1. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

by what it sounds like, you probably want a laptop with emphasis in storage speed(which is the real performance changer in normal consumer use, not as much the CPU and GPU). What you want is to look for a laptop that either uses a hybrid disk drive(only comes in one flavor, Seagate's Solid State Hybrid Disk Drive(SSHD)), or a M-SATA SSD + HDD (small SSD installed for caching, its what makes MBP feel "snappy" and quicker than competing windows laptops). its not that the cpu is slow when opening a large document, it is actually the storage speed.

as for the 3 things you should be looking for performance wise ill explain in short:

CPU: most cpus in the price range you are looking at wil be quad cores, they will be generally labeled as i7-XXX0QM the q meaning quad generally. the first X shows generation which indicates how new it is(4 being current). CPU choice doesn't really matter as much but takes a chunk of the cost

GPU: Marketing wise, most gpus in this price range will be Nvidia, and generally gpus in the X40-X50 family. a rule of thumb is for each generation, its about the same speed as the next generation + 90 from it(a 650 is about the same speed as a 740, a 760 is about the same speed as a 850) which will tell you how much graphics performance you are paying for.

Storage: the most underlooked component many people actually look for. if none of the laptops you look for have SSHD or SSD's, then ask the store employee if they have any laptops that have the in it that fit the bill you are looking for.

For reference, the laptop you picked out earlier does in fact use a SSHD so it fits many of the bills you are looking for its a matter of price to perf you are going to have to sift through and search for.

2. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

That's why I had my eye on it to begin with. :p

I'm not all that well-versed in this stuff, but I more-or-less know what to look out for.

Thanks a lot, you've been a great help!

3. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

What is your current budget?:
    $1,500-2,000

What part are you looking for? Why do you need it?:
    I'm looking into a desktop with a second monitor. Reasons for this is mainly for multitasking purposes; art-related, mostly. Gaming as well, obviously. Large resolutions would be lovely.

A SSD would be nice too for the operating system.

What parts are in your current computer? Be as specific as possible. Links to Newegg/Tigerdirect are best. If you have a pre-built, include the make and model.
    I've been using a Sony VAIO laptop for the past 4-5 years now. Can't recall the model off the top of my head, not at home at the moment. But the current specs that I can recall are 350 GBs of hard drive space, 4 GBs RAM and an nVidia 410m video card.

As for parts outside of the laptop itself, I've got a wireless mouse that I recently purchased, as well as a 4-slot USB hub. I've also got an external hard drive (about 320 GBs).

How do you intend to use this new part or new computer? What's the heaviest load it's likely to encounter?
    Gaming is probably going to be the biggest thing on it, as my current laptop can't even run most of my Steam games anymore (or even MMOs). In any case, if I can do something such as play games and browse/watch videos as I play, anything else is set. Another main focus is being able to work on digital art on the second monitor. Having to squeeze in two windows on one monitor, one being a large canvas, is a real hassle.

If you live anywhere other than the United States, please indicate your country.
    U.S.
    Last edited by MariettaRC; 2014-08-14 at 08:53 AM.

4. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

*ahem* So I'm still looking. I'm completely new to this, so bear with me here.

For reference, I've been looking at Logical Increments.

When it comes to having a two-monitor set-up, would I be good with 8 GBs RAM or should I aim for 16? Also, how does this affect my choice in a graphics card, if at all?

5. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

I'll try to tackle a few things from your two posts.

Your displays shouldn't really affect how much RAM you get, but it does affect how much RAM your video card needs. Assuming you're doing 2 1920x1080 monitors, you almost definitely need at least 1 GB of video RAM and should probably shoot for at least 2 GB. 8 GB of RAM should be plenty for most things, but 16 would be smarter if you're trying to futureproof or intend to run lots of random things concurrently. Other than that, you should probably try to buy a RAM kit with two sticks of RAM (4GB x 2 or 8GB x 2) in case your motherboard/CPU does not support (or optimally utilize) more than two sticks of RAM concurrently (aka dual channel).

For a video card, I'm not too up to date on what's the best deal. I recommend spending somewhere between $250-$400 depending on how demanding your gaming needs are and how long you want to go without upgrading your video card. Here's some reading material to help you choose the best one for you: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-4.html

I definitely recommend getting both an SSD and a traditional hard drive. The SSD size does not matter a ton, but it should be at least big enough for your operating system (20GB should be fine), or bigger if you want to stick a few key programs on it too. For any kind of storage needs you'll probably just wanna buy a 1-2TB drive.

For monitors, ASUS makes some good ones. I would recommend one of the 1920x1080 24" ones available. There's a bunch on NewEgg, but I would recommend picking your own based on whether you need built in speakers, a webcam, a fast response rate, etc. Last I checked they were about $200 each.

6. Flatpanel TV
    usa

are you looking for something that is prebuilt or are you going to build it. I'll ask some questions that will help in the choice of the build:

1. So the 2 monitors are within the price as well right?
    2. How it sounds like, you pretty much need the whole shabang sans peripherals
    3. Preference on size of build? Quality of case?
    4. CPU overclocking option? (theres a moderately sizable $ gap saved when no is chosen as cheaper processors along with cheaper motherboard and no reqiurement to buy aftermarket CPU cooler)
    5. Monitor choice: Less of a question and more of a statement. You should join the ranks of those who use Korean PLS/IPS panels. The color quality of the panels would probably be something you would like for digital art/Movies. They are okay for gaming(the only people who will have a problem with them are the ones who need 1ms response time on their monitors, sensitive gaming like Competitive FPS)

Other than that:

1. System ram has almost no relation to monitor requirements. Its just multi monitors may utilize more Vram, which is chosen along with gpu
    2. 8GB is generally "enough" for the average user. 16 GB if you are the kind of person who has dozens of tabs open with alot of background programs open.

7. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

I'll be building it, as I figured it'll be cheaper that way.

1. So the 2 monitors are within the price as well right?

Yes. I've decided to wait until next week to start ordering, so I've edited my budget above.

2. How it sounds like, you pretty much need the whole shabang sans peripherals

Pretty much, yes. CPU, at the very least. I can probably find monitors just fine on my own, but since it is included with the budget range, I'd probably need help there too. :I

3. Preference on size of build? Quality of case?

I was told that going with a micro-ATX board should be just fine. As for the size and quality, I'm really not picky... I've never seen how it mattered, probably due to the fact that I haven't owned a desktop since 2002.

4. CPU overclocking option? (theres a moderately sizable $ gap saved when no is chosen as cheaper processors along with cheaper motherboard and no reqiurement to buy aftermarket CPU cooler)

Eh. I'm probably never going to bother with that.

5. Monitor choice: Less of a question and more of a statement. You should join the ranks of those who use Korean PLS/IPS panels. The color quality of the panels would probably be something you would like for digital art/Movies. They are okay for gaming(the only people who will have a problem with them are the ones who need 1ms response time on their monitors, sensitive gaming like Competitive FPS)

I'm certainly not picky on monitor choice. If it's not harmful on the eyes, I'll be fine with it. From what I've seen browsing around, 20" widescreen with a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 looks like something I would probably go for. After talking about it with a friend, IPS panels seem like something I would aim for. If I wait until next week, I can certainly raise my budget to 2k to fit that in easily.

As for RAM, glad to know I won't have to worry with that. I'm probably going to go with 8 and upgrade to 16 later, but at least 2 GBs VRAM sounds like the go-to for this sort of set-up.

8. Flatpanel TV
    usa

Here's a rough Skeleton of how it looks like, just note most parts are placeholders:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($182.79 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.23 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270 2GB Dual-X Video Card ($154.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Rosewill Line-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($37.25 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Qnix QX2710 2560x1440 ($270.00) Link
    Monitor: Qnix 2 ($270.00)
    Total: $1261.21
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-14 12:09 EDT-0400

I purposely did not target the above price change (1500-2000) for the fact that a good handful of the pieces are just placeholders for filling in missing parts and upgrading parts, which I will generally give you the choice on what to decide to upgrade. Possible choices are CPU, Motherboard quality, more memory, change of case, more storage, Better GPU, change of monitor(?). Or include things I haven't included such as Peripherals, Operating System, Better Sound etc.

The monitor I used as a placeholder above is a 2 input Korean Panel monitor. Though that model accepts both DVI-D and HDMI, it does not in fact overclock well(if overclocking floats your boat). Other than that, Korean Panels are generally significantly cheaper than US panels of the same type or similar.

9. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

Ah, this helps a lot! I can definitely build up from there. Thank you! I'll probably have more questions later but for now, this is a great start.

10. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

What is your current budget?:
    ~$1000

How do you intend to use this new part or new computer? What's the heaviest load it's likely to encounter?
    Laptop for college/gaming.

So, I'm headed off to college and I need a new laptop. My current laptop is a Alienware M11x with some pretty old specs/hardware issues and I thought since I'm headed off to college and whatnot that it would be a good time to get a new laptop.

At the moment I've been looking at the Lenovo Y40, and it looks really good imo. However, some reviews of it aren't that great so I'm not too sure about getting it.

Opinions on the Lenovo Y40 or recommendations on other laptops that fit my budget/needs would be greatly appreciated

11. Flatpanel TV
    usa

options would include:

Without OS(means you obtain OS yourself):
    Eurocom M4, tweaked down to 1080p and i5-4210m i5-4210m + 2 GDDR5 GTX 860m for ~1001(lower if you get 10% discount) (the smaller laptop choice)
    Sager NP7378 (~1000) i7-4700m + 2gb 860m

With OS:
    What you have, y40 or y50 (i believe depending on school, you can get a barnes and noble discount on lenovo's mainsite) (generally all around choice)
    The ASUS N550JK-DS71T isnt that bad either. slightly above 1000$, but IPS display(better color quality, slightly less refresh rate delay)

Im too cheap and want to pay for most hardware for lowest price:
    Eurocom Electra 2 (800-900) i5-4200m + 2gb DDR3 850m(OS not included)
    Acer V3-772G-5413 relatively same specs as the Electra 2 but with gddr5 graphics memory 800$. (largest Price/perf, but Acer quality)

12. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Thanks! This helps out a lot c:

13. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

I wonder if this thread is still in use. Anyway...

How do I go about finding a new fan for my CPU? I tried buying one (after checking that it could fit in the case) and not only was it still too large, there was no way the motherboard would have allowed room for it. The CPU is placed right next to the case wall which is part of the problem...

This is the motherboard and case I use:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130679
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I use this information to find a better fan that will fit? I'm a bit lost when it comes to making sure that computer parts are actually compatible.

14. Flatpanel TV
    usa

can you do me a favor and take a ruler, and measure the distance between the CPU socket to the sidepanel, so you can find out max Cooler size(in millimeters)

once you get a value, the only requirement is to sort through coolers that support AM3+ motherboards (the line you are currently using) and pick a cooler with a height less then your measured value from before.

or

you can take a lazy route, and look at others peoples build in the case, and look at what kinds of coolers they use, and possibly get pictures of clearance.

15. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

What is your current budget?
    $1,000 - 1,500

What part are you looking for? Why do you need it?
    Whole new desktop (minus monitor and keyboard, those are new'ish, 1-2 years old).

What parts are in your current computer? Be as specific as possible. Links to Newegg/Tigerdirect are best. If you have a pre-built, include the make and model.
    It's old, really old, but Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card could possibly be used temporarily.

Gaming for the most part, would possibly like to start streaming. Computer now barely wants to run Saints Row 3 in certain situations.

If you live anywhere other than the United States, please indicate your country. USA

Essentially, I'm looking for something in the good+ range (if possible), that I could pull and plug a few things like graphics card and add additional RAM at a later time when more money allows to improve. And that's about all I feel comfortable doing a swap out with, because I'm not too knowledgeable about computer stuffs. I've googled and looked up a few websites for builds and pre-builts, but other than me "oooh and aaah'ing" at the fancy shiny cases, I might as well have been reading Chinese as to what's in them. Intel preferred I think?

16. Flatpanel TV
    usa

dont be daunted by computer building, its really easy over(IMO the only hard things are jsut precision stuff for those with unstable hands, and driver installation). Haven''t built something on paper in awhile so this sounds like something I can do. BUT before I start I want to know a few things:

1) Do you prefer large cases(more airflow) or smaller cases (more compact)
    2) Your comfort level with overclocking
    3) any plans to multi GPU(this answer affects power supply limit and possibly motherboard choices)

I may have follow up questions, but this is fine for a start

oh and 4) if you DONT have an OS and need one, are you confortable obtaining your own or getting it cheaper due to not so straightfoward means(e.g microsoftsoftware swap/g2a keys)

17. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

1. My guess would be large case, as it would be a bit easier and more roomy when cleaning/dusting it out.
    2. None what-so-ever, not too entirely sure what it does exactly, other than make stuff better lol.. Though I've heard people talk about it.
    3. Possibly in the future. Was thinking one graphics card now, save for either better or 2nd one at a later date.
    4. I do not currently have access an OS, though I could call around to the couple of computer repair places or Staples in town and get some prices. Or could I reserve W10 on this computer and somehow install it on the new one?

18. Flatpanel TV
    usa

Overclockings is changing the clock speed of components in the computer(CPU/GPU/RAM) and possibly giving it more voltage to increase its performance(as well as increases temperature). GPU overclocking is ridiculously easy, CPU is a tad bit harder, memory is similar to CPU.

here's a very generic build outline

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7JFWTW

From here, its a matter of personalization and options.

1. build has a 550w psu, if you even remotely want to possibly have a 2nd gpu, get a ~750-850w psu depending on gpu
    2. I left GPU option as a wildcard. I dont want to force any GPU options on you and is up for you to decide. playing a more neutral card
    3. CPU cooler will be dependent on how far of a CPU overclock you want, or if you just want something that is silent and let basic turbo clock(automatic but small overclock) take over
    4. Picked case out of simplicity to build in. If you have a preferential color preference, I would have ideas on what case to build in. E.g a friendly case to own would be a Phanteks Enthoo Pro
    5. Mobo and ram arent final, almost placeholders, you can stylize and pick ones from the relative price point if aesthetics is a factor for you.
    6. Highly recommend having some SSD of some sort at least. it makes using a computer more worth it.

19. Default Re: Need help picking computer parts or a new computer? Click here.

Original Post

Changes/thoughts

Finally got all the parts purchased and the computer didn't explode when I put powered it on the first time so all I need now is monitors.
    Setting my thoughts on monitors aside I would like to hear more about what's "good" right now and get some opinions/suggestions.

Thoughts:
    To be honest I'm not really picky and I could probably use 2 Dell P2314Hs like I do at work.
    The Samsung S27D590P we bought for a customer is bright and looked nicer imo than the Dell P2314H but if I'm getting a 27 inch monitor it I think it should be 2560 x 1440 instead of 1920 x 1080.
    I like the thin bezels on Dell's U2414H and U2715H but at their prices I think I could get something "better".

20. Flatpanel TV
    usa

when it comes to monitors it really depends on what you are using it for the things to note are

Price range: ultimate decider of options of course
    aesthetics: a preference choice
    purpose: IMO needs to be answered. for example, someone who enjoys watching movies and listening to music doesnt need a freesync/gsync enabled 144hz monitor(designed for gaming). so it comes a battle of how much do you prioritize gaming and color quality, which is gained by picking monitors with better color accuracy and viewing angle(OLED, IPS, PLS panels, things you typically find on mac products and basically all tablets and phones(which is why they seem so different than computer TN panels))