Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

About the only "alternative" suggestion I can think of is just... make it 30 days. Er.. I guess I should first ask how many days after the last post are necroposts usually?

Er... didn't he just say it's one of the most-given infractions? I'd say that classifies it as a "problem."

2. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male
    IGN: Ryninagha
    Server: Windia
    Level: 16x
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: EmoCorner
    Alliance: EmoNight

If reinforcing the rules isn't something they should have to concern themselves, what's the point of their position to begin with? But hey, let's just ban all users while we're at it as a preventive measure to get rid of flaming & trolling as well. While we're at it the site may as well not exist since there might be some problems that arise. Guess that's the end of SouthPerry guys.

Feeling a lot like the Minority Report in here.

Edit: It's a whopping number four, Alex. When you consider how many other infractions are frequently handed out I'd hardly consider it a pertinent issue. Eos proposed a fix, and some of us disagree with it. Tweaking rules is one thing, insulting the members and undermining their hard work is a completely different matter.

3. Default

Oh, I got ninja'd. I'm cool with this then, it's no biggie whether it happens or not, to me.

EDIT: I personally think some of you are confusing between fretting over a small detail and getting off your system over Eos. Sure, you're free to voice your concern, but save it for something that's worth it.

4. Default

I'm still not getting exactly what you're complaining about? Why don't you try actually stating your issue instead of just lashing out at change in general?
    Mods should not have to waste time on things that can be automated. This is true of every ounce of life. You don't waste time writing a paper when you can print it. You don't waste time walking all over town when you can use faster transportation. The less easily automated crap a mod has to deal with the more they can devote to other things and the fewer mods we need overall.

That point varies wildly. Sometimes a day or two, sometimes by over a year. I did initially state however the 21 was an arbitrary compromise between the 14 and 45 to determine if it was too soon/too long.

So far the best alternative I've heard is giving some forums a longer window than others, but that's approximately the same as just excluding those altogether so is already an available option.

5. Event Coordinator Straight Female
    IGN: TaliaNCo
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 193
    Job: Arch Mage (i/l)
    Guild: Animus
    usa

I think everyone needs to understand that the MODS of this, (and every other forum), have lives outside of SP. Trying to ease things up just a little bit will help them manage their time better. However, trying to find a happy medium isn't always easy. Finding valid arguments as to "why" this wouldn't work or shouldn't be in place, is what the focus should be. Lashing out because something might change isn't the way to get your point across.

6. Default

Or how to make it work best, really.
    Identifying what's wrong is only the beginning.

7. Default

What about making it so that the rule only applies to anyone who's had a necroposting infraction in the past 6 months? Or are there rarely repeat offenders?

8. Default

Misses the point of preventing the initial offense.
    The goal is to never have to do another necropost infraction, period.

9. Default

Geeez, comon people, If -ONE- thread is -SO- important that it deservers to be necroposted, and if it isn't stickied, just create a new one with all the major quotes from the whole old thread... That also saves people from having to read that whole old thread in the first place...

I don't really see any problem here...

10. Default

Breakout of where the Necroposting infractions occur.

SectionTotal
    A&E8.28%
    Extractions1.38%
    Main4.14%
    Maple60.69%
    MHM3.45%
    Deleted4.14%
    Social17.93%

At this time the following forums are exempt based on previous history & user communication:
    Donor Forum, Open Canvas, Shady Tree, Game Mechanics, Quests

11. Default

The definition of Necroposting currently in the R&R says "The posting in a thread in which the discussion material is more than 2 weeks old and an insignificant contribution is made to the thread."
    While the forum can easily determine whether 2 weeks (or 3, or whatever time limit is decided upon) have passed, it can't tell whether the contribution is significant. So, saying this rule can easily be automated, to save work for the moderators and infractions for users, is inaccurate.

The scenario that most worries me is one where someone posts a problem or question, and no-one has a good solution or answer, so the thread dies. A month later someone finds the solution but can't post it... They can make a "follow-up thread", but the forum's Search function is so flawed, a person looking for a solution for the same problem might easily find only the problem-statement but not the follow-up thread containing the solution.

As for constructive suggestions: Is it possible to make it so threads older than X don't get bumped when updated? It works that way on another forum I know, but that one uses a proprietary engine that is nothing like vBulletin. If we could have that here, "necroposting" ceases to be a problem. People can post in old threads if they want, it does not interfere with anyone else's browsing.

12. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

thats a lot of work just to make a thread.
    why would anyone want to recreate something to use to their own ends when they can save the time and effort to just add into the already existing thing? its like building a boat to ride in because you didn't like the beds of the first one. just make the bed work, dont go through the hassle of making a new boat.

and yeah, seems like it was already resolved, i just wanted to voice my opinion on the necro--A&E thing if i may:
    sorry, gotta say this is pretty narrow-minded. the blogs could, in theory, also do away with some aspects from the other forums as well, say for instance the speakeasy and the angry dome. to generalize the whole of the expressive arts forums to a blog is undermining the importance of the forum and overgeneralizing the blog system.

13. Default

lol, some day you guys will learn how to work with Eos. Fighting against him when he's clearly wanting your opinion probably isn't the way to go.

I recommend these boards be exempt:
    - Maple Cinema - The board does not receive much traffic. Older videos can still have current relevance.
    - Training Center - The board does not receive much traffic. Also, older posts that have no answer need to have answers. This helps to provide a resource for the boards.

Also, I do agree that Shady Tree belongs better in a blog. It allows each chapter to be commented on in isolation of other chapters and allows readers to move smoothly from one blog to the next by using the categories feature. Using the forums for this is less than ideal as the reader then has to read a chapter then parse through all the comments he may or may not want to read. About the only advantage I can think of for Shady Tree is that everything is in one localized place. So if a person wants to read a story, all of the stories are in one location and not scattered around blogs. It might be a good idea to have an admin-created "story" category, then users use their own categories to separate each chapter from there. The same could be said of Open Canvas. Admin Category of "Pictures".

14. Default

I certainly hope so. He has reasons for pretty much everything he does / says.

15. Default

Everyone does.

I personally don't understand what everyone is so uptight about. I'm sick of looking through newly bumped threads and going to the last page to find it to be some sad excuse for English asking some variation of if "A" is released yet, how do you do "B", or is "C" better than "D" instead of useful conversation. If you actually have something meaningful to add, you can make another thread. If you can't be bothered to make another thread or ask to be exempt, then what you want to say obviously isn't important enough to waste anyone's time with.

16. Default

I used to play a game called Legend of the Green Dragon, and I had a pretty good account too. Too bad I went on holiday for a little while (3 weeks) and my account got deleted for "being inactive".

Do tread with care.

17. Default

It is, but everyone is also missing how very simple it is to just report the thread to a mod asking for a bump and detailing why.

Then it remains a judgment call on the mods behalf of whether or not your contribution is really worth breathing life back into the thread.
    Entire forums don't necessarily need special exemptions for a single thread here and there, although some have been granted for good behavior.
    Special cases are special cases and the "You can't reply" notice will be updated to include instructions on what to do if you have one.

18. Default

Is there no way to make an "Are you sure" page instead of a "You can't reply" page?

19. Default

It's already been stated that people would just skip that and post anyways. The point of this is to eliminate necroposting completely, not reduce it.

20. Default

No they skip popups. Making an actual extra step I believe they'd follow, but doing that hasn't played properly with the templating system and is more of a long term fix, while this is a here and now get it started and evolve it later fix.