1. BDRyan

Default Site outage: 1/18/2010

As many of you had noticed, Southperry died approximately 5:15-5:45 AM CST or so and was completely inaccessible for most of the day.

This was due to the disk space running out on the server for an unknown reason. Whenever the disk fills up on the server, the webserver will refuse to answer all requests until the disk is sufficiently freed up (since it needs to be able to write the logfile and with the disk being full, it can't do that).

Unfortunately, this condition also locked the admins out of the remote terminal (since it needs disk space to log as well), which prevented us from clearing the disk out ourselves, and forced us to contact the host for assistance, which at that hour wasn't possible until around 8 AM CST or so, and since I had to go to work shortly thereafter, I was not available to restart anything once the issue was repaired.

I returned home from work shortly before 4 PM CST this afternoon, and found the server had been repaired and only needed to have its services restarted (web, IRC [terra.southperry.net], etc), so I promptly did just that.

So. If my count's correct...Southperry was down for about 11 hours...which I know to a lot of you is truly unacceptable and I do apologize for not being around to get this back up...but I can't simply call off going to work for this, I'd get fired if I did that.

Sorry you guys had to wait that long for me to get things going again. I'll be working on a few countermeasures in the background to ensure this doesn't happen again. Thanks for your patience and welcome back!

BDRyan
    Southperry.net Systems Admin

2. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

Thank you, Ryan.

3. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

While in the meantime i heard rumors of DDoS attacks. >_>

Was worried.

4. Default

Your life comes before your 'free' work as a message-boards administrator. Albeit, you have responsibilities as an admin, no one here on this forum would want you to 'call-off' work just to attend to a forum. If that was the case, any member here that thinks like that should go hang themselves. Point being, no biggie, BD. It happens. Glad the message boards are up and functional!

5. Default

I think everyone will understand you have a job, or at least those of us that work will.

6. Default

Ah, fair enough. I also heard rumours about the site having been hacked/DDoS attacked, but I'm glad it wasn't serious. Thanks for the update.

7. Default

No one started a rumour, Takebacker is dumb and was eavesdropping on my conversation with Isaac on maple where I had said that I was worried that that was the cause.

edit: nevermind just read Mazz said he heard it too and obviously he's not on my BL

8. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Believe an appology is in order.

9. Default

Nope, I saw your response on maple when I said it so I know your response here was at least partially prompted by what I said. Dumbface.

10. Default

That is an unacceptable amount of time that the forums were down for. I demand to have an 4 day 2x exp event.

Meh. It was fun hanging out in the IRC for most of the day. XD

11. Sassy Stranger Male
    IGN: SlayerZach
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: YES
    Job: Paladin
    Guild: Phoenix
    Farm: SlayerZach
    canada

Every time Southperry is down, I get worried. It's my home away from home. Anywho, I'm glad that the problem is resolved and I thank you, Ryan.

12. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

i wasnt hit by it, as i was at work myself and woke up at noon. but people know work > SP.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

I was worried those Vent hackers somehow hit SP. Thanks for the explanation and your help in starting up SP again BDog!

14. Default

I really need to favorite the irc channel, because I couldn't find my way back to it while the site was down.

15. Default

Hope the site stays, even after Maple *may* have died.