2. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

then im just going to say that whether because they like to get a full grasp of what being read/said or for some other reason, itd just what they choose.

this thread wasnt a "say what you feel and then bash other people" thread.

3. Default

I have no problems with people that prefer dubs. There's no logical reason behind it other than not caring or being too lazy to get/deal with subs. But everyone has their preferences, and that's just fine with me.

However, I don't see anywhere in the OP that says discussion of this subject is banned or even discouraged. I wasn't "bashing" you. I called your statement of "meant to be watched" (implying we should never have to read during it) retarded, and that's where my "harsh" words directed at you ended. Media of any kind is "meant" to be taken in, by any means possible. People don't make things for the purpose of being watched ONLY in languages everyone understands. People make things to be watched, period, however that may be.

4. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    California

Then why comment? I know it applies to me as well as I am pursuing this still, but was there a necessary reason to comment about what I said in the way that you said? And if there is a reason, regardless to if my response was a fall back of people who watch dubs, then you should be commenting on everyones responses, Im not really that worth commenting on when it boils down to it.

5. Default

Commenting on everyone's responses? What would I say? That I agree with them? Most posts in here are in favor of subs or not caring either way. Why would I respond to everyone saying "Rock on, bro!"

You favor dubs and supported it by saying it's because things were "meant to be watched" (implying reading = no no in media) and that subs could take away from the visuals. I responded to you because your post is a trigger for discussion. Your reasons are illogical, thus, I responded and shared why I believe so.

If you don't wish to discuss this with me, that's fine; don't respond. However, I have no idea why people always get their backs up and feel they're being "bashed" and flamed. That's not even the case here.

6. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    California

Another swing and a miss, goodbye then X_X

7. Default

You took my post the wrong way. But ok, I know what you mean. But I can tell you something, learning the language on paper is a lot more different than using it in real life, and that's one thing I observe from your posts was that you really do lack real life use of Japanese. By spending 3 years in Japan as a primary school student still didn't really make me perfectly proficient in the language, and I still have trouble with Kanji reading sometimes. But by reading raw manga and watch drama/anime and conversing with my Japanese friends. Can you do Japanese proficiency Exam in your area? I think you should try taking it. It's a good experience in your studies.

Ok, enough off-topicness...

When I was little I didn't mind dubs, I watched most of Sailor Moon in English dub on morning kids shows. But the older I got, and my contact with Japanese deepened, I started to find dubs unbearable. Not only with the voices, but just the unnatural nature of dubs made it unbearable. How sometimes the censor placed in English dubs are plain stupid as well. They sometimes even hack and cut the series so that it was completely different from how it was meant to be. *cough* Card Captors*cough*

Once I wrote an essay years ago about why the dubs were the way it was and publushed it on a forum somewhere. I mentioned that the reason dubs is the way it is, is because of the difference between the Japanese and Western culture. in Japan, there exist anime for all ages, from Powerpuff girls to really hard to understand anime for older audiences like Neon Genesis. Japanese takes anime industry really seriously, and all voice actors put a lot of effort into making their role come to life(as much as an onscreen actor would), because voices are the life of an anime. Where in North America, especially, they began buying Japanese series and dubbing them about over a decade ago, they were not aware of such seriousness in regards to the series, and just dubbed them the way they liked it, and try to "Americanise" them as much as they could. Why was that? Like I said, culture differences. Where in Japan, parents are not really concerned about what goes on in animes, the American parents, with the "parent guidence" in mind, are paranoid about what their kids grow up watching. Why did shows like Shaman King, where actual killing (e.g. beheading) and violence occur ends up in morning shows for kids is not beyond understanding. Older Americans regard anime as the same as cartoons, something for kids to watch. But when they started seeing stuff like homo-sexualality, violence and nudity, the production companies, getting sued like crazy for releasing such series by angry parents, began censoring them, or simply stopped dubbing it altogether. Resulting in a good serie being hacked and cut to pieces that is nearly totally unreconisable as the original.

Why did they think stuff like croquett (French style fried potatoes) are dumplings anyway? Too lazy to look it up? =______=

8. Default

This thread is basically, LEARN JAPANESE, WATCH IT RAW. DUBS ARE FOR SLOW AND STUPID F'UCKING KIDS WHO CAN'T GRASP THE CONCEPT OF JAPANESE ANIMAYSHUNZ.

I think we get the general consensus, no need to get at each others throats any more than you already have. These kinds of "personal opinion" threads are sh'itty things to bring up on an already drama prevalent internet forum - where people feel the need to bring up how their way is the superior way.
    Topic lock time?

ffs.

I guess I've calmed down, this just seems like nonsensical rambling to me.
    But seriously. Fighting on the internet, congratulations?

I usually don't let this sh'it bother me, but I'm in a bad mood and I feel like hulking.
    Last edited by Baklava; 2009-05-04 at 05:04 AM.

9. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

I don't understand a lot of Japanese, but still.

Oh, and chill dude. You Johnny bravo.

10. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    California

I hope your mood improves :c)

11. Default

No one is saying "watch it raw" here... =______=
    One thing people can't grasp is that the fact Anime is not for kids only.

12. Default

My rage wasn't talking about "raw" in the same sense you perceive it as. Not "raw" as in, un-subbed .I'm talking about...in its original language and not dubbed. My rage thought it would be more dramatic to say it that way.

I'm almost certain that's the last thing people can't grasp lol. Who here is saying anime is for kids?
    Last edited by Baklava; 2009-05-04 at 05:16 AM.

13. Default

I didn't say that anyone here thought Anime is for kids only, it's the non-anime watchers that says so? It's pretty much the sole reason dubs are so badly done anyway.

14. Default

I actually did take the test and passed it with flying colors. It's just not as easy to learn the language when you have no Japanese people to actually have conversations with, since the only one I know is my teacher and she's way too busy to do any of that. When I move to Japan in a year or two, it'll get a lot better.

This thread is doomed from the start.

15. Default

Actually, there tend to be a lot more Japanese people when you get to university.

*cough* best not to say who was the TS........ ><