Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Why is this troll science wrong?

I know for a fact that it's wrong, but why it's wrong I don't know.

Troll Science

2. Can of Soup Straight Male
    IGN: chicoran
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Aran IV
    Guild: Risk
    Alliance: Bastion
    venezuela

You can't remove a proton, you can remove a electron but no a proton because is impossible to change elemmental matter.

3. Default

I think it's mainly the practicality of the concept. It's theoretically possible to do. Just not practical on a scale larger than a few atoms.

4. Can of Soup Straight Male
    venezuela

It's that possible last time i checked a chemistry book it wasn't, and how it is possible?,if it is.

5. Default

I think it's just like the Bring Gold to Another Location to profit one, technically feasible, just not in this lifetime or the next practical.

I can think of (really well controlled) nuclear fission, for starters. Or if that's too hectic for your taste (or even deemed impossible, since neither element is your everyday radiation element), there's Proton emission too.

Theoretically, particles are bound together by the Strong Force, which is suggestively very strong. As long as that force can be conquered, any particle can be separated from whatever.

6. Default

Infinite money is just a matter of persuasion/time/effort, theoretically.

7. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

It sucks when I'm too bad at chemistry to get this troll science. (until you mentioned e and p mean electron and proton)

8. Default

Doing that would probably cost more money than the difference between gold and platinum prices. It would probably involve some particle acceleration to cause a great shock on the nucleus.

Though 1 electron and 1 proton is not any of the normal radiation particles so I don't know if it's possible.

9. Default

The practicality of the experiment isn't worth the selling of the product. You'd lose more energy and money trying to take off the 1 proton/electron from 1 atom than if you just outright bought platinum and sold it for a higher price. It doesn't "work" because you probably can't reproduce the experiment on the same scale every time AND it would take decades to convert enough gold into platinum to be able to be worth selling, but by then you've basically screwed yourself over with the overly ridiculous cost of operations.

Your best bet (within current technological limits) is to make a nuclear fission reaction from Uranium or something and HOPE that it loses the right amount of electrons and protons, but even then, you'd have to do it on such a massive scale to get enough atoms of platinum or gold, it isn't worth the effort.

Of course you could also invent some sort of fusion reaction, but even then we don't have the money or energy output for enough time to increase the tiny amount of platinum you would get.

Theoretically the experiment is possible; no denying that. Otherwise gold and platinum wouldn't exist in the first place.

10. Default

The bit about the electron seems irrelevant. Only the proton really matters if you want to change the element, right?

11. Won't Be Coming Back

IGN: Gives the phrase
    Server: Moving
    Job: Mountains
    Guild: A whole new
    Alliance: Meaning

You can't remove a proton because the proton is held in the nucleus by the "Strong Force", which is much stronger than the electromagnetic force that keeps the electrons bound to the atom. You can remove protons and neutrons from the nucleus; that's what "splitting the atom" means. Doing it is what makes a nuclear bomb blow up.

So basically you "could" do this but you'd probably die... and the gold wouldn't survive the blast.

12. Default

It's always wrong, or most of the times. It's mostly funny because of that, because it's such a ridiculously stupid, ilogic theory that it's funny to think on such thing. Take the example of the "coming back in time comic", where a guy wants to put two big rockets to make the earth do it's rotation in the inverse direction, so they can go back in time.

It's wrong, makes absolutely no sense, and that's where it turns out funny, because it's always based on wrong theories. :o

13. Default

First of all, the difference between a gold atom and a platinum atom is one proton, electron, AND neutron. Look at the atomic weights. The difference is about 2 amu's.

Anyways, removing electrons from a metal really isn't a huge problem, since it's a common practice in semiconductor doping, so I'll just focus on removing protons.

Removing a proton from a metal is a huge problem. As of now, the only way to "remove" a proton (or H+ atom) from a metal atom is to bombard the metal atom with other particles (such as other protons or other atoms) or wait for the element to decay on its own (which takes too long to be feasible). Bombarding a gold atom with other particles doesn't guarantee that exactly one proton will be removed. Maybe two protons will be removed, or maybe the incoming protons will join with the gold atom to produce worthless (and probably radioactive) mercury.

Suppose that you discover a process that follows the troll science and is 50% efficient. (Nothing is ever 100% efficient.) The problem now is that by removing only a single proton and electron, you have produced an unstable isotope of platinum, and the platinum will probably be radioactive and decay. You'll also have to take care of the 50% of impurities (composed of radioactive waste) by either burying it or by developing another process that causes the radioactive waste to turn into non-radioactive waste. Both of these options are expensive and pose health risks.

Also, what government would let you build your own nuclear reactor?

Theoretically, the troll science is possible. It's just not worth it, and there are other ways to produce platinum that doesn't involve gold, which is an expensive material to begin with. It's interesting to note that some heavenly bodies naturally produce platinum, but we won't be able to harvest them anyways:

First Detection of Platinum, Osmium, and Lead in a Metal-Poor Halo Star: HD 126238
    Gold and platinum in shales with evidence against extraterrestrial sources of metals

Are you older than my grandfather or what? Nuclear reactors and bombs have been around for quite a long time...

14. Can of Soup Straight Male
    venezuela

Hell no, I went to the university after this and asked about this and my ex basic chemistry teacher said that this wasn't possible (he is 7X years old lol), but another one said that it was possible but they always say that because they don't want to explain it (poor education in a third world country).

God seriously, I just hate my country.

15. Default

Why are these ugly children-scribbles so popular on the internet?

16. Won't Be Coming Back

IGN: Gives the phrase
    Server: Moving
    Job: Mountains
    Guild: A whole new
    Alliance: Meaning

Because the internet is filled with ugly children...

17. Default

Because we aren't all as serious as harrison.

OT: Isn't it actually in limbo as far as sheer possibility goes from a theoretical standpoint? I.E. it currently is impossible due to the restrictions of technology, but it may later prove to be completely impossible or possible with varying degrees of feasability?

In short this troll science is not true/theoretically possible but not feasible. for now. If it even were to prove possible, by the time we reached such a technologically to do precise fission (this would be basically equivalent to fabrication on a sub-atomic level) precious metals will probably no longer be backing currency.

ALCHEMY, ITS REAL SCIENCE. WELL, IN THE FUTURE. POSSIBLY. BUT MAYBE NOT WITH SOME ELEMENTS.

Its not as concise as some other troll science.

18. Default

It's possible, just that it will all cost you much more than if you actually bought the platinum.

@Lyrics: I lol'ed. You don't travel to the future by freezing yourself; it's just that your perception is "frozen" along with you when you are placed in cryogenic sleep, so it will feel as though you traveled to the future by freezing yourself. A simple way to figure this out is to...surprise, surprise - go to sleep. It produces the same effect.

And yes, I like taking things seriously. So there.

19. Default

Not to mention the fact that supply and demand would quickly go into effect; the surplus of gold would soon be worthless while the now extremely rare platinum would be "worth its weight in gold", hurr hurr. Though, sounds like a pretty good scam for someone to pull; convince everyone its a great idea, buy a ton of platinum, then resell it for 100x the price after it is a depleted resource.