Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

I really don't see why the banning system is such a hot topic. I've been here for a year and eight months or so, and I've racked up a whopping three WARNINGS. Accumulating seven, fourteen, sixteen, twenty-four infraction points sounds pretty damn ridiculous to me. How hard are you people trying to get banned? I don't know if you're shooting stupidity like heroin or what, because the rules here are looser than...-...(not going to finish that simile). Fiel's been nice enough to give us more freedoms than any other forum I've ever seen to date. He continually bends and meshes the rules to make sure we don't all end up in a pile of ban shit.

To be completely honest, if you do manage to get sixteen points, you deserve to be gone for good, or at least a year.

2. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

just a quickie.
    if these new rules affect all the forums, even the funhouse, why's the One Rule thread still stickied there?

3. Default

Because these rules aren't in effect yet, as the Procedure & Transition sections outline.

4. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

You've only been posting at least once a day for almost 2 years, which amounts to very little chances to get infractions/warnings. There's also the fact some of us take things more personally so we may end up posting what's on our mind only to get infracted because it was decided as flaming/trolling/drama what have you. I'm having an average of 5 posts a day, almost 2,300 posts. Sarah has around 6 posts a day, almost 2,600 posts. Both of us are at more risk of getting warnings/infractions because we have more chances to make what could be considered a bad post. There's also the fact many people carry over their RL personality over to Southperry, or we adapt to the forum's community/personality and develop one of our own. While this means this may or may not make a person more liable to get infracted/warned, it is also what makes forums so interesting at times. Not everyone dramatizes their posts, but depending on one's posting style I actually indeed get a hint of a tone of voice in my head whenever X person makes a post, some more outstanding than others.

5. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

I miss old days.

With Sarah, IllegallySane and the such here.

6. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male
    IGN: Ryninagha
    Server: Windia
    Level: 16x
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: EmoCorner
    Alliance: EmoNight

I don't have the time to go through and read everything that was said, but I feel if rules like the bannings are going to be introduced that greatly change in terms of how soon someone is going to be banned that past offenders that are literally now on the brink of a permnant banning should be given some leeway. At the very least give them an additional 'strike.'

7. Default

The "chance" of getting infracted depends directly on what's in the post. I carry most of my personality onto the forum, too, and I curb it to the rules. It's not that difficult. There are several people whom, at times, I'd like to tell them to go fuck themselves, but I don't, because these rules are easy to follow.

8. Default

Users that have already been banned once effectively get one extra infraction point. Those that have never been banned before effectively get two extra infraction points. Since the punishment for a permanent ban is much more severe, the limits were slightly raised to account for that. Also, the expiration for infractions was lowered by about 17 - 18%.

9. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male

Then I see no problem with it.

10. Gack ack ack ack!
    IGN: Diatonics
    Server: Broa
    Level: 202
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Influx
    Alliance: Essence
    Farm: GrowsTurds
    usa

Blaine's post is overflowing with so much truth, I almost don't know where to start agreeing with him.

As I read through all the replies in this topic to make sure I didn't miss anything, Blaine's post stood out to me the most. In the year and five months I've been here, I've had two infractions, and a warning, one of which would have never happened had I not completely forgotten to read the timestamp on a topic, thus resulting in a necropost. But all in all, Blaine makes the best point thusfar. Sometimes I honestly think people are picking at the R&R just for the sake of arguing. I have about fifty topics saved from samus.co.uk. I look back on said topics occasionally, especially ones that had intense moderation in them, and I think "Wow, we were stupidly strict." I even have one topic where a couple of moderators (not myself) locked a topic just because they didn't like the contents. Granted, said topics probably would have been locked here eventually too, but we could have been a lot more lenient.

I have no idea how many points it takes to get to a permanent ban, but I know one thing for sure, unless I'm just completely deranged and out of my mind, I don't ever plan on reaching whatever that limit is. And I'll be quite honest here, I've kept my nose out of all of these rule-bending threads for the sole purpose of not wanting to start a crapstorm unnecessarily. But, now, as I read through this topic specifically I really can't help but chime in and wonder, are the rules here really bothering people that much? Quite honestly, there are more things around here worth expending this much energy debating. There are always people who have problems with rules everywhere, but at some point, unless management is purely off their rocker (which they most certainly are not here at Southperry), people just need to quit making things bigger than they have to be and let management do their jobs.

11. Default

This is my job as managing this community. If I do not listen to the people when they speak out, then I am a leader of nothing. Who can lead without listening?

Users have brought up legitimate complaints about our current method of moderation. I don't feel that this is griping, but further improvement to the rules we already have. It is definitely worth it to work hard on these rules because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I think here at SP we've learned that full autocracy does not lead to good government and full democracy (Flugzeug) does not lead to good government or rule-making either. Rather, it's somewhere in the middle, and that is the point which I'm trying to strike here.

If you do have a complaint about the rules or the current staff, I do want to hear it. Although this leads to more griping than is traditional for other forums, it leads to better rules, more effective management by staff, and greater understanding within the community. Who can say this is bad?

12. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male

I've never had a problem with the moderation here as opposed to...other forums. I think Fiel and the rest of the moderation team have done a better job in outlining the rules than any other forum I have ever been a part of. Now, that's not to say that they're incapable of wrong or poor decision making, but Paul at least acknowledges when he is wrong. But when people are deliberatly going out of their way to cause problems, well, then there has to be a point at which they put their foot down. This was that point. The flaws with "One Rule" were evident from the beginning and many people pushed Paul's easy going demeanor on a consistent basis. These changes (most of them at least) were necessary in one way or another. It's not like Paul woke up one day and said, "Hey, I should go and change the rules of SouthPerry." The repeated rule breakers forced his hand on this one. So while the rules may be easy to obey for the vast majority of us, they clearly weren't for others.

TL:DR: Dont peach about the rules. They were adjusted accordingly.

13. Default

I don't have a problem for the general rules, because it's all common-sense stuff that everybody should be accustomed to anyways. More-so concerned about why people can't discuss about rated 16+ stuff, just because this is a MapleStory forum.

Edit ; Actually, never mind. No point in debating since I'll be outnumbered and it is rather pointless considering the main attraction of this forum is lolMS, which is mostly for kids. Disregard this post.
    Last edited by Omni; 2010-04-24 at 04:02 PM.