57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subs...

47 82.46%
  • or dubs?

10 17.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subs or dubs?

1. Default

Ah, music. Now you've got me thinking of how Funimation "dubbed" 1000% Sparking...

2. Default

Well, words generally heard in anime such as 'kuso' or 'chikusho' tend to be translated as "shit" or "damn it," when that's not necessarily the case. Kuso is the literal word in Japanese for feces. Chikusho is more like 'dang it.' Even with the words accented in times of anger, grief, etc., it remains the same in the language. The Japanese do not consider words like this rude. To make use of such words be vulgar, you would have to incorporate it into a sentence, or sometimes a set of play-on words, to make it seem like you're causing 'harm' to the other whom you're directing your comment to. The words by themselves mean nothing vulgar, yet in anime, people translate it to seemingly vulgar words and make the words seem like they're very bad, when they're not.

Sorry to keep off-topic, but this is a fairly large misconception when it comes to people watching subbed anime and other things and taking certain words out of context and using them inappropriately.

3. Default

off topic and correction. Chikusho actually means "animal", as it was suggested in the Kanji characters, and not to mention, it's a degrading way to say animal.

I have done subbing myself, and to make the subtitles flow in the language intended, and easier for someone without the language background to understand the meaning that the lines are trying to get across, they often have to make somethings that are natural to say in the language the sub is made in. Like, if you really did translate chikusho as animal, if I don't understand Japanese, I won't be able to understand.

Vulgar or not, it's up to them to understand. If they so desire to be like the people in the anime, they might want to actually learn the language, and where the misconception dissappear. There is no real swear words in Japanese, only words that's degrading. Usually observed as where an American would have swore, the anime character said "che" instead.

Lol, I heard different language version of an anime opening. It's actuall intresting.

4. Default

Yes, but they do not use it in the context that it'd be as if you're trying to degrade someone by calling them a beast. In the context that they tend to use it in anime, it is used as 'dang it.' http://jisho.org/words?jap=%E7%95%9C...ng=&dict=edict

5. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    IGN: You
    Server: get
    Level: me
    Job: so confused.
    Guild: Follow the
    Alliance: Pretty Lights!
    argentina

Still off-topic:

It's like that example of 'urusee busu'. It's very degrading for a woman to be told to shut up that way.

Obviously in English saying 'Shut up, sillies' wouldn't have the same impact as 'Shut the pineapple up' and etc.

6. Default

Subs. D.Grayman dub is bullpomegranate. Some dubs are good like Naruto or Bleach.. or something. But still. Most Subs > Most Dubs

7. Default

What the fuck?

8. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

That's the most farfetched fuck I've ever seen.

9. Default

I'm usually neutral with both, but at times, I like subs more, they just seem more fun, to read and to watch the action happening at the same time. It's like reading a manga, but also watching things as it happens.

As far as dubs go, they're not that bad unless it has bad voice-actors/actresses.

10. Default

Have you ever seen dubs of Naruto or Bleach?

11. | (◕ ‿◕)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) Straight Male
    argentina

I mean the f'uck itself not the dubs.

12. Default

It really depends on how good the dub or sub is. Today I started watching Cyborg 009 for lack of other things to watch and the only subbed videos were horribly translated, so I watched the dub, which was better. But usually I'll watch subbed.

13. Default

What's a dub?

A lot of anime don't get dubbed until millennia after the subs come out, so I'd rather watch now than get a life later.

14. Default

Jisho? If that's what you really rely on for your Japanese, then you are bound to take lots of other things out of context. Because Dictionary isn't everything. If it was that simple, then you could just memorise the dictionary in that language and be pro at it.

Btw, there are people out there who say "ano chikusho" (That beast). Not the usual case I might add.

Then again, due to the vast differences in culture, it's pretty awkward to see English subs sometimes, even Chinese subs (very badly done ones even) translate the language better than English. I've seen a hundred different ways to translate the daily greetings (like itadakimasu, ittekimasu, tada ima), because with English there is no such things that you say everyday.

But dubs are bad, hands down. They MAYBE improving, but still, subs rule

15. Default

Believe it.

16. Default

I never said I rely on a dictionary for my Japanese. I study Japanese in school as much as I possibly can to gain as much as I possibly can. However, Jisho.org isn't just a dictionary for you to look up words and memorize them, it actually helps with Kanji, the number of strokes in the kanji, how to write the kanji, it helps with grammar (sentences section), etc. I don't rely on it, but when I'm stumbled on something, Jisho.org is a very handy tool to use (mainly with formal, honorific, and slightly casual forms of Japanese).

17. Default

Subs all the way. Dubs are good but I'm usually more familiar with the tones and pitch of the Japanese tongue and language. It seems to flow better to me.

18. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

I like dubs in the same reason id rather watch a movie that is dub with odd looking lip-sync than a movie with subtitles. Its meant to be watched, not read, hence the "moving pictures" part of it all. But as stated before, subs have the advantage of being uncensored (can be found for dubs sometimes) and uncut (same as before) but then I would have to question whether or not the anime is intellectually thought provoking, seeing as an anime such as Ghost in the Shell is meant to have you think upon the subjects brought up. With that, reading the subs can draw you away from the visuals within the anime itself, or you could lose out on what is being said (read).

19. Default

I don't think that's much better from the original phrase, DATTEBAYOO! or something like that.

And my experience with a few H-anime (Yes, I know.) titles led me to choosing the subs option, even though I'm not that much into anime compared to cartoons. And yes, my experience with watching Korean dramas shows that subs can still miss out on the actual meaning of what they're saying, which leads me to not being much into anime.

But hey, I guess H-anime would be a poor example of throwing dubs down the drain completely. If you ever watched them, you would know why.
    Last edited by Judgment; 2009-05-04 at 01:19 AM.

20. Default

The "meant to be watched" thing is absolutely retarded and really the only argument I ever see from avid dub supporters. You're still watching the visuals, but you're taking in the words through a different way. It's almost no different for me. I hear their tone of voice. I hear how they're saying the words. While I'm reading the subs, I'm getting the full context of what's happening. Anyone who can't do that needs some help, I fear.

Ridiculous. Wrong, completely. ANYTHING taken from the original intended source is detracting from its meaning. Anything censored. Especially anything edited. Many scenes not fit for America often add a lot of power to a series, whether it be violent or sexual. There's power in scenes like that. Meaning.

And again, anyone who is distracted from the visuals by reading subs needs to get past Elementary school level. Learn to read faster or learn to take in the whole thing at once, both of which should be easy. Of course, there can be BAD subs, but that is the fault of the subber and you for watching them. Find good ones or be patient for the good ones to come out.