Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

I don't think so. There's definitely room for gaining rep points without having extraction capabilities.

2. Default

Because it's supposed to be a "competition"! Why wouldn't it matter? ;~;

3. Default

The only flawed part is that the goal is not to win, but to improve the extractions themselves. It's a competition that doesn't have a goal, other than make Fiel improve. A way to use the crowd for something useful while the ones with an advantage at extracting have a nice time competing for the high score, while it doesn't matter, and Fiel is the only winner.

Sincerely? I really don't give a damn, but I see no reason to complain about it.

In fact, posts are flawed, since there's post count. And if there wasn't, you can search them. EVERYTHING IS FLAWEEEEED.

4. Default

In economic terms, everyone has an advantage, either absolute or comparative. Everyone is good at something, if not, they are best to put their time in something that gives them comparative advantage over others. All I ever see in your posts, Greg, are nothing but sarcastic remarks or negative comments with no constructive criticism whatsoever. Just because you have freedom of speech and you have the 'right' to voice and say whatever you want, that does not exempt you from consequences and feedback from others in the community. If you are fully aware of that, then march forward and keep your head high.

Arguing over something so little is idiotic. It's a little perk that doesn't affect you in a great way of any sort since you already said you don't care. (although your reactions suggest otherwise) If they want more rep points to boast, then let them. If you're mad at the fact that you are contributing to the community just as much but with no rep points, then why does it matter as long as the people know? The mere appreciation from others should be as rewarding. The little bars beside your name is just for eye-candy and e-status. It does not 'cripple' you in any way in terms of functions on the forum. There is no such thing as fair competition, because fair is purely subjective. As long as common grounds are established and agreed upon, which absolutely isn't the case right now, except it seems like you're the only one having problem. The site mainly belongs to Fiel, let him do what he wants. If you don't like it, then don't use the service, simple as that. The contest is not even mandatory, so why fuss over it? Fiel is not even someone remotely close to unreasonable. He explicitly stated his goal is to improve the accuracy of his extraction, which is what Southperry is renowned at. I myself would like to see more accurate extractions, even though I more or less don't keep up-to-date with contents anymore. So best of luck in your endeavours, Fiel.

5. Default

Sounds more like you're just whiny over the posts I made in your hackings thread. If you really read my posts, you'd know that I do more than just throw names around when I disagree with something.

Funny how it doesn't work both ways, right? There are plenty of users who are against rep systems in general; it's an issue that has been brought up time and time again with the entirety of Southperry voting against it. Why is it wrong of me to speak negatively of it regardless of how it has been improvised upon? I wouldn't even say that I'm arguing. I'm not attempting to get rid of what Fiel implemented; I'm only pointing out the obvious flaws that seemed to be overlooked in the process of creating this system, since Eos kindly asked me to do so. If you must know why I dragged on this "argument", it's soley because I wanted to see how many times I could get Eos to respond to me. He's a fun guy to go back and forth with, but it didn't really work out the way I wanted it to in this thread.

Oh wow. All I was trying to do was get my daily rise out of Southperry, and you sure did well to satisfy me.

6. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

how about we just give each user the option to tally rep points or not? if the purpose of this is to make the extractions better, then of course those that are more available and knowing with the extraction tools and devices will have an edge, but whats not to say that computers will make a mistake? theres always that possibility. why should we do anything for a reward if firstly, we are doing it to improve a damned useful service, and second, what reason is a fluff award to help out others, including yourself? what is this, the scouts?

and on that, we're meant to make his extractions better, so maybe we could help him by, oh iuno, copying what he posts, and reposting it in a more organized manner? or to that end, taking what he posts, and asking "what does this mean, can you clarify it?" that alone makes the extraction better because it allows for people, like myself, who arent sure what xx means to be able to have it in front of them in laymans terms. or like with the balance patches, with that program that someone made up that shows the increased/decreased ranges of moves. any way that the extractions can be more easily understood and interpreted by others, as well as any way that the extractions can be made more smoothly and error free; those are what i feel fiel is aiming for with this. and he's already said these points are only for show, and the people here at SP know this. if they dont, theyre directed here where fiel himself says theyre only for decoration. like you never bought/found/obtained in some way or fashion something which only serves to exist as a decoration, and provide no real functionality in your life greg? earrings, belts, watches (when phones have a clock built-in, who needs a watch?), hats, decals, wall posters, anything.

and if youre sooooooo against it, then greg, i direct you to basil, where they have introduced a similar system of medals which serve no purpose. the medals there are for silly things like not getting suspened for xx amount of time, and they add nothing but flair to your account. they seem to have no problem with competition, whatsoever. theres no "OMG I HAS MOAR MEDALZ THEN JuU! I AM TEH AEWSHUM!" crap going on over there, its all business as usual.

if youre really so adamantly against something trivial, where your taking a stance against it is for the sake of taking a stance against its, then maybe you should stop whining. what the people all agreed upon was a reputation system which put one user above another. frankly, some users are already above others, or should i NOT point out your yellow-gold name color? or should i NOT point out that mods have more powers than regular users? or should i point out that i and others have red usernames and larger capacity inboxes and avatar sizes?

7. Default

I agree. For the reason below:

I'm all with TobiasBlack. It seems like whenever something happens, you find ways to shoot it down rather than say nothing or support it. Quite frankly it sounds like you'd like a world where idealistic absolute communism is in place. No I'm not relating communism to evil.
    last post here, lol
    In defense of the "extractor capabilities" thing, I cracked the dam .wz files with minimal help. And if you're wondering about technicalities, said "minimal help" was just asking what the basic format of images would be, that was that (and I was more or less correct on my guess anyways). And about learning programming, I was shown the language, then I explored the rest of it for myself. The whole story about cracking was basically self-help + google + wiki + time - experience (because I didn't have any).

8. Default

Why am I being made out to be the most negative guy in the world? While I made it clear in this particular thread that I didn't care either way, I'd like you to look at other posts of mine that support your view on my posts. Most of the time, there's a hell of a lot more reason to be against the issue than to be for it. You know it to be true.

I'm sorry I'm not in favor of every idea proposed. I should look at everything as "F(UCKING AWESOME UNTIL SOMETHING GOES WRONG".
    Last edited by Greg; 2010-01-19 at 08:33 PM.

9. Default

I support you Greg, people are mostly too fast in seeing the good things about something but more often than not forget about the bad parts.
    It is an important part of adding something new to look at all the possible ways it could go bad.

10. Default

I don't see what all the ruckus is about. The purpose of this system has been crystal-clear stated: to make Fiel's extractions better. To steal Wiki's pomegranatety donation call: The extractions were there when we needed them, now we have a chance to improve them, why not? Because other people can contribute more than you and possibly gaining more reputation? Please.

11. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

its not that he is pointing out the bad things about it, though he more or less is, its that he is complaining about the system and vehemently protesting it without even trying to find a way for it to be not such a "look at me im special and better than you" thing. the ability to turn on/off this rep system, which i suggested, was an example of that. instead of saying "this system is made of fail," try saying "i dont like this system, for this/these reason(s):"

stating the negatives to anything is good, alongside the positives of said anything. its when you state a negative purely for stating a negative and not for the intent of improving upon the positive that a neutral view is corrupted and collapses.

12. Default

are you fo real

I stated why I was against this system from my very first post in this thread, and continued to state and restate reasons in all other posts.

What if I see no way to improve upon this system? What if the only way I could be satisfied involved no reputation system at all? Am I justified to be an angry young man under such circumstances?

Get off my back, bro. I already admitted that I was just dragging this on for the sake of disagreeing with my bud Eos.

That's not exactly what I meant. Kajiti is basically supporting the silly "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all" garbage concept, and that I should refrain from giving negative opinions on anything and instead just ignore everything that I disagree or have a problem with. I should only post if I support or agree with whatever is being posted. Seems like only yesterday where he called ME a communist! HAH!

13. Default

Ironically, the only negative feedback that got generated from this, has been generated from Greg himself, and the answers from him. I see no elitism, no competition, nothing, anywhere. Except this thread.

Gives a bit to think, uh?

14. Default

Where is reputation displayed? Is it merely just the rectangle next to your title text, and it turns green on a post that has gained reputation?