Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Even if fire demon's range is smaller than explosion's, it still has better range since its range is much more useful. I'd take something that hits in a straight line over something I'd have to stand in a mob to use effectively anyday. Also, fire demon is a lot faster than explosion, so you can just cast fire demon to both sides in about the same time it takes to cast one explosion.

2. Default

Fire Demon casts at 83.3 cpm. So yes, it is "faster" than Explosion.

3. Default

http://www.southperry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3217
    Fire Demon takes 720 milliseconds to cast.
    Explosion takes 1500 milliseconds to cast with a fast (4) weapon.

720 x 2 = 1440ms < 1500ms

Two fire demons casts faster than one explosion. And you have even have 60 milliseconds to turn around to cast in both directions

Besides, if you want to compare casting fire demon in both directions vs explosion, it would be something like this (approximately).

Spoiler

4. Default

Can't you telecast Fire Demon too for an extra benefit? I'm not so sure you can telecast Explosion.

5. Default

^ That pic is very slightly misleading, because Explosion has larger vertical range which is not shown, but we are discussing horizontal range.

I think there's a bit of a misunderstanding here. Measuring from one edge of the hitbox to the other, Explosion has more range. Measuring from your character to the edge of the hitbox, Demon has more range.

It's sort of like sight vs hearing. In general, you can see things farther than you can hear them (fun fact - you can see the light of a candle from 20 miles away if it's pitch-black and there's nothing in the way) but you can only see in one direction at a time, while you can hear all around you.

6. Default

You can telecast Explosion. It's just slow. Very slow. Might was well stand in place and shoot Fire Demon if you want that effect.

7. Default

You can't teleport during explosion's charge-up time, which is one reason explosion is a really annoying skill.

8. Harrisonized

You can telecast Explosion before the animation finishes, but it does about 2/3rd of its animation until you can teleport. As for Fire Demon, you can teleport pretty much as soon as you cast it.

However, their use in misting is VERY different. At spiders, which pretty much has more slopes (LOL, its almost all slopes), I use Explosion much more than I would use Fire Demon. I wouldn't telecast Explosion either. Rather, I would jumpcast it.

In short:
    I would telecast Fire Demon
    I would jumpcast Explosion

I wouldn't telecast Explosion or jumpcast Fire Demon.
    Ooo, I didn't know it casted faster. So far, all I've seen are numbers, the 42ish for Explosion and 83ish for Fire Demon. xD
    May I ask how you tested that speed? So far all I've seen is frames per second and cast time with (minutes/[cast time]) as the times per minute.

Oh, by the way. Even if Fire demon is casted twice...
    Still not enough to match Explosion's range.

A new question: How did you get the pixel height? And how much is it oriented on each side of your character?
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2008-09-09 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost Please.

9. Default

LazyBui is the one credited for the casting per minute/casting speed information. The link I left in my post lead to his thread.

10. Harrisonized

Hmm... interesting. I have never seen that thread. xD
    All I've seen is JoeTang's data and the one on MSEA forums. xP
    Thanks.
    Never mind. I could only see it because nobody else could...
    Spoiler

Sighs.
    Last edited by Harrisonized; 2008-09-10 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost Please.