IGN: StacknStick
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Phantom
    Guild: Exist
    Alliance: DreamHome
    Farm: ButcherDen
    russia

You still age while you sleep, while frozen you don't. FUTURAMA DUH!

2. Won't Be Coming Back
    (Banned from this thread)

IGN: Skyshooter1
    Server: Alexina
    Level: 981
    Job: Green boy
    Guild: Blasphamy
    canada

You know what I dont get?

Why not somehow use hydrogen and somehow use fission to bind both gold and hydrogen together to create platinum? Sure you might have to have a huge whackload of hydrogen and superheated gold and enough electro-magnitism to fuse both elements, but it may be possible.

I mean, when you look at the sun, it absorbs hydrogen, and conducts nuclear fission to create helium and even iron from the hydrogen it absorbs.

Why is this any different?

Hydrogen also has only 1 proton and 1 electron, the difference isnt too significant, but if you somehow conduct fission with both gold and hydrogen you could perhaps make platinum.

3. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

You know how effing hot the sun is?

4. Default

The reaction would be highly exothermic, with an obscene energy barrier.

i.e. It would take too much energy to actually start off the reaction, and the reaction will produce extreme amounts of heat that will literally melt the Earth.

The only reason why stars can actually start burning is the extremely high pressure as well as the high temperature within the star when it is "born".

5. Default

We haven't found a way to fuse atoms together yet without it requiring TONS of energy. It REALLY isn't as simple as 1+1 = 2. The Sun is able to do this because of the sheer amount of pressure in the core and gravity (28 times the Earth's gravity?) as well as an ungodly impossible to achieve (at least on earth) amount of heat ( at least a million KELVIN). These conditions force the atoms together to fuse and that's how we get sunlight and UV radiations. These conditions cannot be replicated on Earth (yet?) and if we could do so, it would take a crap ton of energy to sustain it all. If you found a way to do this without consuming the energy grid of the entire planet, you would be a multi billionaire.

Also Iron is about as close as you get using our sun's fusion capabilities. In order to go to a scale of gold fusion, you would need the conditions of an exploding super nova, which are far more extreme than a normal sun.

Source: Astronomy class in college C:

6. Default

Ridiculous reactions usually require ridiculous conditions. The main problem with a fusion reactor is containing a mini sun at 3000ºC+ inside something.

7. Default

Simple answer: we lack the technology and it might just lead to uncontrolled fusion or even fission. or in a little less laymans term possible ceilingless critical fission reactor. we'd better be doing that pomegranate in space.

Complex answer: see above.

8. Default

Heat is measured in Joules. Kelvin is a measure of temperature.

Lol.

LOL.

LOLOLOLOLOL!
    Last edited by 2147483647; 2011-07-04 at 10:45 PM.

9. Default

Why do you even bother? From what I've seen so far, R_O rarely ever makes sense.

10. Won't Be Coming Back

canada

I acutaly meant fusion, sorry.

But anyway, as it is said, the sun absorbs hydrogen into it's core and conducts fusion to form helium atoms, but during it's lifetime a star can produce iron atoms but nothing higher than that. If a star were to go super nova however, it would produce heavier atomic elements.

This proves you can conduct fusion to create elements. If you were to control a fusion of hydrogen and gold, you could perhaps make Platinum.

11. Default

I really don't understand where you get your information. I hope you don't make them up for the sake of having something to post.

Synthesis of the Elements in Stars (large pdf file!)
    B2FH paper (Wikipedia) (summary of above paper)
    Stellar nucleosynthesis (Wikipedia)
    S-process (Wikipedia)

A single example by itself is only the first step to proof by induction.

If you have really proven that the process exists, there's no need to doubt!

Keep ing. This nonsense is highly entertaining.

12. Won't Be Coming Back

canada

Dude they teach you this shiet in grade 6 ffs, unless you wanna flamebait all day, just stfu and actualy contribute to something.

13. Default

My fifth grade history curriculum also included the "fact" that most people in Columbus' day thought the world is flat. I later found out that this is complete bs. If your education stopped at 6th grade, at least bother to look things up to validate your statements before you post for the sake of posting. Lol.

Keep ing, btw. :)

14. Won't Be Coming Back

canada

What you said has nothing to do with anything about this topic.

15. Default

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that R_O got banned from this thread?

Well, good riddance. Now we can have an intelligent discussion about...troll...science...okay, that seems more like oxymoron than anything...

16. Default

Infarction would have been more proper. Whatever.

Many people dream, but they forget that the process [which they know naught about] is not going to be that simple/simplistic. It's easier to dream than to make dreams come true.

Hadriel

17. Default

Let's suppose you could remove a proton from gold which is like, almost impossible, then you remove the electron easily... It will attract another electron and another proton from anywhere because it needs to be in equilibrium... And this is supposing you only remove 1 electron and 1 proton from 1 single atom of gold (good luck with that)... You would actually need to do it with Kgs of gold, which will be... impossible. /:

18. Default

You do realize we can control the contents of a given space in a vaccum down to subatomic particles right? Like that isn't the hard part here.

19. Neon Atom
    IGN: MagicsBISH/BOW
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: BISH/BM/SAIR
    Guild: Destiny and Inspired
    germany

Its possible, just to expensive!