Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 10th anniversary microsite now live

http://maplestory.nexon.net/micro-site/10thAnniversary

That timeline and statistics? The statistics are painful and the timeline picked some weird events to zone in on imho.

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

The extra inventory slots is nice, but sheesh at all those recycled events again. I'm just not motivated to even log in anymore.

3. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

I'd prefer a video timeline, like the one that Nexon Korea did.

4. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

The graphic designer in me wishes they'd hire a better graphic designer to make a good infographic of more interesting stats.

IE...the face one would be interesting if they ruled out the default faces.

5. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

I... was even thinking this myself. They should have taken out the default faces, as those completely and utterly skew the statistics. Kind of a pointless thing to show otherwise....

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Depends what they're trying to show, I guess?
    Maybe it's not "top 5 most popular (i.e., liked) faces", but rather "top 5 most common faces (so if you want to be special you better change yours!)"

I agree their entire statistics page could have been better done. The "character levels" is misleading because it counts millions of characters abandoned since pre-bb, and millions more storage mules that nobody is trying to level up. If they showed only "active" characters (let's say, played at least 50 hours in the past year) the picture would be much different.

Similarly, the Puffram given out by Tot should not have been on the "most popular pet" table. I think if they only showed living pets, the top five would be much different (but skewed towards permanent pets).

Finally, 100 million accounts created worldwide. What exactly does that mean? Across all MS services? Why is that even relevant to GMS 10th anniversary? And if it's in GMS alone, and "worldwide" means including Australia etc, then wow. Compare 100m accounts with about 40m characters (in the level breakdown) and you see that at least 60m accounts have been banned (or abandoned without ever creating a character, but I doubt there are very many of those)... probably more, as active accounts almost always have more than one character on them.

7. Idiot. Male
    California

I think they're counting Nexon accounts, not necessarily MapleStory accounts with characters in them. 40 million characters out of (more than) 100 million for accounts seems fairly reasonable considering how many games Nexon is currently servicing and has serviced (Audition, Kartrider, iTCG Online, Sugar Rush, DFO, Sudden Attack, PopTag).

8. Orbital Bee Cannon

What do Nexon accounts have to do with "MapleStory by the numbers"?

9. Idiot. Male
    California

Every Nexon account technically has a MapleStory account (whether or not they have a character in there or not). So.... 100 million MapleStory accounts mean 100 million Nexon accounts. But since not every Nexon account has a MapleStory character (just like how some of us have a Nexon account, but don't have a Mabinogi character or Combat Arms mercenary), it makes sense to have only 40 million characters despite having 100 million accounts registered.
    Nevermind.

10. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

It's weird that they included the Motivated Look and Defiant Face (and Prudent Face/Fearful Stare) as separate options, the only difference is the colour, and the fact that one of them was used a decade ago before it was renamed.

The level breakdown of characters statistic makes me really sad for some reason. Thousands of those level 151-200 characters are people I likely encountered in-game years ago that stopped playing. It's quite strange to look at and think about. I'd be very interested in seeing a breakdown like this that excludes mule/bot/illegit characters, but I know that's essentially impossible to recreate.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon

For one thing, they could do "account level" instead of "character level". Every account with a level 200+ character also has a dozen level 120 link-skill mules, and perhaps a few level 10-30 storage mules. By showing "account level" (i.e., the level of the highest character on the account), they show a more realistic image of "how far do people get in the game".
    Obviously there are also accounts that are pure storage and probably don't have any character over 33 (for Hot Day gifts), but it's hard to know how to rule those out. Nexon could, and for all I know does, keep track of "account families" - accounts that play from the same IP and frequently trade with each other - but I doubt they'd want to further reduce their "40 million characters" down to maybe 400,000 users (not necessarily active).

As for pure bots, I'm assuming that the ones that got banned are not in the statistic at all. I'm guessing there are no more than a few hundred thousand active bot accounts at any one time. But that's pure guess.

12. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

Now it makes sense why they make theme dungeons for people level 30~50 all the damn time... It's cause everyones mule is level 11~50.

13. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

I just think it's weird the patches they chose to hone in on. Like..why NLC and not Tynerum too? Why not Gollux and Commerci, all which is really unique content. What about Beast Tamer?

Inb4 Masteria Expansion theories because they chose to use that in the timeline

14. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

Since no one has bothered to mention it yet, remember you need to click the REGISTER button... or else you will NOT be getting all those fun 8x expansion slot coupons!

I remember the last one of these did (a couple months ago I think) there were a whole SLEW of people who didn't understand the whole "registration" thing and wound up missing out on the gift pack. Speaking of which, if you have any left-over, unused megaphones you could try and let everyone in your world know about registering.

Apparently the 10th Anniversary shop is likewise going to have expansion slot coupons available as well (not sure what the restrictions will be) so it's gonna be a real awesome time to start expanding inventories, especially on mules, cause usually the restrictions aren't account based, they're character based.

I'm guessing there's going to be new maple leaves as well, which means there's probably going to be a fresh new batch of scammers selling old/outdates leaves for crazy prices.

Looks like there's a few complainers already whining, but I think this event is gonna be pretty fun overall! Been looking forward to it for some time.

15. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

Them showing off the amount of mesos spent feels so shameless. Over half of that amout comes from meso hackers. Same with half of the 54 level 250 characters.

They better put prime scrolls into these reused events.

16. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: I'm
    Server: not
    Level: on
    Job: this
    Guild: damn
    Alliance: game
    Farm: anymore
    canada

"In limited quantities"

17. Idiot. Male
    California

Video timeline + the Why I'm a Mapler contest videos.

18. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

Bigger numbers is better right? :3

19. Default Re: 10th anniversary microsite now live

Lmao

Anyway, looks pretty underwhelming.

20. Orbital Bee Cannon

I know, right?
    Looks like Big Bang failed, and leveling in MapleStory is as hard as it's ever been.