1. Default Will these parts work together?

Okay, planning on getting a Crucial C300 128 GB SSD soon. There's a problem, though. I really want to run it in 6 gb SATA III (all reviews show a performance advantage when doing so) but I don't have a SATA III port (and I'm fairly sure my next compy won't - I'd explain why, but it'd take too long). So, I saw this ASUS board and thought I could add it to my system. It's PCI-E 4x.

My current setup:
    C2D E6400 @ 2.93
    3 GB DDR2-800
    8800 GTS 512
    MSI 965-Platinum

1. Can I add this ASUS board to my system?
    2. Will adding this board cause my graphics card PCI-E slot to downgrade to 8x? Will that affect its performance?
    3. Can I boot from a drive that's connected to the add-in board?

Thanks for any help.

2. Default

1. Do you have a PCI-E x4 slot? Physically, not electronically.
    2. If the answer to 1 is 'yes', even if it does, it's a 8800 GTS, so probably not. You'd need like a 5970 to even notice.
    3. Can't guarantee it, but probably, otherwise there would be next to no point in them.

Edit:
    Ignore my number 1, I just read the specifications and it can be used in a PCI-E x16 slot.

3. Default

Thanks.

Here are my mobo specs:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=pr...o=&prod_no=266

PCI-Ex162
    PCI-E GenGen1 (1x16, 1x4)
    PCI-Ex4N/A
    PCI-Ex12
    PCI2

And a pic:

4. Default

From what the specs state, it is capable of running 1 PCI-E x16 at x16, and the other at x4. The problem is, though, will the two run together without CrossFire? I've personally never used more than 1 PCI-E x16 slot at once, and all of the computers that I own only have 1. My guess is that they will probably run, but might want to make sure beforehand.

Booting will probably be fine (99%+), BIOSs allow you to boot from bootable add in cards after all (and the fact that the card would have almost no appeal if you couldn't boot off of it).

5. Default

I don't see the problem of using both slots at the same time and not having CF/SLI. I'm not attempting to run two graphics cards in tandem. I don't even think my mobo supports CF/SLI. It's never advertised on the manufacturer's website of such, and the mobo manual makes no mention of its support.

6. Default

Apparently it supports CrossFire based on the specs given on MSI's website.
    Some chipsets (from what I've heard) can't use more than 1 PCI-E x16 slot unless it is another video card.

7. Default

Oh what, server lag. D=
    Last edited by kirayamato26; 2010-09-01 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Double post

8. Default

not sure how the PIC-E 1.0a slot will affect it, but it won't run it as fast as if you had SATA3.0 on the mobo.

Edit: Noticed the 3GB RAM....

1024 x 2 + 512 x 2?

Else if you have 3 x 1024, you might want to benchmark ram, then take out one that's "single" and bench again.

9. Default

Just curious but why a Solid State Drive?

And not to discourage you but make sure you disable Defragmentation on SSD drives as well or the constant read/writes will shorten the lifespan of the data cells.

10. Default

Pcie 1.0 x16= PCIE 2.0 x8

PCIE 2.0 is double the bandwidth and if the first slot is in use its better to not get SSD because the motherboard is a complete bottleneck to the SSD

11. Default

Lol... what.
    The card runs at PCI-E x4, even on PCI-E 1.0 it's 1GB/s (8Gb/s), SATA 3 is only 6Gb/s (750MB/s). The Motherboard won't bottleneck the SSD.