Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: [Bowman] [RED] Archer Skill Builds

1. Default

It only KBs bosses if PKB itself hits the boss' KB value. By the time you're able to do that you'd have little reason to be going after a boss that weak.

2. Default

As far as I can tell, it doesn't push bosses in kMS. I can KB King Sage Cat with it, but not push it away.

Again, there's absolutely no reason to not get Power Knock-back, unless you really want to get Double Shot to Balrog PQ or something when you got Arrow Blow first.

3. Default

PKB seems to have gotten a major buff. Currently in GMS it's really weak because of a lot of modifiers placed on it:

- unaffected by critical shot
    - unaffected by mastery
    - 2/3 damage penalty for absolutely no reason

and the fact that it doesn't have a 100% super kb rate.

Are any of these still true post-BB? 280% damage and a 100% super kb seems pretty damn good, considering Bomb only does 310%+FA and IA only does 340%+FA (and reduced damage on more targets). Of course you'd stick to them as primary mob skills, but PKB can be good for setting up mobs.

4. Default

I find PKB to be fantastic for setting up mobs. It gains the bonus from Critical Shot, can activate Mortal Blow, which is useless in retrospect, and has a guaranteed super KB. I believe it still does around two thirds of your damage range, but it should be affected by Mastery, as in it shouldn't have a built in Mastery. The damage actually can make a difference in hits to kill though, so it's not insignificant like pre-Big Bang in my opinion. What I find is it significantly makes up for the range deficit of Arrow Eruption, and Blizzard's area of effect on impact; i.e. if one monster is too close, and others are too far, you can't AE them because the range is too small, and Blizzard's AoE only allows you to hit the nearest target. Using PKB, you can cluster them so you can Blizzard all of them at once, and/or move in with Arrow Eruption without taking much, if any, touch damage. The same can be applied to Arrow Bomb, and even Iron Arrow if you want to cover more ground going forward.

5. Default

Doesn't work in JMS; only rush and punch works on bosses.

I'm already fourth job so training is not an issue. Unless arrow blow works differently from bomb shot and ice shot, those third job skills will outdamage arrow blow. I am primarily thinking about Balrog PQ though it has been deserted ever since its installation.

Yeah I guess spending third-job points on second-job skills is irrelevant since second job skills are maxed by default. The choice is between mortal blow and thrust; I've lost all but ravana helm's speed boost as more and more powerful equipment came along. If it seems relatively easy to max movement speed, I'll max mortal.

As for fourth job, I'll pick Hero's Awakening over Blind; Blind is absolutely useless with the new mob acc formula unless the skill applies at the end of the formula while Hero's Awakening becomes useful in Horntail, Lyka, Pink Been and any other future bosses that has seduce. I wouldn't even bother levelling beyond the minimum required anyway as scrolling and cubing contributes more to damage than +5 DEX. On the off chance that we get enough HP to go on end-game boss runs, we'll only need to level up to the boss' level.

Would PKB be useful for fourth jobs? I agree with PKB's usefulness (after a buff a while ago that changed back the KB condition from giving the minimum KB damage to the KB rate on your bow/crossbow + the PKB rate) but if I remember correctly PKB is STR-based (like bow striking and ducking and poking).

6. Default

There's something you can test for us.

7. Default

PKB is DEX-based. People speculated that it was STR-based because it did terrible damage, but it turns out it just has a 2/3 damage penalty. As I said already, you have enough points to max all of your 2nd job skills without using any 3rd job skill points. You should probably take another look at the skill tables.

8. Default

How easy is it for the average bowman to hit 500k with regular attacks/1.2x Critical hits on any of the higher-end bosses? (e.g: ToT Bosses, Neo City, Zak, HT, Pink Bean).

People say that Snipe is useless post-BB. Assuming this is true, then you might drop it entirely to max out your other MM skills. 20 Second cooldown at level 1 isn't bad anyway.

9. Default

at the earlier levels snipe can add significant damage to a Marksmen's dps i believe. but since it's a set amount of damage really, ulti strafe just overpowers it at the later levels.

10. Default

Seems you'd need a damage range of [27871~32789] to hit 500k average, not factoring in either defense or Marksmanship, and assuming no critical bonuses. You'd have to adjust for how much defense the thing you're attacking is, and whether you have +% boss damage or not.

That's an insanely high range for the average player, though keep in mind if you've got a 20k range that already reduces the effectiveness of Snipe but a lot, since it'll be worth less than double damage.

If it helps to put it in perspective, I was running post-BB damage calcs with my friend FluffyFoxxie's stats, and we calculated that with MW 30 and the 24 Blessing he's supposed to eventually have, his max damage range would still be 20xxx. His buffed pre-BB range is 10xxx, iirc.

11. Default

Will do

I was just wondering if it had any uses. I'll most likely pick one first job attack skill and PKB.

I was wondering about this too. Even if I did double the damage on my strafe (with two extra shots=x1.5) w/ all of them crit, max damage, I'd still only do 240k per shot. Snipe will prolly be much stronger at my level/equip.

12. Default

Thank you for this, I couldn't find a good archer guide for the life of me.
    << is making a Bowmaster :]

13. Default

Made some quick changes. Bumping for impending Big Bang papayagotry that's bound to happen.

14. Default

PKB doesn't seem like its worth picking up after some changes its gone through for BB. Now it's horribly slow and it can no longer be cast in the air. >.<

15. Default

fun fact: concentration now stacks with atk pots... whether it's a bug or not i wouldn't know but someone from SW came across this and i just tried myself with lvl 1 concetrate.

can you find a way to put it in a BM build? maybe it isn't so good with early 4th jobbers but maybe around 14x-15x.

it has a 1 min cooldown at lvl 30 and that's pretty worth it for an extra 35atk(as well as the MP buff of course).

16. Default

With the Big Bang changes, doesn't this mean we can max everything in first and second job except for the secondary skill from first job? For example, I have 20 Double Shot and 1 Arrow Blow with everything maxed out. At the end there'll be 1 point left to distribute before you can advance and it seems like Arrow Blow to 2 would be the only thing left.
    Edit: Nevermind, this turned out to be true and it worked out in the end. Missing SP before the reset confused me.

17. Default

This guide has some big hate against strafe. Level 98 before even adding 1 point? It's only 36&#37; damage below double shot, and way more awesome-looking, plus its damage is more consistent due to using 4 arrows instead of 2. Even if it's weaker, it looks awesome, and is fun to play with. After spending like 50-60 levels with double shot, why would you want to spend 30 more? Most people read guides as they would a bible, and take everything at face value, so they will actually wait until 98 to add a point for fear of 'messing their build up'. You should at least mention that one might want to put a point into strafe early on because it's not much worse than double shot (better if you like regularity), and spices the class up a nice bit. Also, I never played up to a ranger, but wouldn't it be smarter to leave thrust at 1 and max strafe? Strafe still has occasional use in 4th job from what I've heard (you can't jumpshoot hurricane), and there are just so many endgame items that add speed that it's hard not to max out, even if you get only 3 speed from thrust. In any case, nobody should ever benefit from having +30 speed in skill form in these modern times.

18. Default

I'm sorry. Should my build be aimed to get 1 in every skill first then so it spices pomegranate up too? You don't spend 50 to 60 levels with Double Shot because no one should use Double Shot while training. If they want to use Double Shot, it's to DPS at a boss, and that is the exact opposite reason of why they would want level 1 Strafe.

19. Default

I'm currently playing an Xbow in Zenith and Double Shot is completely useless. Iron Arrow is the only skill you will use in 2nd job, and I expect Blizzard to be the skill you will be using 90% of the time in 3rd.

I left Mortal Blow at 11 on my BM. Mortal Blow is utterly worthless. A couple of points in Thrust doesn't hurt.

Oh, and by "Double Shot is completely useless" I don't mean "you won't be bossing in 2nd job and the mobs at ____ are great," I mean level 1 IA actually outdamages Double Shot on a single target and I'm level 46 and just maxed Iron Arrow, Xbow Mastery, and got 6 Booster and 2 Soul Arrow and I'm still looking at maxing Final Attack before Enhanced Basics so I don't realistically see Double Shot even outdamaging IA on 1 target until late 5x.