Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Budget: $1000

Part needed: Mainly Video Card, but addition improvement suggestions are welcome ^^

Current computer: HP Pavilion p7-1044

Why do you need it? How do you intend to use this new part or new computer? What's the heaviest load it's likely to encounter?
    I'm hoping for the pc to handle TERA (the new MMORPG) at the highest setting. Most probable demanding task combination will be TERA+Skype+Web Browsing.

My Location: Canada

Thank you

2. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Do you need an OS/Monitor/Mouse/Keyboard?

3. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

nope~

4. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/4KV9
    Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/4KV9/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.66 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($264.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.92 @ Amazon Canada)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AL/BSBS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1000.40
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-02-15 15:09 EST-0500)

5. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Alternatively to save some money and pick up an equally great PSU, use this build.

Part list permalink: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/4Lw3
    Part price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/4Lw3/by_merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ DirectCanada)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.66 @ NCIX)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card ($264.99 @ NCIX)
    Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($68.17 @ NCIX)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AL/BSBS DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $968.65
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
    (Generated 2012-02-15 19:54 EST-0500)

6. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Can anyone tell me which of these is better? Yes, I know, I'm really bad with computers.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/acer-asp...ox=&addFacet=#
    http://www.thesource.ca/estore/produ...ine&tab=2#more

7. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

I am looking for assistance with identifying the BEST parts for my money.

Things I want help with distinguishing would be like...

-Is buying AMD's bulldozer worth the money? Would it be wiser to just buy a Phenom II? How about an quad i7 gen 2?
    -Graphics cards are a plus. I know that Eos bought a really fancy one recently. (Can't find the post easily, I am at work). Would it be wiser to crossfire with some cheaper cards than 1 really good one?

What is your current budget?:

$2000ish, this is MOSTLY theoretical.

What part are you looking for? Why do you need it?:
    The whole shebang. I am looking to replace my old desktop I built in high school.

What parts are in your current computer? Be as specific as possible. Links to Newegg/Tigerdirect are best. If you have a pre-built, include the make and model.
    This will be built from scratch. I am using Amazon to purchase parts. (Good SP referral credit, yeah?).

How do you intend to use this new part or new computer? What's the heaviest load it's likely to encounter?
    Probably rendering video.

If you live anywhere other than the United States, please indicate your country.

8. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Best high-end bang for the buck March 2012:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K Boxed -> € 270,-
    CPU-Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B -> € 35,-
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 -> € 120,-
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile CML16GX3M4A1600C9 (16GB, DDR3-12800) -> € 85,- Note: You need low profile heatsink RAM for the CPU Cooler to fit.
    Harddisk: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB -> € 110,-
    PC Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550 -> € 65,-
    PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M1000 -> € 130,-
    DVD: Sony Optiarc AD-7280S Zwart -> € 20,-

Total: € 835,- ($ 1110,- according to Google).

This excludes:

- Monitor: Recommended -> Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (24 inch, IPS Panel) -> € 240 euro
    - Graphics Card: You can make this as expensive as you want. But the z68 Chipset can use the Intel Graphics 3000 IGP on the 2600K CPU for 2D and minor 3D gaming.

Also: You can switch to the new X79 high-end system from Intel, but the prices start to skyrocket along with them:

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K Boxed -> € 500,-
    Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (8D) -> € 220,-

Total: € 1165,- ($ 1550,- according to Google) => And again, no monitor and graphics card. Also, the performance is only 5% ~ 10% higher.

Also:
    - Sadly the AMD Bulldozer doesn't perform that well (Intel 2600k is faster). Not that it's a BAD CPU, but Intel is better bang for the buck.
    - Don't go cheap Crossfire. If you want to go Crossfire (or nVidia SLi) get 2 high performance cards, if not, just get 1 good one, if you're looking for more performance).

9. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Thanks @Devil ! That helps me with a bit of my issues I was having.

Ill look more into mobos for bus speed, but the one you picked looks pretty good. ^^

10. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Yeah, you can just choose the motherboard brand you want, just choose an A-Brand (like Asus, Asrock, MSI, Gigabyte, etc.) and you're ok. Just check the extra features they all offer. I myself have an Asrock btw, it's an Asus spin-off company.

Just make sure you pick the Z68 if you choose an Intel 2600K, because it can use the integrated GPU graphics core of the CPU for fast video transcoding with Media Expresso, while the P68 can't.

Also, only the z68 (and the 1,5 years older H68) boards have an on-board graphics connector if you choose to wait with the purchase of a graphics card (new nVidia and AMD high ends are coming within a few months).

11. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

I might be able to just wait on the graphics card for now. This build will be somewhat of a slow purchase I think, so either I will save up until I have all of the cash, or I will just buy bare essentials (4gb ram, 300gb hdd, cpu, mobo, case) for now.

12. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

If you keep on video editting, I would really suggest 16GB RAM (at least 8GB) and a 2TB Harddisk btw. :)

13. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Video Editing?

http://store.apple.com/ca/configure/MC813LL/A?

The 27inch monitor helps a lot.

If you value your video files, you would also get a backup solution, either a separate hard drive you manually save to, or RAID 1. AMD isn't doing so hot right now, Intel's dominating with their "core" processors. I would hold off 'til summer to make this purchase as the new CPUs are just around the corner.

RAM is cheap, buy them together so you don't have to worry about "can I find the same ones x years later"

14. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

The problem is that the Apple 27" Thunderbolt display costs 900 euro... xD

You know he has a budget right? ;)

15. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

pineappleing Apple.

16. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

The 27inch iMac is under $2000...1.6 or 1.7ish, why would he need a second 27 inch? or did you just misunderstand...

Here's an idea of what you can fit on that monitor:

17. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

@_@ For that price, id rather buy a 42in LED Tv << those are like...half the price dude.

Also, guy who took that picture is FAR too much of an apple fanboy.

18. www.thatwasmykil.com
    IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

It would have pomegranatety res though. :)

19. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

You do understand it's one right? HD TVs don't have high enough res, like Josh said.

As for fanboy...you haven't been to any arts school have you?

20. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

I understand the resolution issue, dw.

As for the fanboy.....dude...its one thing to have your desktop, and maybe your laptops, BUT CMON HE PUT THE IPOD/PHONE IN THE PICTURE!