Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Nicely written, it clears up a lot of the myths or rumors.

2. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

You know I was going to keep my mouth shut but when I logged in it forced me to come here so, enjoy.

This isn't a bad idea, but it suffers from tl;dr. If the point of the thread is to educate the ignorant it has to be in a format they will digest. Combine similar points:

Along with #4, just stating Nexam is useless.

I'd recommend dropping the points that, even if true, present irrelevant information. For example
    Who cares? Does them being in Tokyo affect anything? Aside from that asinine thread about suing Nexon, this fact bears no relevance on any discussion I can think of. And even in that thread it's not like this factoid would've made a difference.

You can also save space by refraining from moralizing:
    Aside from saying what a glitch vs a hack is, there's not much that needs to be here. Making statements about the community seems rather shortsighted when norms change with whatever exploits Nexon happened to leave in this week. I recommend refraining from referencing the TOS at all in this thread. Unless you'd like to make points 426 and 427 detailing the (also unenforced) minutia of other TOS terms.

Drop entirely. Replace with "Use Common Sense" or something similarly brief if you insist.

3. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

They're different aspects of the same point.
    For the sake of informing people about NEXON the company.
    It's an explanation of why each one is wrong.
    HA
    HA
    COMMON SENSE
    THAT'S A GOOD ONE
    No, but seriously. Do you have a real comment?

5. Electron Straight Male
    IGN: Kenpachitono
    Server: Scania
    Level: 186
    Job: Kaiser
    Guild: Tempted
    Alliance: Tempting
    usa

Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Hopefully some ill informed Maplers may stumble upon this and actually become educated. This is great EOS.

6. Brick Male
    IGN: ZeroCA
    Server: Windia
    Level: 21x
    Job: Zero
    Guild: EssentiaI
    Alliance: N/A
    Farm: ReneMule
    usa

I learned little tidbits from this :)

7. Neon Atom
    IGN: Ibeatkids
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 170
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Reborn
    Alliance: Leafre

Why not put all those links in the original post?Also, Still seems like a stupid way to run a company imo.

8. Water Gay Male
    IGN: Scenarey
    Server: Arcania
    Level: 146
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: Destiny
    Alliance: Providence
    canada

The Tokyo headquarters is just dumb, dumb, dumb. It was probably for financial reasons, but still. Simply stupid.

Nexon is neither international nor domestic, simply a failed hybrid of both. This is why GMS/SEA/EMS are falling in comparison to KMS. There is simply no way to get precise execution when the customer and the service provider are separated by thousands of miles, oceans, language barriers, and cultural differences.
    Last edited by Leaves; 2012-02-04 at 12:27 AM.

9. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

+1 for making sense.

10. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Ohh this was a fantastic read. Thanks!

11. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Very well written except the part about scrolling (sort of). The RNG that determines pass or fail is done when the scroll is made, not as you scroll.

12. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

That would be one of the singularly most stupid things ever.
    For one thing, they stack, and they can't have different RNG's in a stack. Since they clearly do not all have the same success/fail in the same stack, I call BS.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

What makes you think that?
    Scrolls stack in your inventory. That means they don't have an individual continuous existence the way equips do. Therefore, they couldn't keep a "is going to work" field even if they had one.

14. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Single scrolls have been tested before with a lot of painstaking examination. I don't know how stacks work, perhaps there is a "is going to work" field that has the whole stack set to one that goes through the RNG again when the top scroll is removed.

I could probably prove it to you, but it would take a lot of work and I've lost my own touch with that sort of thing since I stopped coding for private servers and such two years ago.

Edit: Also, if it was in fact done while you were scrolling and a way to exploit that was found, and believe me, it would, white scrolls wouldn't be so abundantly duped.

15. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

I wish this popped up for everybody while MS is loading. Seriously. It's been said before, but excellent job.

I'm also sure you've heard your share of opinions, but I really do think a thoughtful post like yours could easily benefit from some spacing between sections.

16. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

How exactly have they been "tested"? Did you forget that the database schema has been publicly released more than once? All consumables have the same fields in the database, and none of them is a magical success rate field for the very simple fact there's absolutely no reason to predetermine such a thing. It'd be one more value to permanently keep track of, when that value will literally only be used once in the items lifetime.

Your "source" on this is pineappleing with you. How a private server may have done it has no bearing on how Nexon did it.
    You are definitely right that it would take a lot of work to prove it to us, because it's absolute bull and you'd more or less have to bend reality to demonstrate it.

Another very simple way to prove this is bull; If it were true a scroll would have the exact same results when restored via rollback. Many many of us have woebegotten stories of that wonderfully scrolled item we had made, lost due to roll back, tried to recreate and nuked.

Random chance is left to random chance, not some predetermined value in the scroll itself. That is the exact sort of garbage we're trying to dispel with this.

17. Water Gay Male
    IGN: Scenarey
    Server: Arcania
    Level: 146
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: Destiny
    Alliance: Providence
    canada

Lmao my bad, it should read "GMS/SEA/EMS are failing in comparison to KMS".

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Remember the meso exploit rollback?
    Before it I scrolled a weapon, 5/7 60's passed.
    After the rollback I had to scroll it again. 4/7 of the same stack of 60's passed.

Do you realize how absurd that is, from a coding point of view? Why generate a "going to work" for each scroll, if you're only going to lose it when you stack them? And then generate the success state of the next scroll when you use/drop/sell the top one from the stack?
    So much easier to roll the success when the scroll is used.

If a way to exploit anything is found, it would be, of course. In fact, I would think that a pre-determined "will succeed" would be much easier to exploit than one that is generated on the spot by the server.

19. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

A predetermined will-succeed most definitely would be infinitely more exploitable, you could simply hook a DLL into the client to tell you which scrolls were going to succeed or not, more or less the same way hackers could pre-determine potential. There's virtually no way to exploit a server side random chance of success. That's the entire point of doing it server side. Your scroll sends the trigger and consumes itself, the server determines the outcome and reports it back. It's a classic case of #8 in the list, in how client-server should relate.

20. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

...Hopefully this will solve a lot of questions.... >_>