarring title:
    “I don’t care about the content, but give the naming some thought already. Are they trying to market this with outrage or what?”
    [The game's title of "cripple girl" is as cringe-inducing in Japanese as it would be in English, and would be regarded as outrageously offensive towards disabled people in Japan]
    “Wasn’t ‘katawa’ a discriminatory term?”
    “It ‘became’ discriminatory. They used to use it all the time.”
    “There are a lot of moe-type eroge like thi reallys. But that title is totally out of line.”
    “That title is going too far.”
    “I cannot understand this.”
    “Amazing title there.”
    “Somebody tell them that ‘katawa’ is banned from TV in Japan…”
    “It’s ‘voluntary restraint’ by stations so you can use it as much as you like in drama or print.”
    “The naming is a bit…”
    “The naming isn’t ‘a bit…’ – it’s totally out of line!”
    “This is completely AUTO.”
    “Disgusting.”
    [In English:] “i don’t like discrimination. it shouldn’t mention it.”
    [In response to a Japanese Kotaku writer who took the ultra-politically-correct measure of writing "deaf" without using kanji:]
    “At least write ‘deaf’ using kanji [so ろうあ becomes 聾唖], you can’t even read your writing properly otherwise. People who right ‘disabled’ half in kanji and half in kana [by omitting the '害' character for 'harm' so 'disabled person' goes from '障害者' to '障がい者'] are just as bad.”
    “The people who thought this up are the real cripples.”
    “They have explained about the name themselves, back in 2008:”
    [English version, they also provide a shorter Japanese version which more heavily stresses their poor Japanese skills - although their apparent lack of awareness of the controversy surrounding English terms like "handicapped" and "cripple" is probably equally telling:]
    “As expected, the name of the project sparked controversy, but in an even larger proportion than what I thought it would.
    To explain what’s all this about, the word ‘katawa’ is quite degoratory in Japanese, perhaps comparable to English racial slurs like chink, spic and so on.
    As you can guess, if we were making a heart-warming visual novel about the hard life of jewish school kids in the WW2 Germany and name it ‘Kike Girls’, it might raise a few eyebrows.
    Maybe a reasonable translation of Katawa Shoujo would be ‘Retard Girls’, which is equally offensive though not exactly accurate. Anyway, it’s a really really bad idea to name the game that, so why? Why?
    It’s not like we intentionally want to offend, and we did not come up with the name ourselves. The origin of the name is of course Japan itself, with Raita and his original concept picture of KS.
    Due to the name being readily available from the picture and the general idea of staying as true to it as possible, the name was adopted to the project without a second thought (and I don’t think anyone with enough finesse in Japanese was around at the time to point out the problem with the name).
    Raita is not to blame though, he can name his doujin extras whatever he wants, the reason or blame is in the strange circumstances of the conception of this game.
    So why not change the name? We have thought about changing the name for this very reason before (and also because an English game having a Japanese name felt odd to some), but gave up on it because it would be patently stupid.
    Due to our relatively high profile the project would just end up as ‘the game formerly known as Katawa Shoujo’ and it would change absolutely nothing. So we kept the name, and we probably will even in the future.”
    “Don’t they have a poor girl as well?”
    “What about Ainu?”
    “Burn victims are disabled? This I did not know.”
    “I did some research after wondering about this. [He quotes the various equivalent grades of disfigurement and disability recognised by the Japanese government.] So, it seems it is recognised as a disability. However, the ‘gross outward disfigurement’ doesn’t apply to men (all this is apparently upheld by supreme court rulings).”
    “Thanks. I had no idea it was determined in such detail.”
    “Disability pensions and disability benefits are handled by two totally different systems though.”
    “Foreigners made this? But they still made the art look Japanese?”
    “Stinks like Koreans.”
    “Koreans loathe disabled people, there’s no way they would think them worthy of romantic attention.”
    “How could a girl with no arms or burns on her face engage in a romantic relationship? It’s impossible, isn’t it?”
    “Can they get away with making eroge overseas? I expect they’ll be bashing Japan again for this in any case.”
    “I can do without guro, but if this is a tear-jerker then I’m all for it.”
    “They finished this? Is there really demand for it…”
    “Wow. Gross.”
    “People who play this are handicapped themselves.”
    “So they made a barrier-free eroge! Foreigners have pioneered an undeveloped genre…”
    “So do all the girls have penises or what?”
    “I remember in ONE there is a scene with an actual retard, I was pretty shocked. Even more so that there was an ero-scene with her…”
    “ONE had blind, mute and deaf girls, as well as a mentally disabled girl. She sounded like Pikachu.”
    “This is just a rehash of doing those blind and retarded girls in ONE.”
    “Are girls with flat chests cripples too?”
    “I like Raita’s art.”
    “I want to see the doujinshi which set this off…”
    “It was just this:”

“This could make a pretty good story if done right.”
    “I thought the original was monochrome. Who coloured it?”
    “I like the art. Not that I’ll play it.”
    “As far as eroge are concerned, the characters are always emotional cripples anyway.”
    “Men like girls weaker than themselves, don’t they? For creepy otaku, the only ones weaker than them are little girls and retards. That’s why they are prone to having these repulsive tastes.”
    “The character design is 100% galge, isn’t it?”
    “They actually completed it?”
    “They still hadn’t finished it yet?”
    “I think it’s amazing that they finished it. Most of these sorts of projects lapse and get abandoned.”
    “I thought it was a one-shot, but they brought it to completion. Impressive.”
    “None of our capricious 2ch inhabitants could match this.”
    “4chan is just seriously gross. They are obsessed with ero and anime only, so it’s purely the haunt of creepy otaku types.”
    “They like cats too.”
    “Like you’re one to talk!”
    “I’m interested but as there’s no Japanese version I’m so out of luck.”
    “The Japanese version is sure to be a long way off…”
    “They are recruiting translators for a Japanese version.”
    “To the yanks we’re just cripples ourselves for not understanding English.”
    “I just remembered that now… At middle school there was a girl with an artificial arm. I flipped her skirt and got slapped with her silicone hand… it hurt at the time, but now I think of it, it’s a fond memory.”
    “It may be a fond memory to you, but to her it may be an indelible lifelong scar!”
    “She was probably secretly delighted to be treated just like any other girl.”
    [/quote]

At the very least, its an interesting read to go over some of it.

19. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

Just stopping in to post this blog info I came across of 2ch commenting on this game. I find it funny.

At the very least, its an interesting read to go over some of it.

20. Default

I'm not surprised at all by the reaction from the Japanese. What. Did people expect Katawa Shoujo to be highly praised? www