1. Default Figuring out WDEF

Here's the formula. I'm still trying to figure out the variables:

adjust_base_dispense

CalcDamage::PDamage

adjust_mob_damamge
    Last edited by Fiel; 2010-09-02 at 02:59 PM.

2. Default

At a guess, a5 in the first equation is the random component, so v5 is effectively "def mastery" in some sense. I haven't worked out exactly what sort of values it'll have yet.

3. Default

No, I think the random component is taken care of in the _adjust_mob_damamge (sic) function.

4. Default

I mean in player def. In the old system, you have (0.5,0.6)*def as well as the 94%~ mastery on the mob's damage itself. It's not quite structured the same though, hmm. Gotta run through this with some numbers to see what it actually does.

5. Default

Speaking of the old system, I can pull up that data as well.

6. Default

Okay, I've done some further study and found an interesting result:

On very high damage monsters, defense becomes percentage based - roughly half the square root of the defense (as a percent) is used instead of straight up 0.25*def. It basically chooses the best of the 2, in terms of reduction amount.

If you have 400 def for example, you end up with 10% or 100 reduced, whichever is bigger.

a5 is added to the percentage based def reduction - so it only affects damage taken on mobs with higher damage. It's basically another percentage - a value of 200 in a5 means +200% to the percentage based reduction (to 30% in the above example)

I don't know, maybe it is coming from Shield Mastery? If so, PDD around 4500 would be enough to reduce all damage to 1...

7. Default

So based on what you say, Stereo, lets see if I got this right..

Given:
    10,000 defense
    20,000 damage

Result:
    Square Root of 10,000 = 100, 100/2 = 50 --> 50%
    10,000 Defense x 25% = 2,500

--> damage reduction of 50% = 10,000 damage reduced vs 2,500 damage reduced = it would be reduced by 10,000 damage since it's the larger amount? You would receive 10,000 damage?

EDIT: lol, think I found a miscalc... fixed

8. Default

Yeah, it works like that.

You do lose 2% per level below the mob though, so it'll do more damage. But you really can't hit it anyway.

9. Default

PDD has a constraint of [0, 30000]
    Mob damage has a constraint of [1, 999999]

I threw this at a C compiler btw.

So, calculating defense of 30000 and 999999 damage yields the following:

oops

10. Default

Looks the same as what I got, except I used an excel spreadsheet so I can see directly what the code is doing line by line. For short code it seems to be a decent method, though I cheated a little on the if statements.

Kudos to Nexon for making defense actually useful I guess - on something with 25k damage my Paladin will only take ~16k due to wdef alone.

11. Default

I'm coding a calculator like my other ones. I should have it up and ready in a little bit.

EDIT: As a rule of thumb, if you want a mob to do 1 damage to you, you need to have 4x the mob's attack value.

12. Default

If you can figure out where a5 came from, it might have an upper bound under 30000 wdef (rather than the impossible 40000 wdef with a5=0) - say you could get a5=150, then you'd only need 6400 wdef to be invincible. For that matter, with a5=17 30000 def would be the same.

13. Default

Where are you getting that value from? 6400?

14. Default

{[1/(a5+100)*10000]*2}^2 = def

It's basically the equation backwards, with the goal being v11=0, which in turn means v5 = 100, so (PDD*.25)^.5*(1+a5/100) = 100

Since a5 is for some reason a whole number percentage, instead of a decimal fraction, it introduces a lot of extra *100 factors in the equation.

15. Default

You're making a lot of assumptions about a5.

If it means anything, the avoid and hit rate formula also has sections which look like a5. I edited them out since they don't seem to apply to regular players or only apply in very specific scenarios.

http://happychinchilla.info/damage.html

16. Default

Calculator appears to be non-functional :/

Also,

var v11 = (100 - pddSqrt) * mobAttack * 0.01;

Does this mean with 40,000 defense, nothing will hit you for more than 1 damage? Forgot about the cap.

a5 appears to be nothing more than a % increase to wdef, probably coming from skills like Shield Mastery or equips with +% wdef.

17. Default

Dusk, no. If you look further up in the formula the defense is first multiplied by 0.25. So the maximum defense is technically 7500 (30000 * 0.25). The square root of this is about 86%.

The calculator should be fixed. Refresh.

18. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Server: Windia
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

So I was looking at the wdef formula

WDEF = STR * 1.2 + (DEX + LUK) * 0.5 + INT * 0.4 + [def from equips]?

How about def from equips? that should just be added in after right?

19. Default

Correct. That formula is for base WDEF.

20. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Server: Windia
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

Figured as much. Thanks for the clarification.