Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Why you should regularly update your passwords

Last night, I tried logging onto my alternate account (which I haven't done in a long time). ID already logged in. Uhh. What? So I stalked "myself" and tried talking to it.

Spoiler

Sure enough, it was definitely botting for mesos. NOPE.JPG. You're not taking my account willy-nilly.

I changed my email's password, account password, and completely deactivated the account so that once this botter disconnects, he can't use it unless he knows my email password. I don't care if he took anything (useless mastery books, nebs, and 1 mil mesos). It's just a spare account and I also had a stupidly easy password and PIC anyway so this isn't a big surprise.

Checked up on it today.
    Spoiler

What surprised me was that he did not transfer the mesos. Maybe he assumed I wasn't going to do anything.

Moral of the story: Make your passwords complex and update it regularly.

And maybe this is a sign that botters are trying to hack accounts with higher level characters rather than leveling one on their own.

2. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

i dunno about you, but i'd make a thread on nexon's forums or something, with our luck you'll get banned because of this guy botting.

3. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Better yet, make accounts with stupidly easy passwords and PICs (and optionally, download keyloggers on spare unused PCs) and wait for the meso train to roll in. Log in occasionally to withdraw from your new investment. Win!

4. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

I'm not sure where to put it (General...?) but I did log a pretty long ticket about it after this suggestion. Thanks

Until you accidentally log into your bank account or type your SSN. Royally pineappleed.

5. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

/* Your IGN is the same as my guild name Also I recognize that hair on your bishop~ */

That would be a scary sight, having someone violate your character like that :S

Also, what was your password made of?

Lower Case, Upper Case, Numbers, Symbols?

6. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Two lower case words you could easily pick out of the English dictionary and combine.

It is now a mix of everything. A small part of my PW now is dedicated to cussing at him in Korean.

7. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Silly and the -1er. I suppose the "spare, unused" part or the flippant manner of my suggestion was lost through the text. I guess I should make it clear, I am not advocating getting yourself keylogged, silly billies.

8. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Eeep... so like "abababab" or "aaaabbbb"?

And I'm guessing your new pw contains an F and a U lol.

9. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

aaabbb, like appleorange. Lesson learned.

Something to that extent, yeah.

10. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

While this may sound like a cute idea...
    1 There is a risk that Nexon will get clever and when they see botters, not ban them immediatly, but rather track and see who the mesos go to and then ban both accounts.
    2: Most botters may transfer mesos every time they log off
    3: The chance of a hacker choosing to try your new bait account with password 'password' from among hundreds of thousands of other noob accounts may be very small.

11. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

this happened to my friend's account i have access to. i saw him login im like wtp, cuz he quit 2 yrs ago? the hacker proceeded to bot on his acct as well. i ended up messing with the hacker all night for fun LOL kept dcing him, stripping him all the money and weapon, sticking him in some random place with no return scrolls. then when the hacker logged in again, after a few hrs, i would dc him and move all the money off, throw away the weapon, and move him again LOL!

my friend no longer has access to the email, so i couldn't change the email. at least i can piss the hacker off and dc him whenever i want LOL

12. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

I have a history log of all my passwords. Discounting my current one.

Here is the log for them.
    DatePasswordBit Strength
    9/10/201180tKI"DCjznC/Jcnwz8%Mj^dHqMO:wUp`r,XeI^Z1oqYZ`stu'wlNk,3XcJq303
    9/25/2011QjkaF1eaNLM9=^s2LzWPLOKSG0Y0ip"MG?5n@Q9RdadRw4$c&?KCZ`wsfE;5304
    10/30/20116ep^9CSy@uOeIqGgKnC8'au&USN7n`1gRTJ#M1:ZZ.\yF4*9ik%\G=LeW/^Y306
    11/4/2011+sWQD*/I$QU3wFT8M$UxU.o*xT"2'es/nY\EW%K0:RrQRA7put?n?t93`M/k316
    12/16/2011'dj*$7c*W5lmbzK1OhObf=M=f':xLPJQ;d@5$01unh%z5Gv^UWt!I&X`Xcaw321
    1/3/20124HZ.v!YXU=fY'Qoad\Z`s;:9Iid1AOL3\?nRrck#a*I29EVe5a.u+,HSx=&&330
    2/3/2012R.nvpdd$!7YB'l@r?"evFxIYXN;C=5SWxX8*$#qp#Y.Y@2`e+LM24?,W`%y7EzuM323
    2/3/20129mbYK=YvRW'xI!%9"mL8p@srvj3!#05Si6e+NoF3QfRzqVp?CG&wT,K;Msf*320
    6/3/2012L0o?H1V#mcYMEH2,sUGzeKt'nF5r4D@ID;Mi+XQdOG\!UyXuuL22vBpV:RJd324
    9/2/2012uS;!`2Xb!y09nyI/+d3VKRcL#6lH:x@@Af1=4qXZ@"*?l!1A3.mwM4G=u5uE323

tl;dr password managers are amazing.

13. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

We are probably using the same password creator.

14. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Do you log in via web, or is there a password manager that can input the password to Maple for you?

One of my old passwords was tP7f%He3; but it's only 9 chars so I deprecated it.

15. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Spoiler

"I know exactly how what a googol is!," said no one ever.

16. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Well, it's over 16 so it should be pretty safe.

17. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

My password manager (KeePass) can input the username and password in Maple for me with a keyboard shortcut.

@Mandalay; googol is the pun google uses for its name. It's 1.0 x 10^100

18. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Googol = One and 100 Zeros.

That's how I always remember it lol

19. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Mind if I ask how one does that? I use the same program but I've resigned to copy and pasting. It might not even be that beneficial for me since I only use it for mules. I have my main's 15 character random memorized and muscle-memoried into my hand, though there are situations where I resort to the mentioned method when my mind gets fuzzy.

20. Default Re: Why you should regularly update your passwords

Actually, chances are that the botter didn't realize that your password had changed until after they tried to log in again. When it failed, it was too late, and all the stuff they left after they last botted became yours by default.

I think it would have been hilarious if it was one of those accounts that they use to sell stuff...and you ended up with a ton of Mastery books or something.

Not condoning purposely getting your accounts botted so that you can steal from them, it would just be hilarious.