Alliance: Foreigners
    usa

Default The thread all about good books

What you might do here:
    • Suggest a book to the community
    • Ask the community for a book you might like
    • Just give your opinion of a book, either good or bad
    • etc.

I personally suggest two books that I read recently.

The first is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
    Spoiler

I personally LOVED this book. It was interesting to see life through the eyes of someone who suffers from autism and it gave a new perspective on the world. I am not going to say much more because I do not want to spoilt the plot.

The second I would suggest would be The Professor and the Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity, and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester
    Spoiler

I suggest because it is also incredibly interesting because it also focuses on someone who sees the world differently, and it is a mixture of a feeling of sympathy and great admiration for one of the characters at the same time. It also gives a good background on the English language which is also quite interesting. Again, I don't want to say too much because I don't want to give away to plot.
    Last edited by Cancambo; 2009-11-16 at 11:33 PM.

2. Default

I have a lot of books on my reading list. Let's see..

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker
    Spoiler

Douglas Coupland fiction is great, too. A lot of them aren't written like traditional novels, though, just in case you guys go for those more. Here are three:

Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture by Douglas Coupland
    Spoiler

Microserfs by Douglas Coupland
    Spoiler

jPod by Douglas Coupland
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Jedward; 2009-11-16 at 11:53 PM.

3. Default

Yup.
    That was a good book. I haven't read anything recently, but I'm about to get some from the library.

4. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

I request the format be as Matt posted.

5. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

This weekend I got Stephen King's new book Under the Dome. So far, 7 or more people have died within a ten minute span, and I'm only 60 pages in (out of 1074) ! This is the first Stephen King book I've read (yes, I know, what a deprived child I must've been) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

EDIT:
    Summary
    Last edited by Jon; 2009-11-16 at 11:40 PM.

6. I AM NOW "Mute"
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 21
    Job: None
    Guild: No where
    Alliance: Unemployment
    ireland

The series of books by Paul Christopher ive enjoyed, though up to Aztec Heresy ive yet to read. pretty decent stories, but nothing too profound.

7. Default

Flipped was amazing when I read it, but that was a few years ago.

8. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

Out - Natsuo Kirino

Bookcover

Summary

I thought the book was excellent. Suspenseful writing, nice character development, extremely well-done dark atmospheres and some gore that even Stephen King would envy. Furthermore, how the dark side of the japanese culture is described in a way we don't see in anime, manga, pictures or travel magazines is clearly one of its best resources. However, if you can't stand blood and cold hearted people, this book is a no-no. I would recommend anyone interested in this culture or simply fond of suspense novels to read this, I'm sure you'll love it.

It's a shame Out is one the only books by Kirino translated to English (or Spanish in my case). Kirino is a respected suspense/thriller writer in Japan, and she has been awarded with the Grand Prix for Crime Fiction, one of the most important detective fiction awards in that country.

9. Self-titled badass
    IGN: Gambiarra
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 131
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: Century
    usa

That looks really interesting, if I can get my hands upon it I will read it after I read my new book I just got. It is a pretty interesting book so far, and I am really looking forward to finishing it.

The book is Flight by Sherman Alexie.
    Spoiler

So far it is really interesting because it makes you wonder really how bad a person's life can be and how much a young mind can be manipulated. Again, I won't really reveal much about what I have read because I don't want to spoil the plot.

10. Default

if you like stephen king, i recomend the first book i read from him: Tommyknockers, i loved it and its still one of my favorites. not as gory as what you describe, but it is full of mindpineapples and twists. definitely worth a read.

Summary

11. Default

Oh man. I have a good book for you all. If you like horror and suspense than you should check this out:

Werewolf of Fever Swamp

R.L. Stine really knows how to give the chills. I love this book up to this day. Pretty much all of his books are excellent reads.

12. Self-titled badass
    usa

I read a couple of Goosebump stories when I was younger and, to be honest, I didn't really enjoy them. For a children's horror book it was pretty well written though.

Does anyone know of any books that involve people with a mental disorder (i.e. my first two books involved an autistic person and a schizophrenic person). Those types of books are my favorites.

13. Default

What do you mean? I am still horrified to this day by his stories.

14. Self-titled badass
    usa

They never really scared me. That, and I have only seen them in children's sections, so it appears they consider it a children's book too.

15. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

Ooh yeah, I'll definitely have to check that out. I'm also thinking about giving his Duma Key a try.

16. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

actually, if you like that kind of books you might consider reading "the secret window" by Stephen King... The movie adaptation was good, the book, even better.

17. Self-titled badass
    usa

I've just always been hesitant to reading Stephen King. I tend to not like horror because it just doesn't interest me. I like to have a main character I can sympathize for, but at the same time I don't want to be reading a horror story.

18. Default

Offtopic: I saw this thread and at first thought it said "The thread all about good looks."
    Last edited by Russt; 2009-11-17 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Meh

19. Self-titled badass
    usa

Offtopic reply: You could go make one in the funhouse. I wouldn't mind.

20. Default

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. It's one of my favorite books. It's a murder mystery that takes place on an island. Here's the book's back cover.

Summary