Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Purpose

1. Default Forum Purpose

This forum is to provide a separate place for people to engage in various forum games.

• Game content and material is subject to the same rules as the rest of the forum, using the game as a means to do/say something that would normally be against the rules under the pretense that it's just within the game will not be tolerated and will be subject to the same moderation as if it were done elsewhere.
    • Participants are expected to abide by the rules of the game they're playing within, deviation or derailing a game will result in spam infractions and may result in complete revocation of access to this forum.
    • Creating Mults for gaming purposes is discouraged. If you do it anyway be aware that anything that gets your mult banned from the gaming forum will result in your main being banned as well.
    • Do not reply to active/in progress game threads asking what's going on, Q&A regarding each game belongs in the sign up section for the game, or a rules section if one is present.
    • Requesting an image dump is not a game, regardless of the pretenses, take it to Shenanigans

Prefixes in this forum
    TagPurpose
    Sign UpRegistration thread for a game - Should included game type, synopsis, and basic outline.
    In ProgressFor use on mutli-thread games to indicate a new chapter/continuation of an active game.
    RulesDenotes the rules of a specific game
    Game OverUsed for the conclusion thread of a game, where applicable.

Thread Starters are capable of, and expected to, close their game threads as necessary when replies are no longer appropriate, such as when registration closes, game is over, etc.

The basic rules for common/popular recurring games may be stickied as needed. Feel free to write up your best Rules thread on a game to try to get it stickied.
    Last edited by Eos; 2010-10-25 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Listified

2. Default

Are you referring to those role playing games that Raq attempted? I can't really think of another example.

3. Default

Just curious about this. Would Corn's idea for a mafia game:

http://www.southperry.net/showthread...l=1#post557396

fall under some form of forum bashing?

Not sure exactly what you're asking, but this forum will most likely be used for Mafia games that have gotten popular lately. Maybe someone will try a different game, who knows.

4. Default

Heres an example:

Rate the avatar above you!

Simple really, rate the av of the poster above you. You can also post pictures you're thinking of avifying. This is a great way to get feedback on new av's, or help decide what new av to use.

oh it's a great way to make new friends too!

(I pulled this game thread off the other forum I go to)

5. Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_games

Yes.

That's not a game. That's an opinion thread and it belongs in the funhouse.

6. Default

Oh I see, On the other forum I go too, does are classified as "game threads".
    My mistake.

7. Default

"Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both."

Randomly giving your opinion on some aspect of the person directly before you really doesn't fall under that because it's too free form to be meaningful and too subjective to be measurable.

8. Default

So image-threads are allowed on this premise, and it's technically encouraging people to post moar images? F`uckyeah.

9. Default

It's not a game if there's no way to keep score, determine winners or determine participants

You're exemplifying why I considered this a pointless waste of time that no good can come from.

10. Default

Omfg I wanna be post numbr ten.

*cough tries to say something so I don't seem like a spammer*

Oh good idea thanks Eos.

*failed attempt*

Last edited by OB3LISK; 2011-05-10 at 07:57 AM.

11. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

hmmm...

so, mafia games would fit here, and i assume something like a CYOA would belong here as well?

12. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

So erm, I know in the Mafia games, people usually combine "Sign Up" and "Rules" and "In Progress" and "Game Over," and there's usually another thread for "Dead Discussion." So, erm, what would we do there?

13. Default

No prefix?

14. Default

CYOA and various other games, yes.
    It'd even be allowed to use for signup & game history of various IRC games that are lengthy, like any of the D&D or similar chat games that work best with a history to refer back to when needed.

Discussion threads are prefixless as Locked said.
    The four tags are separate for flexibility and allow swapping an ended game from In Progress into Game Over and from Sign Up to Rules when sign up is closed because the game is underway, and because not all games will need all four tags and some will be capable of using all four sequentially or near parallel.

15. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Oh, I never knew you could Swap Prefixes.

Can you also, erm, grant Thread Starters in this section the ability to change their Thread Title? In Mafia we usually have to wait for an Admin to change Night 0 to Day 1, or something.

16. Default

Mods can, still working on making the OPs able to.

You've always had that ability. You just had a 60 minute limit on it. I've expanded the time limit to 72 hours.
    For this particular forum you could also keep each day in it's own In Progress thread though.

17. Default

This is the only problem I have with forum games though. I've been in tons of forums, but the words "games" are extremely subjective depending on community and staff. I'm not saying that a person should just make a thread and just spam countless images like /w/ or anything like that, but upon request. Or how about this.. What if a user wanted to get a bunch of wallpapers or pictures related to a certain character, anime, or game? Surely, there are some walls out there that some people hasn't seen. What about ones on Japanese websites that some people cannot access because they simply don't have a deep knowledge of Japanese?

Basically, a non-tl;dr version:

18. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

those would fit in the speakeasy or general section of A&E i think Khoi.

19. Default

I would personally think Funhouse, but I think the rules probably changed a lot since I was extremely active. I haven't seen any popping up at all, and if they do, they get closed. /shrug

20. Default

Closed because of what the posters were asking for, not because of the category of thread.