View Poll Results: Would you consider the following scenario botting?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 76.85%
  • No

25 23.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Botting

1. Default

Using your feet would still be legal though, because YOU are the one actual holding down a key, even if you are game-conscious or not. An inanimate object pushing a button down IS botting though.

2. Default

What if your finger is a heavy object?
    Anyways I consider botting as not consciously being aware of you pressing buttons. When you distract yourself from ms and you are focused on something that is not MS while holding a button in any way, shape, or form and you are sending instructions to the game so that your character can get exp you are botting.

With that said I do not find it ethic because you are not fully engaged in the game and you are not enduring the suffering that non-botters have to endure, the suffering of staring at a monitor for countless hours while brain activity is close to nil.

3. Harrisonized

So if you hold a cell phone in one hand and hold the button with another hand, you're botting, because you're focused on something that's not MS. Is that what you're saying?

4. Default

Yep. You are using a function of MS yet your consciousness is on the cell phone. As far as I know you are playing MS without having knowledge of whats happening in the game and doing an auto-cast. Unless of course your brain and sight is advanced enough to multi-task. Example- I can text msg on my blackberry without looking at phone, and I am consciously spamming heal while looking at MS, so that is not botting. But the minute you look away from MS, and assume things as they are (you pressing heal, you attacking monsters) you are botting.

5. Default

What is wrong with just playing the game in the way it was intended to be played?

If you don't like how long training takes, then perhaps you shouldn't play it

Using feet just so that you have your hands and eyes free for something else isn't playing MS properly

6. Default

It's not really botting to my opinion coz as long as you're there you're not technically botting. However doing that isn't going to be much use coz if you hold down the attack key (or skill key) for too long, your character would stop attacking or using his/her skill unless you move around.

7. Default

Just like autoclicking, where you may be at the computer... not fair, should deserve a ban.

8. Default

Ridiculous!

Botting is useing a third party program, usually called a bot, to play the game completley for you. If you are just jamming your heal button (which is really, all thats necessary on some maps) who gives a crap? While you might be doing something else at the time, like texting on your blackberry, so the hell what? Its not like you see MapleTips saying doing anything other then having your complete and undivided attention on your character while you play is considered botting. Say I shut my eyes and fell half asleep, doing nothing but pressing my shift (happened to me once, got too tired while training) and woke up an hour later from this half-slumber wth 10% more exp then i did before (Ignoring the possibility of that, it is an example). Since I was not paying attention, would that be considered botting? Hell no! I'm not using 3rd party programs to carry out complex game functions while im off say, on a date with my girlfriend. I belive you guys are reading the ToS section a bit too generally- The extra crap about "or any other behavior that allows you (or any character you are controlling) to automatically function or effect any action in a game with or without your presence. " is just there so that people cannot argue back when they say they didn't technically use a programmable "bot" but some other bullcrap programmable device such as mentioned before, a programmable keyboard. Thats just there for Nexon to be able to pull that part of the ToS as an excuse to ignore pleas of defence once their account is banned. Whatever your guys morals may be, really who gives a crap if hes getting is homework done? Hes letting his character train with a stapler, still at his computer keeping track of the screen making sure he doesn't die, that constitutes him being present. Leaving the stapler on the keyboard while he wasn't there, as we know, wouldn't work anyway because of the limited attack defence, and he would probobly get killed either way depending on what he was training on.

TL;DR: You're blowing the definition of botting WAY, WAY out of proportion. It would be simple over-exageration and over generalization to consider something like this botting.

Even more ridiculous! It is nothing like autoclicking. He is still playing the game, and paying enough attention to keep his character alive while hes doing it, and getting his homework done!
    Kudos to the OP for being clever in this manner. Either way, I seriously doubt the GMs give a crap about this kind of thing anyway...
    Last edited by Colyo; 2008-10-24 at 08:55 AM. Reason: moar quotes

9. Default

How is repeatedly pressing a button without moving a finger not like autoclicking?

It's like clicking to try to get in, except you don't have to put any effort in it, you can just do homework or whatever until it works.

if you define botting differently than Nexon, you are the one who will get banned. Not them.

10. Default

From Nexon's Site:

Botting: Using a macro, third-party program, or physical method to play the game in a repetitive manner. If you're over level 20, it merits a permanent ban.

That's pretty cut and dry; there's no ambiguity about it and it's in 2 different links we've provided. It's against the rules. I don't understand why there's so many people that can't follow rules...
    Last edited by psychopat; 2008-10-24 at 09:22 AM.

11. Water
    IGN: FinalHeart95
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 4x
    Job: Bandit
    Guild: Pineapples
    Alliance: Pumpernickel

It's unfair because he can do something else and still get the rewards of experience while all the legits grind for hours upon hours. You are the rediculous one, as botting doesn't necessarily have to be a third-party program. It's attacking without actually performing the action of attacking, or pressing down the button yourself. Also, would you notice a difference whether he was near the computer, in another room, or in another state looking at his character in the game?

To the bolded, then he would be performing an action, and it wouldn't be botting. The TC never said he was paying attention.

Besides, how is just holding a button down with a stapler fun?

12. Default

Keywords are not "you are in front of your computer" - keywords are "holding it down with a stapler". Whether or not you are in front of computer is irrelevant. The stapler is your 3rd party program.

13. Default

I concede defeat on all other arguements but this one-

what, is someone going to sneak into my house and see me mapling with a stapler on my shift key and report my account to nexon?

]

And this one, just getting some EXP while finishing your homework, its obviously not fun, just less time spent grinding later on.
    Doing his homework for what, half an hour... That isnt going to save him hours and ours of grinding.. Even if it did, do you REALLY care?

(lulz, first arguement in a while with 2 logical viewpoints)
    Last edited by Colyo; 2008-10-24 at 04:50 PM.

14. Harrisonized

Omg. I cannot believe how retarded some people are.
    I'm not trying to flame but I'm pretty sure many would agree with me that you lack the common sense.
    Exactly.
    I remember reading somewhere that in [MSEA?] if a GM suspects you of botting, he will walk up to you and ask you to reply and if you don't within a certain amount of time, he'll ban you. However, if you are sitting in front of your computer, you would see the GM and be able to reply to him.
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2008-10-24 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerge!

15. Default

if you are so for what you're doing, why bother asking people?

16. Water
    IGN: FinalHeart95
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 4x
    Job: Bandit
    Guild: Pineapples
    Alliance: Pumpernickel

It will save him hours and hours if he bots often. Also, I would care if it affected my spot in the rankings...

17. Harrisonized

Although I did not state whether or not I consider either scenario to be botting, I may have implied that the scenarios are not. I say that it is within reason to do that...
    However, although I have my opinions, I want to know the opinions of others.
    (And if that was written in response to what I said about ndynslvr, go look at his post again. It's utterly fail.)
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2008-10-24 at 10:50 PM.

18. Default

You people are being ridiculous. I'm a robot (bot) if I hold a key without paying attention to the computer?

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffffffffff
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
    ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff fffffffffffffff

YAY! I'M A ROBOT! WOOTWOOT!

Seriously. How ridiculous does THAT sound? He's still present at his computer, what's the difference between him holding a button with his finger and holding it with a stapler? And what does it matter to you anyway?! You play your game, they can play theirs.

19. Default

Botting or not, it is justifiable enough if you don't bother anyone. Heck, I even consider some hackers nice.

In my opinion, it pretty much depends on what you believe to be right. Like when I earned my zhelm, there was superfluous controversy about the 'earning' status (since it was my very first run as a dk/attacker, and no one but I needed that extra helm). The organiser charged me for a helm that should have been left in the altar till oblivion, which I found to be illogical.

If I had to choose whether it is 'botting' or not, I'd say yes; if I had to choose whether it is 'fair' or not, I'd say no; but if you ask me it's right or wrong, it's up to you.

@Clint: Why do you bother? He made a thread asking for opinions and you asked "What does it matter to you?". Sire, we were asked to share opinions, period.
    Last edited by Kalovale; 2008-10-25 at 10:18 PM.

20. Default

I GOT A GOOD ONE, what if your holding a stapler in your hand and the stapler is pressing the button.
    Your watching the screen aswell as the tv beside you.
    Just face it who the fuuck cares.