View Poll Results: Would you consider the following scenario botting?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 76.85%
  • No

25 23.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Botting

1. Harrisonized

Default Botting

I made the same thread on SW as well...

Consider the following scenario:

A person needs to do homework. Although he probably shouldn't be on MapleStory, he is... and wants to train. So he gets into a safe spot and uses a stapler to hold his key down so he can train while doing homework. He is AT THE COMPUTER... like, sitting in front of it, but instead of holding down the key with his hand, he is holding it down with a stapler.

I'm just wondering how many people think this is botting.
    (Keywords: you are in front of your computer.)

2. Default

It is botting. Any action that you are not performing directly IS botting and always will be.

EDIT:

Taken from the Nexon terms of use:
    There you have it. It says right there that it IS botting. (also, lol at 'booting' instead of 'botting')
    Last edited by whybanme; 2008-10-23 at 03:29 PM.

3. Default

In my own opinion, if you're not the one pressing the key, then you're botting. Whether you're at the computer or not.

4. Neutron
    IGN: 123Thomas123
    Server: Khaini gMS
    Level: 199
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: SoulBound/Symbolic

It's botting. I don't care if they are behind the desk, if they don't perform the action themselves it's botting. It's not that hard to press the buttons on your own keyboard.

5. Water
    IGN: FinalHeart95
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 4x
    Job: Bandit
    Guild: Pineapples
    Alliance: Pumpernickel

He's not actually playing the game. Botting.

6. Won't Be Coming Back

IGN: Southperry:
    Server: Land
    Level: of
    Job: Chinchillas,
    Guild: Pineapples,
    Alliance: and opossums.

he will get owned by the limited attack defense after 1~2 mins, because he attacked too much and didnt move, so IMO its not botting and not not botting. its just standing in the same place and blinking.

7. Default

Yep, I agree with Nexon's ToS in this case; I also feel that doing things like that "with or without your presence" is botting. You could accomplish the same thing with a programmable keyboard, but if you're not the one actively pressing those keys over and over, you're not playing the game yourself.

8. Default

If you need to do your homework, then exit off MS and do your homework. You don't ever "need" to train, botting and using homework as an excuse is just stupid, nothing more.

I voted "yes" for it being botting.

9. Harrisonized

I posted the following scenario on SW as well:

You are soloing Anego as a mage, which will take 2.5 hours, so you decide to make better use of your time during this 2.5 hours of paralyzing. You put paralyze on spacebar and put a stapler on top, so you can do something else while waiting for the Anego to die...

10. Default

ok what if i do my homework whist grinding at hoodoos on my cleric with my one pinky finger on the heal button.
    im doing the work but honestly, is it any better?
    NO who cares nexon will never find out if its your finger or a heavy object.

11. Default

Funny, I remember Nexon's ToS saying the exact same thing about holding down a key with a stapler being considered botting xD (may not be now, but when I was reading it in my nib days, yes)

In response to your two scenarios Harrisonized, I would like you to consider this: imagine that you thought about completing the 1000 drums quest (and I know you have finished it) and you thought about using a botting method of some sort, so you don't have to deal with what would obviously be monotony. Afterwards, you thought you'd apply the same rational with training up levels, so instead of "wasting" time at the computer playing MapleStory, you can do other activities such as homework. Pretty soon, this rational can go through virtually everything you do on MapleStory (except chatting and maybe relocating >_>).

I think that's really not playing the game anymore, and since a computer can stay awake 24/7, that's not really fair for other honest people and it is really not intended by the game producers.

12. Default

Seriously what mage would do that? Your attacks get nullified after about 80-100 attacks without moving, so essentially if you have Anego pinned up at her movement box, you'd be dead. Saying that, it's impossible for mages to bot at Anego, so no, it's not botting. :P

13. Won't Be Coming Back

IGN: Helioh
    Server: Mardia
    Level: OMO
    Job: Hunter
    Alliance: '_-

Not botting. Botting requires the use of software. It's stated bluntly that it's against the ToS, so a ban for it would be justifiable, but Nexon is incorrect in calling it botting. Doing this is just as lame as leeching.
    Last edited by Findings; 2008-10-23 at 05:46 PM.

14. Harrisonized

Yes, I do have the drum bunny quest completed, but when I did it, the drum bunnies were located VERY far apart, so using this method would not work. However, I'm not talking about getting to the point where you would ditch your computer entirely, I'm simply talking about doing this AT the computer.
    In the first scenario presented, I was actually helping my friend to complete his rice sack quest. I would put explosion on a button, turn off booster (so it lasts longer), and stick a stapler there so that I would have both hands to do another activity. When the explosion stopped firing, I would notice and look up, and reset the 'counter' by touching a Retz.

The difference between that and what most people consider playing, is that instead of using one hand and looking down to read my textbook, I'm using a stapler so I can use both hands to read my textbook. Notice that I would have read my textbook anyways, whether or not I'm using my hand.

And yes, I know people who put MG and Genesis on a macro and afk overnight with autopot and an inventory maxed out on pots. I consider that botting, because the person is NOT at the computer. The situation presented in the poll is considering, let me repeat, that the person IS sitting in front of his computer.
    When Anego spawns, it can't pass those chair things, so you can stand behind that point and although it's not really pinning, Anego can't hit you. Yes, your attacks get nullified, but they will get nullified whether or not you're using your hand OR your stapler. Either way, you'd have to reset it every minute, hence, sitting in front of your computer.
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2008-10-23 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerge plox.

15. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

People are having trouble deciding what you mean O_o.

Do you feel that

a) Botting is okay.
    or
    b) It's crappy and stupid and it's against the rules.

16. Default

if you have to resort to using a heavy object to help you play, perhaps maple isn't the game for you.

17. Water
    IGN: tzkbowman
    Server: Scania
    Level: 120
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: [A]rrowAcademy
    Alliance: N/A
    California

I have another scenario that I like to ask about. It is just like the above, but since you only need one hand to write, you rest your hand on the spacebar (the attack) while your other hand writes. The conscience is in the HW, however, instead of the game.

18. Default

Putting something on the keyboard is NOT botting if you are at the keyboard but just not pressing the button physically, even if you are doing something else.

Ever heard of this wonderful thing called feet? You could easily just put your feet on your keyboard to "bot" by this definition, because you aren't using them for what you are doing, be it homework or whatever else. But your feet are still a part of your body like your hands. I used to play Diablo II with my right foot and my left hand after I broke my right hand. If you consider using your feet to hold down a key botting, then technically by your standard I was botting Diablo II. Seeing as playing some classes only involves holding down a button, such as in Monkey Forest II parties where 2 hunters can just hold down the arrow bomb key at each level, you are technically just multitasking. If you are using a 3rd party program, or are not at the computer, you are botting because you are not actually doing anything at all, the computer is playing itself. Even doing other things while you hold down a key can still involve you watching the game at bare minimum. But a program can just do what you want by itself, by potting and attacking for you.

Also, when should the terms of service be what determines the definition of botting? The ToS is full of contradictions, such as not being able to make a regular name for your character or make the name gibberish.

19. Peanuts
    IGN: BaconSkewers
    Server: Bera
    Level: 210
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: Acrylic
    Alliance: Honour

It doesn't matter if you are actually botting or not.

What matters is if other people think you're botting. If it looks like you're botting to others, then you're going to be reported as a botter.