1. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

Actually it's not REALLY a horror story. Yes, it has horror elements to it, it's freaking Stephen King, but an excellent book regardless.

2. Default

A book I just finished last week:

The Princetta and the Captain by Anne-Laure Bondoux
    Spoiler

I've just started reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman (I got interested in his books after seeing the movie Coraline), any comments on this book?

3. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

The Sigma Protocol - Robert Ludlum.

Summary

Like a lot of Robert Ludlum's books, this one is thrilling, fast-paced and mind-blowing. The book features various plots at the same time, making your head multi-task while reading in the same chapter what's going on in Paris, Brussels, London and New York simultaneously. Published after Ludlum's death, the book excels in every field Ludlum is used to. If you liked the Bourne trilogy (movies or books, the same), this book won't let you down.
    Last edited by Rob; 2009-11-18 at 11:47 AM.

4. Default

Stephen Colbert's "I AM AMERICA (AND SO CAN YOU!)". Man, this is one of the best reads ever. He talks about politics, sex, etc., you name it. This is a very intelligent man with a great sense of humor, I suggest this book to people that also has a sense of humor and wants to enjoy a good read.

5. Default

I'm sure you've all heard of Twilight, a series of vampire books written by Stephanie Meyer. Frankly, these books are just terrible, and there should only be two kinds of people reading them: 12-year-old girls, and people seeking to read something humorous. I say humorous because it is; the writing is so bad, it's comical. These books are seeking to destroy any glimmering hope that today's youth will emerge as a literate, intelligent generation. Being a part of that generation myself, that only depresses me.

I want people to understand how horrible these books are. Truly and honestly just plain bad. Stephanie Meyer just does not write well, and I guess her editors are third graders. Or giraffes. I don't know how these books could land on the shelves, but they have, and they are filled with a copious amount of glaring and awful mistakes.
    Last edited by Greg; 2009-11-18 at 02:33 PM.

6. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

Hey, Greg, this is funny and all, but I prefer GOOD BOOKS in this thread.

7. Default

I know man, and I'm sorry, but I haven't really read a GOOD book in a long time. Twilight just happened to be one of my first skims in a long time. I read through like half of Angels & Demons, but kept putting off finishing it, and now it's just sitting there on the same desk its been sitting on since last year. ;~;

8. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

Oh, I didn't see what Matt posted anyway, sorry.

I can assure most of the books in this thread are good reads, trust me.

9. Default

Iono man, I never finish my books, even if they seemed good from what I had read already. When I was in elementary school, we'd go to the library once a week, and I'd always get a different Goosebumps book and never read more than half of it. The only kinds of books that I barely enjoy reading are biographies/autobiographies. I read one on Slash (Guns n' Roses guitarist) two years ago and it was great. That was the last book I actually finished... baww...

10. Default

Except what Greg posted.

11. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

If you're into auto/biographies, I'd recommend the one about Andre Agassi, and every one you can find about Tricky/Red Hot Chili Peppers/The Beatles/Pink Floyd.

Awesome reads dude.

No need to get so technical :F3:

12. Default

Spoiler

Love this author! No formal uptight guy, but someone who provides humor and a non girly "diary entry". Begins with a man named A.J Jacobs who begins to follow the laws and rules of the Bible word for word. He also describes himself in the book without being that boring type of person that tells you what they did every single minute of the day, nor is he afraid to tell you his flaws. He also took on the challenge of reading the entire Britannica Encyclopedia in his other book. In closing: Amazing read.

13. Self-titled badass
    IGN: Gambiarra
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 131
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: Century
    Alliance: Foreigners
    usa

So today I finished Flight and I almost cried. I was really moved. I really think you guys should read it, and don't worry, it is a fast read. I think it took me 4~5 days to finish.

I think my favorite part was how it was written. It was written in stream-of-consciousness.
    Last edited by Cancambo; 2009-11-19 at 05:53 PM.

14. Default

stephen king books everyone should read.

The Dead Zone.
    Spoiler

Needful Things
    Spoiler

The Green Mile
    Spoiler

The Long Walk
    Spoiler

those are my favorites from all of his books i have read. of course the short stories in Skeleton Crew, Nightmares & Dreamscapes and Everything's Eventual are top quality too. i actually like his short stories more than most of his books.

15. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

I'm gonna get addicted to this thread. lol

Kafka By The Shore - Haruki Murakami

Summary

God, this book was awesome. After reading Norwegian Wood from Murakami, I wanted more. I found myself reading my own imagination. This book was like a long run-on sentence, as I finished its 730 pages in just a week. It was like a trip. The best part of this is that after finishing it, it's even better! I'm still asking myself what happened, why people got to relate to each other the way they did, how did that happen, etc.

Awesome read. I look forward to read more from this author.

16. Self-titled badass
    usa

You really like Japanese books, eh?

17. Default

The Picture of Dorian Gray-Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

God, this book was awesome. I recently finished this for a high school Western Literature class. Oscar Wilde's wit and sarcasm found in epigrams and some of Lord Henry Wotton's dialogue kept the book actually fresh and somewhat humorous at times for me. Lord Henry Wotton is definitely one of classic literature's more interesting characters. What I really liked about this was how excellent Wilde is at presenting Dorian's gradual changes in character and the impact of the painting on himself as it builds slowly towards the revelations at the ending. However, the one thing I dislike about this book is the large amount of ambling, directionless conversations that appear within the book; but the rest is pretty riveting and thrilling to me. Wilde himself said that he did not like for morals to mix with art due to the aestheticism movements going around in England during his time, so I'm not entirely sure of this, but I felt that the story moves in a direction where the reader is almost hoping for some sort of moral justice to satisfy them at the ending due to Dorian growing increasingly cruel.

About the ending

So, I'm thinking about trying that Kafka on the Shore novel someday. I'll definitely set time one day to get that book from Borders or rent it from the library and read through it at home or during a trip.

18. Self-titled badass
    usa

I WAS GOING TO READ THAT! Too bad the library didn't have it then.

I'll have to check up on it soon because i was really looking forward to reading it.

19. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

Actually, no. They're just some trend I'm following right now. Actually I read only about... 10~15 Japanese books?

20. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

Double posting because I read too many books.

The Matarese Countdown - Robert Ludlum

Cover

Summary

Yet another book by Ludlum. As I said before, his stories always get me on the verge of a nervous collapse. I get into the books a lot, and I can't stop reading until I devour the last pages.