Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starcraft 2

1. Default

1/1/1 uses Marine out of a reactor rax, tanks out of a tech fact w/ siege tech, and banshees out of a starport. It hits at about 9:00.

Here's why Protoss has a hard time with it:
    (1) Protoss can't get out Templar tech fast enough to deal with 1/1/1. Even if they did, if they screwed up one storm they would insta-lose.
    (2) Protoss doesn't have a safe build in the matchup that can react to all enemy build orders. P needs to scout T to figure out which of the 10-20 builds Terran could be doing, and a bunker at the front doesn't give much tell as to what build it is. P could go for obs, but that forces Colo tech. Even Colo tech isn't good enough because it's incredibly difficult to get out Thermal Lance before 1/1/1 hits, making marines have more DPS than colo, and siege tanks will get two shots off on the colo before it's in range. Also Colo doesn't provide any answer for the banshee. While Stalkers are nice, they get owned both by marines and tanks. Also, investing in Colo is a huge expense because you need a robo, colo den, thermal lance, and the colo itself, and then you might only have one colo for the attack. If he kills your colo you insta-lose yet again because, comparatively, he doesn't need to invest near as much in tech as P does.
    (3) T can continue building another wave after the first 1/1/1 attack that's about 75 - 80% of the strength of the first hit. If P can even manage to hold off the first wave, they will crumble under the second wave.
    (4) In most 1/1/1 attacks, the tanks and banshees die but the marines don't. A few zealots without charge simply don't last long against marines out of a reactored rax.
    (5) If P decides to hold off on one base and not move out, P will simply be contained to one base while T expands. It's incredibly difficult to break out of a siege contain. Also, if P goes Templar tech in this situation and T contains, T automatically wins because he can spread his units out thus nullifying Templar. Also, the second wave from the 1/1/1 build will reinforce the contain making it harder and harder to break out.
    (6) Zealot/Archon isn't a possibility. Terran has so much DPS that they can suicide to kill P's archons and then retreat for the banshees to mop up the zealots.

The only soft counters to the build are 1 gate expo and 15 nex, both of which are quite risky themselves. So Protoss has to always go for a risky build in PvT in order to have a hope of surviving. There are a few people that refuse to play Protoss anymore because PvP requires the 4 gate and now PvT requires some ungodly risky build to survive. In PvZ at least you can use Blink Stalkers.... oh wait, that's getting nerfed by 30 seconds next patch!

Allowing P to tech faster makes P OP, but making certain T tech trees slower doesn't affect the matchup much because it's so easy for T to switch to any other factory unit (hellions/thors) or any other Starport unit (Ravens can soft counter Stalkers, Vikings hard counter Colo openings, medivacs make Marines stronger).

2. Default

I just find it weird how things that were never OP before just suddenly get used in a winning tournament to much success and then they become OP strategies. The only thing that changed with the 1/1/1 with beta and now is the supply depot before rax really, but even after supply depot rax, it was still used.

3. Default

Protoss really has no way to deal with any sort of high DPS units save for splash damage. All splash damage units require tech.

http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-32...ny-zvp-5396894
    http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-32...ny-zvp-5396918
    http://blip.tv/day9tv/day-9-daily-32...ny-zvp-5396920

Destiny uses a 2 base infestor/ling timing against Protoss that's incredibly brutal. The point of his build is to take out the natural's nexus. From there P's economy is so hampered that Z can keep P contained to 2 bases and just overwhelm with macro.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft..._(vs._Protoss)

However, there are possible counters to his build. Observers or photon cannons at the natural coupled with templar (even without storm) counters this timing.

4. Default

1/1/1 in beta was Marauder, float your factory to scout, and make Vikings to kill Void Rays.

5. Default

Working on the Campaign and custom game achievements.

The only viable way of winning 1 v 4 very hard AI seems to be a cannon rush <_<

And winning vs insane AI in StarJeweled seems hard :(

6. Default

Same here, haha. Except that I go play some custom maps in my spare time and just play those (fun stuff, and seeing the extent of what the map editor is capable of). Lately it has been just ZHRPG though.

7. Deluxe Refrigerator Male
    IGN: GlaciaIWolf
    Server: Broa
    Level: 146
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Forte
    Alliance: HighestLevel
    canada

Here.Found this really cool custom map for anyone who wants to get better at the core mechanics of the game. I think it'd be pretty useful for anyone who wants to get better.

8. Default

You forgot the Uniden one :(

9. Deluxe Refrigerator Male
    canada

Uniden:
    Spoiler

and a special treat

Starcraft: The Highschool Drama
    Spoiler

10. Deluxe Refrigerator Male
    canada

Pardon the double post, but the GSL All Stars team match is streaming right now. The HQ stream is free for this one so that's something. Then finals 4 hours later.

Jupiter team is comprised of:
    Nestie
    Jinro
    MMA
    MC
    July

Venus is comprised of
    Boxer
    Huk
    Fruitdealer
    MarineKingPrime
    Losira

EDIT: MC is off racing as Zerg. Losira is off racing as Terran. MarineKing is off racing as Protoss.
    Last edited by CommanderJinn; 2011-09-10 at 01:16 AM.

11. Default

I'm the same way, but I can somehow focus better in 2v2 lol
    1v1: bronze
    2v2: gold -_-

12. Default

Probably because you have more confidence in your abilities when you can have someone to send back up :B

13. Default

And because people that play 2v2s are often less serious about the game(ofcourse there is hardcore 2v2 players, don't get me wrong)
    I started out bronze 1v1 and gold 2v2 and i didnt feel that the players were too different. I only played placement matches for 2v2, so i may be wrong.

14. Default

Most people are ranked higher in 2v2. It's less competitive. I'm Gold in 1v1 and I'm Platinum in 2v2 with my 1v1 Platinum friend.

15. Default

I wouldn't know
    I haven't really played that much

I've played enough to know that by far my favourite unit is the colossus :D
    Lvl 1 ground weapons and range upgrade make them so strong, to my inferior knowledge

16. Default

Am i the only one watching Dreamhack? :P

HuK just had an amazing comeback against Thorzain

17. Deluxe Refrigerator Male
    canada

I was, but the stream was too laggy for me earlier this morning. I wonder if Thorzain can get a second major championship here.

EDIT:THORZAIN!!!!!!!
    Last edited by CommanderJinn; 2011-09-17 at 03:37 PM.

18. Default

There's a womens tourney going on from the TL streams list. Pretty interesting in terms of comparing styles between men and women.

19. Deluxe Refrigerator Male
    canada

We should get some practice partners going in this thread. I know there are a ton of silver leveled players (I myself am high bronze-low silver) here.