Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

/* COURAGE */ , goddamn. Soul Eater had never really struck me as that great. It's got some stylish animation and art- the Jack the Ripper fight at the beginning of the series was very well done. Some of the backgrounds and locations are really creative and unique- like the moon in the background that has a good deal of inspiration from Tim Burton's style. And well, art was done really well overall- can't really give examples right now, thoug- memories are a bit foggy. Still, plot was never something that great, even in the manga. Fairly generic shonen, and that's all it ever really was. It's at least bareable, but nothing too special. The fact that when the anime had to deviate from the manga totally BS'ed the plot into something rushed and stupid because /* COURAGE */ from episode 35 an on or so also makes this anime lowers my opinion of the series to. Still- tolerable, and the comedy is pretty funny- that much I'll give it. Not recommending against it.

Since I mention shonen, add in Fullmetal Alchemist's first series as a separate entry with 51 episodes. I'll vouch for that as well. Spidey's vote also counts there too.

2. Default

done.

also putted up:

Kimagure Orange Road Romance Slice of life, Comedy, Drama
    Cardcaptor Sakura Shoujo Fantasy
    Shugo Chara! Shoujo Comedy, Drama, Supernatural

i've heard good things about those.

3. Default

Oh, Cardcaptor Sakura wasn't bad. And speaking of anime, uh, on SmashBoards, there's a massive tsundere thread, like over several thousands hundreds of pages, and all these people use MyAnimeList to keep track of their anime. I should do that, because I lose track of which anime I'm supposed to watch or whatever. Any of you guys use those? >_>;

4. Default

Vouch for The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

That movie made me tear up the first time I watched it in my anime club at school.

5. Heavily armored Humvee
    IGN: TheSovereignBowi
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: The League
    Guild: Of Draven

Really guys, we missed Nanoha? Not that I love the show, but I feel like someone would have hit that. 13 episodes per season for S1 and A's, 26 episodes for StrikerS (I still haven't watched it) Hardcore Shoujo and I guess Adventure.

++: I support
    --: I oppose
    No comment: no comment

Also
    Dennou Coil. 26 episodes. Sci-fi, adventure
    ++Minami-ke. 13 episodes. Slice of Life, Comedy (Haven't seen the later seasons)
    Kiddy Grade. 24 episodes. Adventure, sci-fi
    Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~. 26 episodes. Action, drama
    Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens. 13 episodes. Comedy, romance
    Darker Than Black. 38 episodes. Sci-fi, Action
    ++Ghost in the Shell
    ++Baccano
    Black Lagoon
    ++Paprika. Movie. Supernatural, sci-fi, adventure, psychological(?)
    ++Cowboy Bebop
    ++TTGL
    ++Bakemonogatari
    --Zero no Tsukaima. I want to take a huge, steaming pomegranate on this show. I will never forgive myself for finishing one season, let alone getting into the 3rd one. Kept holding out for the "ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY WALK INTO MORDOR" moment and was supremely let down.
    ++Kaiba
    ++Mushishi
    ++Miyazaki (Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and Kiki's Delivery Service in particular.) Gonna call all of those Adventure/Fantasy/Drama
    --Dance in the Vampire Bund (If it ends up on the list)

6. Default

Miyazaki has enough movies to go into his own category. Miyazaki -- so awesome, KEY parody'd him in Angel Beats... TWICE

Spoiler

But Key's been picking up protips from Shaft by learning to make obscure references

Spoiler

7. Default

Nodame Cantabile should have music under other genres.

Seconding:
    Escaflowne
    Bakemonogatari
    Gundam Wing
    Arakawa Under the Bridge
    Higurashi no Naku Koro ni

The later seasons are done by different studios and have slightly different art than the original. The third season has quite a few noticeable anatomy flaws. The comedy also goes downhill in my opinion.

I'm also seconding the first season of Minami-ke.

8. Default

Action/Adventure
    Spirited Away: I love this movie. Best Miyazaki work out there.

Comedy
    Gintama. I don't know how you people can even talk about comedy without mentioning Gintama.
    Lucky Star (also slice-of-life).
    Kannagi: Very funny, until the end. Still, a superb show.

Sports
    Beck: Epic stuff

Sci-fi
    Personally, I don't think this category should be here. It covers all mecha, yet Gundam is in action/adventure...
    Anyway, Dennou Coil.

Mahou Shoujo
    Tweeny Witches: Great show, even if the art sucks.

Misc.
    The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. Simply superior.

Second for...
    Mushishi
    Clannad
    Planetes
    Seto no Hanayome
    Eureka Seven (And a triple too.)
    true tears (which isn't on the list, but Dyxanije suggested it)
    Higurashi
    Sora no Woto

Againsts for...
    Blood+ : it's definitely not for everybody. Women who like action might like the series, but I certainly hated it.
    Digimon: Not worth it.
    Yu-Gi-Oh: Maybe the first season. Everything past that was absolute junk.
    B Gata H Kei: Not good enough. Funny, but fails horribly when it tries to go generic romantic comedy.
    Hidamari Sketch: Boring. I know a bunch of people who like it, but I know more who share my view.
    Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou: Generic ecchi harem show.
    Sora no Manimani: Not special.
    Sora no Otoshimono: Better than your average ecchi show, but still bad.
    sola: First half is completely boring and the second half isn't worth it.
    Ladies vs. Butlers: Bad.
    Ookami Kakushi: I have NEVER heard any good things about this show as a whole. This should be taken off asap.
    Umineko no Naku Koro ni: I've heard terrible things about the latter half of this show.

P.S.: Arakawa Under the Bridge is primarily a comedy. The romance is tiny in comparison.

P.P.S.: I don't like this recommendation stuff. The chart from /a/ works pretty well, and I don't like seeing good shows like Death Note not make lists because people think it's 'overrated' (and then see shows like Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou make it because it's 'underrated'). But what do I know, I'm just another one of those elitist bastards.

P.P.P.S.: To reinforce the elitist bastard thing, here's my list:
    10/10
    • Eureka Seven
    • Mushishi
    • Planetes
    • Gintama
    • Seto no Hanayome
    • CLANNAD ~After Story~ (because S1 sucked, duh)
    • Baccano!
    • Lucky Star
    • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    9/10s that could be 10/10 on most other peoples' lists (not all my 9/10s, of course)
    • Code Geass
    • Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei
    • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
    • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • Beck
    • True Tears
    • Detroit Metal City
    • Death Note
    • Welcome to the NHK!
    • Dennou Coil
    'Underrated' anime (meaning "why the hell don't people say anything about these shows?)
    • Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo (yes, that's SORA and not TOKI)
    • Strike Witches (I hate fanservice but I loved this show)
    • Shinigami no Ballad
    • REC
    • GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class
    • Moyashimon
    • Ushiro no Shoumen Daare
    • Tweeny Witches

9. DUCKS
    IGN: Mondays
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 170
    Job: White Knight
    Guild: Affinity
    Alliance: Honour
    norway

Same here. I'd really recommend the manga though, which is really good. Some periods are surreal, which makes the horror/mystique even better.

Shouldn't you have seen the series to actually comment on it? I dunno.

Anyone's thoughts about Koukaku no Regios (Chrome Shelled Regios)? I think it's, uh, above avg, but not above enough.

10. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

After reading, seconding Bakemonogatari and Planetes. I really want to watch the latter after watching the 1st episode.

Also, Chobits isn't on the list ;_;

EDIT: I realize most of you don't even know the series but... Captain Tsubasa anyone?

11. Heavily armored Humvee
    IGN: TheSovereignBowi
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: The League
    Guild: Of Draven

You don't get a little tired of the "I don't know what else to watch" threads that pop up every few weeks with the same answers? The list is still being populated. And since you mention it, I'm also surprised Death Note isn't there. I don't think it's a matter of "ugh, totally overrated" I think we just missed it. I'd like to think in the future, people could just come to this thread and ask "I've exhausted what I thought looked interesting on the list, what else is there or what on the list should I reconsider and try given x, x, and x." (Yeah, it was probably too soon for me to say I was surprised Nanoha wasn't mentioned. I just saw the Shoujo section and and thought "huh?")

And as for sci-fi, I think it's a good secondary label to denote stuff like mecha, or that the setting is futuristic, out in space, or whatever else like that. As a primary label though, I think it should be applied to shows that really spotlight technology and its implications and consequences. Stuff like Denno Coil, Ghost in the Shell, Serial Experiments Lain, even Eden of the East and Summer Wars to an extent. There aren't a ton of shows that fit that bill, but it's my absolute favorite genre/subject matter, so I'd like to see if any more good shows I haven't seen pop up by my definition. I won't ask things to be rearranged, but there's my two cents on sci-fi.

Some more stuff
    Death Note. 37 episodes. Psychological, drama (You know I still haven't finished this show?)
    ++Summer Wars. Movie. Sci-fi, comedy
    Mnemosyne. 6 episodes. Supernatural, horror, action
    Michiko to Hatchin. 22 episodes. Drama (Could probably use another tag or two. No good generic desciptor comes to mind)
    My-Hime. 26 episodes. Shoujo, action
    My-Otome. 26 episodes. Shoujo, action
    Shigofumi. 12 episodes. Drama, supernatural
    ++Tekkonkinkreet. Movie. Adventure, drama
    ++Mind Game. Movie. Adventure, comedy, psychological
    FLCL. 6 episodes. Drama, comedy, sci fi

12. Helium Atom
    IGN: HearMehROAR
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: SuperROAR
    Alliance: Romance

This is one of the few problems expected. Exactly how far do you have to watch something to vote against it? Not many people go on watching something they think is bad. For example, I've actually watched 11/12 eps of Strike Witches, 27/29 eps of .Hack//sign and 8/12 of Ookami Kakushi. I thought they were all terrible and would feel comfortable voting against them. However, I've only seen 3 eps of Gintama and 2 of Hidamari Sketch before I dropped em. See what I'm getting at?

Another thing bugging me is seperating seasons because some were inferior. "Season X and Y sucked ass, but season Z was DA BOMB". It's one thing when they're completely different storylines (ie Mai-Hime/Otome, Ef A Tale Of Memories/Melodies); It's another to ignore bad seasons that add to the storyline, however poorly (ie Zero no Tsukaima, Shakugan no Shana). Same goes for ignoring fillers (Naruto, Pokemon).

And finally the biggest and most apparent problem: differences of opinion. How good is good? How bad is bad? Some anime I've seen I thought weren't good enough to be on the list, and yet someone suggests it a few posts later. Others are anime that are pretty popular, but don't meet my personal preferences so voting against them is a bit unfair. Some that are on the list that I've seen and enjoyed, but are flawed somehow (poor quality, unimpressive endings, fillers, etc), dropping them in the mediocre bin. I was under the impression this list was to help others pick anime that could be described as awesome. Ookami Kakushi is still up there despite being (agreed upon as) terrible and there are some award winners up there with 2 votes or less. The only salvation for this thread is people taking a chance and watching. And the way this thread is going, it really will be taking a chance. /rant

P.S: Props to butterfλi for shouldering this burden. Despite all my bitchin' this thread has already helped me pick out a few gems.

13. Default

It's just a list of what SP users are recommending. It's not something special where shows need to meet requirement to "make the list". Death note isn't on there because no one mentioned it (until now).

Adding:

Action/Adventure
    Title Genre Other Genres Episodes Recommended by Recommendations against
    Dennou Coil Adventure Sci-fi 26 madanthony, 'Lexy 
    Kiddy Grade Adventure Sci-fi 24 madanthony 
    Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ Action Drama 26 madanthony 

Comedy
    Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens Comedy Romance 13 madanthony, 'Lexy  
    Gintama Comedy Sci-fi, Adventure, Fantasy 201 'Lexy 
    Lucky Stars Comedy Slice of life 24 'Lexy  

Drama
    Shigofumi Drama Supernatural 12 madanthony 
    FLCL Drama Comedy, Sci-fi 6 madanthony 
    Michiko to Hatchin Drama 22 madanthony 

Psychological
    Death Note Psychological Drama, Supernatural 37 madanthony, 'Lexy 

Slice of life
    Minami-ke Slice of life Comedy 13 Dyxanije, madanthony 

Sci-fi
    Darker Than Black Sci-fi Drama, Action 38 madanthony 

Shoujo
    My-Hime Shoujo Action 26 madanthony 
    My-Otome Shoujo Action 26 madanthony 
    Tweeny Witches Shoujo Fantasy 40 'Lexy 

Other/Miscellaneous
    Mnemosyne Supernatural Horror, Action 6   

Movies
    Howl's Moving Castle Fantasy Adventure Movie madanthony 
    Kiki's Delivery Service Supernatural Slife of life Movie madanthony, butterfλi 
    Mind Game Adventure Comedy, Psychological Movie madanthony 
    My Neighbor Totoro Fantasy Adventure Movie madanthony 
    Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Fantasy Adventure Movie madanthony 
    Paprika Supernatural Sci-fi, Adventure Movie madanthony 
    Ponyo Fantasy Adventure Movie madanthony 
    Princess Mononoke Historical Drama, Action, Supernatural Movie madanthony 
    Spirited Away Fantasy Adventure, Supernatural Movie madanthony, 'Lexy, butterfλi 
    Summer Wars Comedy Action, Sci-fi Movie madanthony 
    Tekkonkinkreet Adventure Drama Movie madanthony 
    The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Mystery Movie 'Lexy 

Changes:
    -Added movies to own section
    -Arakawa moved from romance to comedy

Didn't add Beck recommended by 'Lexy because I found this which is about music and not sports. Wasn't sure if it was the right one.

I also might've missed one or two somewhere...

14. Default

>Lucky Stars

15. Default

I usually don't pick up an anime before reading at least two reviews on it. Despite it's thread title, I see this more of an Anime Titles list rather than recommendation because people are always going to differ in opinion (dead obvious). I personally found The Girl Who Lept Through Time to be slow and boring yet plenty of people are saying it's good.

I'm wondering about Ookami Kakushi, myself. Keep it on to tell people to stay away from it or just remove it completely?

-List is updated.

-Also thinking about moving Higurashi from "other" to "psychological".
    Last edited by butterfλi; 2010-05-21 at 12:12 PM.

16. Default

I'd keep Ookami Kakushi on the list, just so others don't make the same mistake.

17. Default

You are clearly not elitist enough if you think Death Note is good.

Death Note--

18. Default

I don't really care if something is "overrated" or "underrated" really. If I like it, them I don't care what anyone else says about it.

I was under the impression that this show was nothing but fanservice and WWII. Was going to give it a shot, but decided not to because of that thought.

Also, that's considered underrated? I always see people talking about that. Or at least, they used to back when it was airing.

I've never been into sports anime, but I'm not into sports in general. Maybe I should just give one a try?

Agreeing with this. I don't think any of us thought "I would recommend this show, but it's totally overrated, lol!" when coming up with suggestions. The list is still being made, it's not like it's finalized. If you know something good that isn't there, then point it out. We probably just didn't have it on our minds at the time. I know some of the posts in this thread make me feel dumb for forgetting to give them a mention.

Besides, having a list more organized than the /a/ recommendation list (there are quite a few of them running around as well) is nice. Also gives you a nice idea of what the majority of SP likes and dislikes, so perhaps you can contact a specific member for more series that aren't on the list if you find you have similar tastes.

19. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

I love this anime, mainly because my country is pretty football biased. The second season was awesome.

I agree with pretty much everything you said.