Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Introducing a new version of NXPatcher - NXPatcher Lite!

This version of the original NXPatcher does one thing and one thing only - creates pre-patchers. It does not have any advanced features such as patch hijacking, direct patch reading, pre-patcher splitting, or version checking. For more information, please see the "NXPatcher Lite" spoiler on the first page.

2. Default

Thank you Fiel. I tested the Lite version with v079to080 patch and it took something like 5 seconds to make the prepatcher.exe, amazing indeed.

I'm just wondering, which is faster in overall? Making a prepatcher with NXPatcherLite AND patching with that prepatcher or reading the patch file directly with NXPatcher?

3. Default

Reading the patch file directly is always faster, but it's also a little more complicated to do (though not much more).

4. Default

I just finished running a patching benchmark on my computer. The next iteration of NXPatcher, version 1.7, is MUCH faster than Nexon's patcher.

8 MB patch file
    NXPatcher 1.7 (using fastpatch) - 2:50
    NXPatcher 1.7 (using regular patch) - 4:53
    Nexon's patcher - 6:48

5. Default

How big is patch 0.83 and how long will the patch take to download on a 64kbs connection?

We just reached our DL limit for the month and thats what the speed has been reduced to...

6. Default

151 mb.

My DSL Router says my downstream line rate is 6143 Kbps, and it's taking over an hour to download.

EDIT: Thanks Fiel. Any idea when the v1.7 is coming out? It would be helpful for a patch like this. :(
    Last edited by Kalovale; 2010-02-22 at 06:20 AM.

7. Default

151 Mb...so I'm guessing it will take a while.

So the pre-patcher isnt working yet? I wanted to try and get a start downloading the patch since it is going to take me something like 7 hours...
    Last edited by Chameleonic; 2010-02-22 at 08:31 AM.

8. Default

I'll get it back up and running.

EDIT: Downloads are working now.

9. Default

Just thought I'd post this here about version 1.7:

Q: What's so special about version 1.7 of NXPatcher?
    A: It's focusing a lot on usability and customization for the user. BAT files are completely done away with in favor of using INI files instead.

Q: What's an INI file?
    A: An INI file is a textual document that can be edited with Notepad. It contains a list of variables that, once edited, affects how NXPatcher interacts with nearly every aspect of its environment. It also uses referential variables.

Q: What's a...
    A: A referential variable is an easy way to save time and create consistency. Have a look at this example INI file:

Code:
    [frank]
    pet = chinchilla;

[john]
    pet = {frank:pet};
    In this example, "{frank:pet}" is a referential variable because it points to whatever Frank's pet happens to be. When John's pet is read, it will return "chinchilla". If Frank's pet changes to "rabbit" and John's pet is then accessed, it will return "rabbit". John will always have the same pet as Frank.

So how is this useful? In NXPatcher, there are functions that are being performed which are extremely similar to each other - such as the "read" and "hijack" command. They both read patch files - one just happens to be inside an exe file. By using referential variables, you can change how the "read" and "hijack" commands work at the same time like in the following:

Code:
    [read]
    ifdeletefiles = 0;
    ifusefastpatch = 0;
    outputfolder = Patcher;

[hijack]
    ifdeletefiles = {read:ifdeletefiles};
    ifusefastpatch = {read:ifusefastpatch};
    outputfolder = {read:outputfolder};
    Another feature possible due to this is a dynamic referential variable. This variable is defined while the program is running. One of the easiest to understand is like in the following:

Code:
    [read]
    backupfolder: v{nxpatcher:version};
    Here, {nxpatcher:version} refers to a dynamic variable because the value is not known until the program is run. In this case, NXPatcher determines the current version of Maplestory you are attempting to patch. So if you're patching from version 82 to 83, the name of "backupfolder" would be "v82". If you were patching from version 78 to 82, the name of "backupfolder" would be "v78". This allows for a lot of flexibility.

Q: Any bug fixes or performance enhancements?
    A: Yes on both accounts. One of the bug fixes I've mentioned would be fixed in this version is the error in the "version" function because it does not work on Item.wz. This bug is fixed. For performance enhancements, users are now able to choose between the normal method of patching found in version 1.6 or the fast version of patching in 1.7. This is configurable within the INI file with the variable "ifusefastpatch" which affects the "hijack" and "read" commands.

If ifusefastpatch is set to 0, the entire file is read two times from the disk. The first time, the file is read in chunks from the hard drive to determine if the checksum matches the correct checksum found in the patch file. Then the file is again accessed from the disk as the patch file requests while rebuilding the file. So many fetch requests from the hard drive causes a massive slowdown in speed.

If ifusefastpatch is set to 1, the entire file is read into memory before any rebuilding procedure is performed. So in all, the file is only read one time from the hard drive. This also means that the checksum procedure is performed in memory (Very fast - compare 300MB/sec in memory vs. 30 - 50 MB/sec from the hard drive). Also, during the rebuilding procedure, the patch file reassembles the entire file from memory. The result is a lot more speed (it runs nearly 50% faster), but it also consumes a lot more memory. Map.wz is more than 500MB in most versions of Maplestory which is entirely read into memory. I recommend at least 2 GB of memory to turn ifusefastpatch on.

Another performance enhancement, regardless if "ifusefastpatch" is turned on or off, is buffered writing. NXPatcher keeps a 5 MB buffer managed internally. This means fewer hard drive accesses and also increases speed.

Q: But I like how version 1.6 runs! Do I have to change to the new one?
    A: Version 1.7 is entirely backward compatible with version 1.6. You can continue to use version 1.7 with batch files just as you used with version 1.6. I do recommend you upgrade to the new version for the above mentioned bug fix.

Q: When is version 1.7 coming out?
    A: When it's ready. I will be releasing 1.7 as a beta (1.7b) first, then I will release gold (1.7g) afterwards.

Q: What will be happening to NXPatcher Lite? Will you be upgrading that to 1.7, and any new features with NXPatcher Lite?
    A: No. The main purpose of the Lite version is for people to make Nexon pre-patchers, which is a very simple process anyway. The purpose of that version is to be simple, and I believe it has accomplished that goal. In short, there is nothing to upgrade because there's nothing that needs upgrading.

10. Default

The INI file documentation is complete. Although it's located on the first page, I will post it here as well:

INI File Documentation

11. Default

NXPatcher version 1.7 will be released on Saturday. I just finished coding it yesterday. I'm now doing some preliminary testing on it to make sure that all features and functionality are present and working.

12. Default

NXPatcher 1.7b is now available. You can download it here. The 1.7b source can be downloaded here

Warning: This is beta software and is not fully tested! This software is suitable for testing purposes only and should not be used in a production environment. Please report any and all bugs that you find with the software in this topic.

Known bugs:
    -- When "ifautoapply" is turned on for [read] or [hijack], the "outputfolder" folder is not fully removed
    -- Sometimes with the autoapply feature the files are not moved from the outputfolder to the current maplestory directory
    -- Some instances when files are output to the hard drive (such as in the [write] command), if the file is supposed to be written to a folder that isn't yet created NXPatcher will crash

13. Default

NXPatcher 1.7g is now available. This is a gold release meaning it's suitable for a production environment. All previous bugs in the prior post were fixed.

You can download the Windows 32-bit precompiled binaries here
    You can download the source code here

14. Default

Thank you very much. Now I can play immediately when I back home from work.

15. Default

Fiel, do you think you can make it such that the patch files don't check the pre-patch checksum? Thanks in advance.

16. Default

I could, but I don't want to. The checksum procedure takes all of two to three seconds at max to perform and it 100% ensures that you are patching with correctly downloaded data. I wouldn't want anyone to have messed up data because the checksum was not checked. It's a necessary part of the program I'm not willing to let anyone bypass. If you want to fork NXPatcher for any other use you may have for it, the source is available and I encourage you to alter it.

17. Won't Be Coming Back

IGN: shakar96
    Server: Culverin
    Level: 105
    Job: Thunder Breaker
    usa

Wow you are amazing Fiel. Thanks!

18. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Is GMS's patch site forbidden to view, or down?

19. Default

Forbidden to view. You have to use direct links.

20. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Darn, cause I was hoping to make loads of patchers for the Basil community, yes, I am a wannabe, that dude who created patchers but suddenly dissappeared.
    Now I can't find out how many patchers there are for 1 version. F3