Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

A++ post would read again, must be shown to the playerbase

2. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

good read EOS

3. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

I thought all those things should have been common knowledge by now (except the tokyo thing)...Either good read

4. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Cool, now I can save my time from most arguments by just linking to this post.

5. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

At first I thought I had done something wrong.

I am very glad I read this. Will share.

8. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Great thread Mr.. I just wish you would highlight the last part of the post, the "It's just a game reference". I've seen it posted every where so many freaking times and it always sickens me.

And don't pretend this is common knowledge. Some of it might be obvious or known by experienced players, but it definitely isn't as wide as common knowledge when more than half of the MS comunity doesn't know most of it,

9. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Someone should post this on Basil. >_>

10. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

We already did a couple hours ago.
    Believe IIMaplers was the OP.

11. Deluxe Refrigerator
    IGN: MrTouchnGo
    Server: Bera
    Level: 199
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: Ivalice
    Alliance: Bastion
    usa

Mind giving me a link? I don't feel like trying to find it with Basil's current lag.

Edit: Nevermind, just went to your basil page and found it.

12. Mercury Male
    IGN: Knight52
    Server: Earth
    Level: 534
    Job: Thread Breaker
    Guild: I'm bored of
    Alliance: political sh'it
    thailand

Well written indeed.

Can I share in ThMS forum?

13. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Loved every word of this.

I'll be honest: this really shut myself up in things I thought I knew or didn't have the slightest idea.

But now I know, and hopefully will make better judgment on what I may say or how I view things in the future. :)

14. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

As long as you link back for credit.

15. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

As long as you link back for credit.

16. Neon Atom
    IGN: Ibeatkids
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 170
    Job: Viper
    Guild: Reborn
    Alliance: Leafre

Sorry but, Where's the source for this? If every job is done by korea, nothing/much would be added to KMS. They wouldn't get anything done with a process like that. Also if the headquarters is in japan, Why was MS created in korea first, Nexon was brought up in korea first, every Copyright at the bottom of any nexon game says Nexon korea?

Just seems all over the place if this is true.

17. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

they said it on the gm blog long time ago, i can't find the link right now, but they already stated, everything is done in korea.

18. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

I think it's safe to assume that they employ the number of staff in Korea that they require to maintain more than just KMS

19. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

Congrats, you are the exact sort of person this is for. I find it amusing people can skeptical of things that disagree with how they think things work but never think to question their own sources for how they decided things are.

http://venturebeat.com/company/nexon/
    or, and I know this is a real stretch, read their own investor relations homepage;

http://ir.nexon.co.jp/en/

As for who does the work, put the pieces together;

http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=32288
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=39014
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=41629

20. Default Re: What Every Mapler Should Know

I'll go proofread mode as well because I love this thread that much.

Some of it is suggestions for better word choice / structure but there are some typos I found too.

Post versions [old+corrections] and [new w/ corrections applied].

Key:
    (-) = Delete char, word, or term preceding it
    (, ; : .) = Insert Punctuation. Replace punctuation preceding it
    (word/sentence) = Insert word or sentence. Replace word/sentence preceding it if it's similar or not separate by a space.

GMs are Not Developers
    A GM is generally an entry-level employee who sits at a desk all day doing shifts of one of two things: patrolling in game to deal with suspicious activity,(-) and responding to tickets by searching an online knowledge base for what the approved resolution for the nearest possible match is,(-) and(then) closing the tickets with that answer. Most of their answers are copy pasted because they have no ability to do much else. A good chunk of their answers are wrong because they don't understand what your issue is and/or don't have a knowledge article to address it in the way they tried looking for it or the way you phrased it. A GM has no control over the actual game code or the hardware. See #4.

GMs are Not Developers
    A GM is generally an entry-level employee who sits at a desk all day doing shifts of one of two things: patrolling in game to deal with suspicious activity and responding to tickets by searching an online knowledge base for what the approved resolution for the nearest possible match is then closing the tickets with that answer. Most of their answers are copy pasted because they have no ability to do much else. A good chunk of their answers are wrong because they don't understand what your issue is and/or don't have a knowledge article to address it in the way they tried looking for it or the way you phrased it. A GM has no control over the actual game code or the hardware. See #4.

Hime Has No Power
    She's effectively a desk clerk in charge of the company newsletters. She writes up Notices to say what she's been told to say. She collects user feedback and passes it on to superiors who mostly don't care. She herself has no more power than your average word processor. It's not her fault she can't get things done; she's just in a really crappy job whose main purpose is to be the name to attach to the hatred when things don't go your way.

All Nexon Development occurs in Seoul, Korea
    Every little thing has to be designed in Korea and then sent over to local developers who do nothing more than apply it and see if it works. If it(something) fails, is buggy, or creates a giant disaster of(resulting in) an expoit(exploit), Korea has to be notified,(-) (and) given as much information as possible,(.) and(-) then the local teams(team) sits on their asses(,) and(-) waits for Korea to come up with an answer, receives the "answer", test(tests) it again(-), and see(sees) if it works. If it doesn't work (,then) the whole thing starts over again.

All Nexon Development occurs in Seoul, Korea
    Every little thing has to be designed in Korea and then sent over to local developers who do nothing more than apply it and see if it works. If something fails, is buggy, or creates a giant disaster resulting in an exploit, Korea has to be notified and given as much information as possible. Then the local team sits on their asses, waits for Korea to come up with an answer, receives the "answer", tests it, and sees if it works. If it doesn't work, then the whole thing starts over again.

New Content and Events Are Planned Months In Advance
    Because of #4(,) everything has to be planned out on a massive calendar of(on) what's intended to come up(-)(,) and(-) what has to be done(,) (and) in (what) order for each next step to occur. It's no coincidence that a shiny new item will come out as gach only(gach-only) until you bleed for it, (and)then be easily available in six months. They didn't decide on a whim that it was so loved everyone should have one; they planned from the beginning to get as much money for it up front before letting it go public. They're a business; that's what they do. They do not release content as surprises or on a whim, and most especially do not release fundamentally new things as compensation.

New Content and Events Are Planned Months In Advance
    Because of #4, everything has to be planned out on a massive calendar on what has to be done, what's intended to come, and in what order for each next step to occur. It's no coincidence that a shiny new item will come out as gach-only until you bleed for it, and then be easily available in six months. They didn't decide on a whim that it was so loved everyone should have one; they planned from the beginning to get as much money for it up front before letting it go public. They're a business; that's what they do. They do not release content as surprises or on a whim, and most especially do not release fundamentally new things as compensation.

Nexon America's Headquarters is in Los Angeles, California
    Don't bother calling them though,(:) they won't speak to you, particularly about your issues. Their front desk can not(cannot) help you, has no one to transfer you to, and really doesn't care. Nor will they accept complaints through the Better Business Bureau or any "Third Party" as they deem it, short of legal action.
    (massive edit)

Nexon America's Headquarters is in Los Angeles, California
    Don't bother calling them though: they won't speak to you, particularly about your issues, nor will they accept complaints through the Better Business Bureau or any "Third Party" as they deem it, short of legal action. Their front desk cannot help you, has no one to transfer you to, and really doesn't care.

Client vs Server
    The portion of the game that runs on your PC is the client. Your client connects to the game, which is the server. In a normal client/server relationship your client is a passive recipient of events from your(the) server. You send what you attempt to do, (then) the server parses it and(-)(,) reacts accordingly, then sends the results to your client to update.
    Nexon games have a serious flaw in that(where) they allow the client to dictate to the server what is happening,(-) instead of the client telling the server what it would like to have happen and the server making the judgment as to whether it's a rational request. This (is) why Nexon games are so exploitable.

Client vs Server
    The portion of the game that runs on your PC is the client. Your client connects to the game, which is the server. In a normal client/server relationship your client is a passive recipient of events from the server. You send what you attempt to do then the server parses it, reacts accordingly, then sends the results to your client to update.
    Nexon games have a serious flaw where they allow the client to dictate to the server what is happening instead of the client telling the server what it would like to have happen and the server making the judgment as to whether it's a rational request. This is why Nexon games are so exploitable.

Server Check vs Update
    A server check is when the servers are taken down for routine maintenance.(-)(for things like) Windows updates, defragging, database cleanup, server moves, (and) name changes. They generally occur once a week. During (a) server check(,) unreleased content that was added in previous updates may be activated or deactivated in the form of special events and(/or) cash shop content.
    An update is when the game receives a new version,(-)(and) the WZ files get updated. An update generally includes a server check in it,(-) but a server check does not necessarily mean an update. Content added in an update may not be available in game for weeks,(-) or even months.(:) It(it) can just sit in the game data dormant until it's activated by a later server check.
    Both server checks and updates are also known as "Maintenances"(Maintenance).

Server Check vs Update
    A server check is when the servers are taken down for routine maintenance for things like Windows updates, defragging, database cleanup, server moves, and name changes. They generally occur once a week. During a server check, unreleased content that was added in previous updates may be activated or deactivated in the form of special events and/or cash shop content.
    An update is when the game receives a new version and the WZ files get updated. An update generally includes a server check in it but a server check does not necessarily mean an update. Content added in an update may not be available in game for weeks or even months: it can just sit in the game data dormant until it's activated by a later server check.
    Both server checks and updates are also known as "Maintenance".

Junk Scrolling Isn't Real
    You can not manipulate the odds of a scroll succeeding by "using up" your fails.
    It might sound reasonable, but that's not how a computer program works.
    Every time you scroll it generates a number between 1 and 100. It doesn't look at what your past results are and say "oh, you deserve a success now". Your roll of the die is occurring at the same time as hundreds of thousands of other players so it's entirely possible that(,) out of several hundred thousand players all rolling the odds simultaneously(,) you may fail a 90% chance, repeatedly, because 90% of the other people didn't. For detailed math see Wikipedia's explanation of the Gambler's Fallacy.

Junk Scrolling Isn't Real
    You can not manipulate the odds of a scroll succeeding by "using up" your fails.
    It might sound reasonable, but that's not how a computer program works.
    Every time you scroll it generates a number between 1 and 100. It doesn't look at what your past results are and say "oh, you deserve a success now". Your roll of the die is occurring at the same time as hundreds of thousands of other players so it's entirely possible that, out of several hundred thousand players all rolling the odds simultaneously, you may fail a 90% chance, repeatedly, because 90% of the other people didn't. For detailed math see Wikipedia's explanation of the Gambler's Fallacy.

"Glitch" vs "Hack"
    A glitch is a naturally occurring error in the game. This can be due to a misconfiguration of the client or the server. A glitch can be positive or negative. An example (of a) positive glitch would be bigfoot(Bigfoot) having been poisonable originally.(:) This(this) was a mistake that meant he could be killed quite easily for large amounts of experience. A negative glitch example (An example of a negative glitch) would be when phantom forest(Phantom Forest) first came out(released) and was missing a ladder.(-)(:) Anyone(anyone) who entered the map would crash and be unable to get back in. Exploiting a positive glitch is a form of abuse. It doesn't matter that it's Nexon's fault it's doable(exploitable).(;) It's(it's) your responsibility to know better than to do it.

A hack is when someone uses a third party tool to modify the way the game works. This can be (done by) editing a WZ file to change how it behaves, using a packet editor to send commands to the server that the client itself would not normally send, injecting a dll into the client to rewrite how it behaves or any number of similar things. Regardless of why they're done, they're all against the terms of service and they're all wrong.

It could be argued that there's a third version;(:) Modding(modding). Modding is when you use a tool to edit the physical appearance of the game, not the actual gameplay. Some example usages of this (Examples of modding) would be changing the dictionary to make it clearer which items are which by name, or(-) editing the sprites on certain mobs/objects to make them stand out more from each other, or changing your character's appearance. Or (even) making meteor rain flaming sheep from the sky. The results of honest modding are only visible on your own machine, and while mostly considered "legit", is still a form of hacking and against the TOS. (Although the results of honest modding are only visible on your own machine and is mostly considered "legit", it is still a form of hacking and against the TOS.)

"Glitch" vs "Hack"
    A glitch is a naturally occurring error in the game. This can be due to a misconfiguration of the client or the server. A glitch can be positive or negative. An example of a positive glitch would be Bigfoot having been poisonable originally: this was a mistake that meant he could be killed quite easily for large amounts of experience. An example of a negative glitch would be when Phantom Forest first released and was missing a ladder: anyone who entered the map would crash and be unable to get back in. Exploiting a positive glitch is a form of abuse. It doesn't matter that it's Nexon's fault it's exploitable; it's your responsibility to know better than to do it.

A hack is when someone uses a third party tool to modify the way the game works. This can be done by editing a WZ file to change how it behaves, using a packet editor to send commands to the server that the client itself would not normally send, injecting a dll into the client to rewrite how it behaves or any number of similar things. Regardless of why they're done, they're all against the terms of service and they're all wrong.

It could be argued that there's a third version: modding. Modding is when you use a tool to edit the physical appearance of the game, not the actual gameplay. Examples of modding would be changing the dictionary to make it clearer which items are which by name, editing the sprites on certain mobs/objects to make them stand out more from each other, or changing your character's appearance. Or even making meteor rain flaming sheep from the sky. Although the results of honest modding are only visible on your own machine and is mostly considered "legit", it is still a form of hacking and against the TOS.

If it's too good to be true, you should not trust it.
    Nexon has said this repeatedly.(:) If(if) you do something they consider abuse(,) it doesn't matter who got away with it,(-)(and) it doesn't matter who else did it. If they think you should be punished for it and are certain you did it, you'll pay the price and(,) depending on how moody they are at the time(,) the severity can vary wildly. Pay attention, use your head, and be prepared to defend anything you do. "I didn't know it was wrong" is seldom a valid excuse.

If it's too good to be true, you should not trust it.
    Nexon has said this repeatedly: if you do something they consider abuse, it doesn't matter who got away with it and it doesn't matter who else did it. If they think you should be punished for it and are certain you did it, you'll pay the price and, depending on how moody they are at the time, the severity can vary wildly. Pay attention, use your head, and be prepared to defend anything you do. "I didn't know it was wrong" is seldom a valid excuse.

"It's just a game".
    While true, the point of a game is to have fun. People who go out of their way to ruin the fun of a game for other people as their own way of having fun are known as griefers. They're a miserable excuse of a player who should really find a different hobby.
    Last edited by Sephie; 2012-02-01 at 05:51 PM.