Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Taking advantage does not necessarily mean using only solar power for every industry/every means of creating electricity. I am assuming he means to put it on buildings and areas where it can generate electricity when the sun is out and when it isn't, use either fossil fuels or oil to get electricity from a power company. You can use the solar panels to generate electricity for yourself/your business or whatever you need it for and then sell back the excess electricity to the power company.

2. Default

Or none of you have heard of this concept called a "battery" that does this thing called "storing" with energy.

You harvest more solar energy in a day than you need, you store the excess, and at night when the big blinky blink burny thing goes away the battery provides the magic flowy juice until the blink blink burny thing comes back and starts making more energy to capture.

And FYI, http://howsolarworks.1bog.org/solar-myths/ (Cached: http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us )
    http://www.sunnydaymn.com/learn.html

3. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Mmmhm I knew most of those, but some were interesting to read. Called #3 though.
    I feel its more about trying to stop being so dependent on oil and coal even though we keep finding more and more reserves of them. I'm not exactly an environmentalist, but I am a realist. Continuing on our current path is unsustainable, especially with our energy needs skyrocketing.

4. Default

where are we finding more oil and coal? i'm under the impression almost all of the significant discoveries have been made.

5. Default

Some facts are okay, but the whole thing reeks of propagandistic advertisement.

6. Default

So fact check and prove them wrong. Should be simple if they are.

7. Default

The poles. Also, there are huge amounts of petroleum on mud soils (the US included). Just happens that the extraction process is not as cost effective as obtaining oil from other sources (like... buying it?).

See Canada.
    Spoiler

They have an oil source that rivals those of Saudi Arabia in terms of quantity. It just happens that this source is all mixed up with mud. Thus why there's now a renewed interest on studying muds/clays. And I suppose oil companies are now researching better/more cost efficient ways to extract the oil from those fields as well.

PS: Poor muds used to be ignored because oil companies were not interested in them and geologists are lazy pineapples. But now, everyone loves mud! Happy end.

8. Default

And yet still finite, leaving the continuing question of where do we find more if this is the only thing focused on?

9. Default

we have known about everything on the surface for at least 50 years...

i rather hope oil companies arent seriously researching oil muds/clays and oil shales. by the time they figure out how to make it cost effective / break even, those resources could have made solar profitable.

10. Default

Let us look at this from a logical perspective - If you have a monopoly on one of the only effective power sources in the known world but you know it's finite and will run out, do you

A) Spend your time and resources trying to eke every last drop out of it knowing full well it's still going to run out.
    or
    B) Eke every last drop out of it while also trying to be the forerunner of new energy sources so you can maintain your energy monopoly when your first one exhausts itself and don't become replaced by the next upstart company that thinks ahead

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Tough choice

11. Default

Splurge it on video games derppp

12. Default

I'd say they already have and are just waiting to release the technology when they've milked our current resources for all they are worth. Announcing a new energy source prematurely could only hurt sales on their older stuff. Of course, they would have to balance that with the risk of someone else discovering what they are currently delaying on releasing, but when you get that rich you can easily just make someone disappear if something like that were to happen, I suppose.

13. Default

As a general rule I don't accept any conspiracy theory involving more than 3 people being complicit as a legitimate possibility.

14. Default

But but but the government and big business

15. Default

Yeah remember how they've kept area 51 and all the alien visitors and their secret plans to create a world government of fascists?

16. Default

Wasn't really stating it as a conspiracy theory. Fact is, the more money you have, the more you can make it so things go your way, regardless of variables.

The beginnings of a conspiracy theory would be to say Bernie Madoff only got in trouble after he got caught because he stole from people richer than he was. Which, actually, I happen to agree with that one to an extent, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he would have gotten off clean.

17. Default

Exxon.

Also, lazypedia:
    Anyway. I wouldn't wait for any "major" oil companies to jump into the "alternative energy" wagon any time soon. Hell, they don't even need to have a plan. They can just wiggle their juicy money/resources at whoever and ask for a merge when the time is right. Done.

Next thing you know. Exxon Mobile - Helping the planet breathe, one wind turbine at a time.

18. Default

Isn't Chevron already saying they do that?

19. Default

All I'm saying is that anything that requires to consume stuff is going to be exploited until there's no more left. And I wasn't talking about hydrogen exactly, mainly everything else.

People laughed about petrol back in the day too.