Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
  1. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $350 per monitor but if I purchase only one now then I can spend more.

I'd be using it for browsing the web, Netflix/watching anime, and non-FPS games so it doesn't have to have a super low response time.
    99% Adobe RGB would be nice to have, just to have it, but it's not critical.

I was talking with a friend and his suggestion was the CROSSOVER 2795, http://www.ebay.com/itm/141740633783, with a matte display instead of the glossy one and from a seller based in the states instead of Asia.

2. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

So it's been while since I've gotten this computer: http://www.cnet.com/products/asus-es...5671-05/specs/

Since Black Friday shopping it here and around the corner, I'm looking to upgrade this computer (if possible).

For the most part, it runs extremely well still but for League of Legends I lag periodically and no more than like a minute at a time. For higher end games (like Vindictus), forget it. The lag is a lot to deal with.
    I'm also running on the lowest graphic settings.

I'm assuming I'm going to need a new video card. I don't have much experience in replacing parts on the motherboard, so I don't know if it's easy to accomplish or whatnot.

Budget: ~$600 (will go to like $700 if VERY convincing)
    I've installed 4GB DDR3 RAM in it, totaling in 8GB. Bought them at Best Buy.
    Intention: Playing the hell out of video games (with the occasional Netflix and chill).
    Living Area: Bay Area, California (Richmond, specifically).

Anything helps!

3. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

being LGA 775 is pretty aged, I personally wouldnt recommend throwing alot of money at the computer(as there are going to be bottlenecks if you spend too much on one thing), but you could still put some modest minor upgrades.

due to it being an older motherboard, you dont have access to sata 6.0 so ssd upgrades wont be as dramatic.

Realistically, the one upgrade i would recommend is using a relatively low power consuming gpu to bring life to it. In this case, a Gtx 750ti/950 would probably pair well with the aging computer, and is leagues better than the integrated intel GMA X4500. This route is by far the cheapest option as it doesnt require you to upgrade anything else as the 300w psu that Asus supplies could probably(not a guarantee but im betting on asus not giving you not a complete piece of trash psu) should be able to run a 750ti/950 without problems. Any other upgrade would force you to change platforms, which would involve a new motherboard(therefore new cpu) for pushing performance.

edit: if I did my studies right, This is what you have which means your FSB is 800MHZ.

This site indicates you can use any LGA 775 within its lmite, looking for what could possibly be an upgrade

based on the list, you cant run core2extreme or core2quad so cpu upgrades wont be very beneficial per $

4. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Ooh I didn't know this thread was a thing. I'm looking to upgrade my computer! I would like to play MMORPGs on high settings while getting 60 FPS preferably. I think I'll need to upgrade my graphics card possibly? I'm not sure. Advice would be much appreciated, since a lot of deals will be coming up soon.

What is your current budget?:
    $200-250 per item

What part are you looking for? Why do you need it?:
    I think a graphics card? More FPS!

What parts are in your current computer? Be as specific as possible. Links to Newegg/Tigerdirect are best. If you have a pre-built, include the make and model.
    Spoiler

There's some pictures of some of my computer's specs. If you need to see anything else let me know.
    This might be the one... http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...geforce-gt-630

How do you intend to use this new part or new computer? What's the heaviest load it's likely to encounter?
    I play League of Legends on the high settings without any issues, generally don't lag ever. Have to take some things off like shadows and whatnot. I would like to play games like TERA on high settings, too. Generally notice a bit of FPS lag on higher settings.

Would this be considered an upgrade? Would it suffice for my expectations? Any recommendations on others that might be better and not too expensive would be great. If it's not a graphics card issue, and it might be something else, I'd love to hear it, too.

5. Flatpanel TV
    usa

My recommendation if you dont mind b stock is Evgas b stock

Assuming you have a not so great psu, get a psu with a gpu. Get a 960 or 970 depending on budget. The reason why i recommend nvidia for mmo use is that nvidia is less dependant on cpu usage. As mmos are cpu heavy, it needds all the cpu resources it needs, else i would recommend the amd r9 290

6. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Others have recommended the 960/970 to me also. I will look at the link you provided. I don't care if they were previously used, I actually like a good deal! Thanks so much for your recommendation, it's actually exactly what I was looking for.

7. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Thanks for the help @Dudewitbow; . As for a new computer itself that's capable of handling big game files and gaming daily, what would you recommend? I was looking around and saw: http://cybertronpc.com/customkititem...=&view=details . Not sure how great this one is, but for $550, it seems pretty damn decent.

8. Flatpanel TV
    usa

its hard for me to recommend any prebuilts as they always have some sort of fault with them in the long run, be it that its usually designed to use cost cutting mechanisms (e.g propietary mobo with lack of driver support for O.S, weaker PSU, unbalanced hardware specs(e.g pairing an i7 with a 20$ gpu)

as for the computer in question, You arent going to get really far with richland as the APU(cpu + gpu) as its designed with the older amd VLIW in mind with bulldozer's cores(not a good combination)

of course I would personally say learn and build a basic PC myself(its relatively easy hardware wise, software usually ends up with more problems) but I understand that people do think its a bit daunting at first.

If building a computer is out of the question, its actually cheaper if you buy a cheaper pc with an okayish cpu and replace the PSU and add a gpu in it compared to buying a "gamer" oriented pc. Moreso if you end up buying an older refurbished unit and replacing the psu/gpu

9. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($88.75 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($56.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($51.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($66.97 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.75 @ OutletPC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit) ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($8.95 @ Amazon)
    Total: $481.37
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-22 20:54 EST-0500

That seems like a mostly decent pc to pick up. I took a bit of freedom when making this build, they may be using worse parts.

If you can save on the OS, you'll drop the PC another 100 dollars. The case can be swapped out for whatever you want, I just grabbed one for about 50 dollars with good reviews.

Lastly, it's good to note that since this PC is using an AMD A-Series processor, that the chip used for the CPU is also pulling double duty as a GPU. This may considerably alter your available system RAM.

10. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Hi hi, ,my current laptop can't play maplestory, I was wondering if this laptop I saw at WalMart can handle it:

Processor: AMD Quad-Core A6-6310 APU Processor
    Processor Speed: 2.40GHz
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
    Hard Drive: 1TB SATA hard drive
    15.6" LCD touchscreen
    AMD Radeon R4 Graphics

11. Flatpanel TV
    usa

most modern laptops except things probably in the netbook range will handle maplestory.

12. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Thanks dude. :)

13. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

So, I'm back again!

Thanks so much @Zelkova; for using that website. I had no idea something like that existed. I mentioned to my bf that I was going to upgrade my computer and he says he needs one, too. So, I thought of just building one for him and seeing how it goes. If it turns out to be great, I'm going to build the same thing for myself.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jh8yGX
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jh8yGX/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($98.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste ($4.39 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($96.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H25 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($95.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $642.96
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-02 03:31 EST-0500

I didn't want the integrated graphics. I read pros and cons on it and decided on something different. I read about bottlenecks (though I don't exactly understand it. I know it's not a good thing). I'm unsure if PCPP's compatibility check also checks for issues like that. I'm still learning more and more on it. I don't know when parts are cheapest during the year, so it's why I'm thinking about getting this done soon. Thanks for everyone's help so far! It means a lot =)

14. Flatpanel TV
    usa

to clear some notes, the FX-6300 doesn't have integrated graphics. (I think most of the AM3+ line doesnt tbh)

may I ask the types of games you are going to play. The FX-6300 is of decent value, but if you decide to play more modern 3d MMOs(specifically MMOs) or high end emulation(e..g dolphin) intel is preferred.

a bottleneck is simply when one piece of hardware is taxed out 100% that it forces other hardware to slow down and wait for instructions. In the sense of gaming, 100% cpu load with not 100% gpu load means that the CPU is holding the gpu back from doing work(Bad). when the GPU is 100% and the CPU is not 100%, the gpu is using all of its resources(good, means the gpu is getting full value for its performance). If neither is 100% load, it means the workload is really light(2d game) or the game has pomegranatety developers

else my opinions on parts: the only thing you are overpaying for in the build is the PSU. a 750w gold psu could easily power 2 graphics cards. if you want to maximize performance, cut the PSU and use the money saved to upgrade cpu(to a 8320), better gpu, or do yourself a favor and get a 40$ SSD for glorious boot times

I should note that if the computer isnt 100% mandatory as of the moment, 2016 may be a big year for computing. GPU process nodes will go from 28nm to 14/16nm(we've been stuck on 28nm since 2011) with nvidia releasing their stuff within the first half of 2016 and AMD soon following suit. AMD's CPU refresh(Zen) is slated for a late 2016 release that uses a new motherboard (as am3+ has no more upgrade paths, its old). This is only interesting to people in the computer industry because the man who was in charge of it was Jim Keller, who was in charge of K8, when AMD introduced both dual core and 64 bit programming to the world. So, just keep in mind that technology is about to go through a very large change relative to the previous few years.

15. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

I took the liberty of slightly modifying your list a little bit to get parts that were equal to or better than what you currently have.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($18.73 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Thermaltake Versa H25 ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($15.88 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $690.23
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-03 01:08 EST-0500

I opted to get you an Intel processor over the AMD one. That AMD processor is circa 2012 and while it has 6 cores, it isn't as good as this Intel model.
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...vs-AMD-FX-6300 (Check the specs down towards the bottom)

I did manage to keep many of the parts you chose. The only thing I lowered was your PSU. You were spending quite a bit on a 750 watt fully modular model. I dropped you down to a 500 watt semi-modular one for nearly half the price. There are many to choose from, you may find a better manufacturer or price, but you really don't need 750 watts with the current build. PC Part Picker even says the build is sitting at an estimated 313 watts, lol.

16. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Well, for now, it's just Vindictus, Dragon's Nest, and LoL since that's all our computers can handle. We were interested in Heroes of the Storm, but I didn't want to risk having an epic amount of lag.

We switch from game to game depending on the mood, and want to try out more. They're usually all games with combo/skill systems, though.