IGN: QuIt!!!
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 184
    Job: ♥Bishop
    Guild: QUIT!
    Alliance: quit quit QUIT
    Michigan

Default Traveling to Chicago

... April 1-5th. Looking for some fun things to do there other than the obvious aquarium, planetarium, field museum, etc. We'll have 3 kids with us, so obviously it has to be kid friendly. Also, looking for recommendations on food choices. Nothing weird lol.

Maybe someone has some other ideas!

thanks yall :-)

2. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: Traveling to Chicago

Millenium Park is nice (it has "the bean" metallic sculpture, which is pretty cool)
    Spoiler

I don't know how old your children are, but when I was younger (and even today), I enjoy going to China town to look around.
    Also, try Navy Pier!

hm..as for food, if it were to be just you and your husband going, I'd recommend a different set of restaurants all together but:

P.F. Chang's is delicious, a personal favorite of mine.
    Bennigan's is located next to the Art Institute, and slightly irish-themed and has pretty decent food.
    Although it's kind of weird, and I can't be sure how child-friendly it is since I've yet to experience it, Ed Debevic's is a restaurant in which the waiters/waitresses purposely act rude to you (or so I've heard). Here is their site: http://www.eddebevics.com/

3. Default Re: Traveling to Chicago

Go visit the Bean. It's that huge ass metal curved oval with a bunch of tourists around it looking at their reflections through it. Pretty cool actually.

4. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    Michigan

Ahhh... yes he should! *waits for him to chime in*

Also, the bean and navy pier are on my list already! As are Legoland and Midevial times :-)

About China Town... is that located near Andersonville? Cause that's where we're staying and I thought it said something about being close to it. If it is, I'll be so excited.

5. Water
    IGN: DrkLilith
    Server: GAZED
    Level: 210
    Job: DarkCryokinesis
    Guild: TheAura
    Alliance: Aura
    Farm: FIareon (dead)

Deeeeeep Disssshhhhh Pizzzzaaaaaaaa. It's fun in Chicago....most of the time I've been there, all I remember is looking at the city from the "Sears" Tower, going from place to place by train, busy streets, nice parks (well, when I went down lake shore drive), going to the Field Museum and Shed Aquarium and visiting the water tower mini mall. :b

For some reason, I used to go to chinatown a lot when I was younger but for some reason, I forgot where it was now. >.>

6. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

I really don't have much else to add - everyone's said pretty much everything I'd recommend for a few days with all the big sights. EDIT: Apparently I do lol.

Definitely head to the museums, the kids will love them (ESPECIALLY MSI, the Museum of Science Industry, and The Field Museum, lots of incredibly cool interactive exhibits that change frequently and are a lot of fun for kids while staying very educational).

Navy Pier is great as well, provided it's not cold, rainy, and gross. If the kids are old enough to appreciate it (slash they may have shows geared towards younger kids? I don't recall) check out the Chicago Shakespeare Theatre on Navy Pier; great takes on Shakespeare's works, all in a perfectly recreated yet still modern Globe Theatre (the original theatre in London where his plays were performed). If they have younger-crowd angled shows, especially matinees, they'll probably be really decently priced (their college rush tickets are $20-$25).

If you're also into shows take a look at Chicago Symphony Orchestra - they do different shows geared to different ages like any creative group in the city. And their performance space, Orchestra Hall, is just beautiful.

Like people said too, definitely Millennium Park for the bean and, if it's warm enough, the water displays. Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park is great. Another definite, depending on the age and interest of the kids, would be a guided river tour. There are tons available, something like an hour to two hour cruise down the river through the middle of the city, with the different options geared towards different information (ex. I went on an architectural one once, so highlights were things like the Trump Tower and the Tribune building).

Oh, and definitely the Sky Deck at the Sears Tower (er, it's called the Willis Tower now, but I'll never call it that). Choose the clearest day you can for that trip and you can see miles across the lake and even into the suburbs.

Finally, restaurants: I've been to Ed Debevic's multiple times, like @icephoenix21 recommended, and think it would be a TON of fun for the kids, no matter the age. It's a 1950s-esque diner feel (so a menu of burgers, fries, pie, etc. classics), and yes, the waiters are intentionally rude, but all to be hilariously over-the-top sassy (like they'll come up and yell at kids for not eating their vegetables) before they put on little dance shows around the restaurant. It's very entertaining.

Otherwise the Rainforest Cafe is either right across the street or just down the block from Ed's, and is another great option. But yes, if you're in Chicago definitely get deep dish pizza, it's only the best there. My personal favorite is Lou Malnati's, but almost any place will be great.

One last bit: baseball's opening day is April 1, and while my roommate (a HUGE Cubs fan) told me their first home game isn't until April 8, if you're interested in the White Sox, they may have a game.

Phew! That's all I've got for now, but I'll let you know if I think of anything else!

7. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    Michigan

Thank you! Very helpful!! We'll have to check into these things! Is there an admission charge to Navy Pier? I keep hearing different things. ALso, at that time in APril, will boat tours be happening?

Have you heard of Butcher and the Burger? Saw it on Travel Channel and just wondering if it's worth checking into?

8. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    New_York

Gah here is where my knowledge ends. I'm not sure about an admission charge, but I feel like there is - something like $10-20 - at least from what I vaguely remember. It's been at least four years since I've been on the Pier.

Not sure about the boat tours either, but that's a great question. I'd imagine they would, provided it's not like 40 degrees and the river is partially frozen or something.

I also haven't heard of that restaurant, but it sounds cool from what you've said! I actually know rather little of dining in the city, sadly, as my experiences have almost always been with family or friends repeatedly choosing the same big names (like those I mentioned), and usually only for special events or the occasional trip into the city. Ironically, one of my really good friends is in town today with me for a fashion show, and she's a food journalist in the city, so I'll ask her for some neat kid-friendly ideas tonight!

9. Default Re: Traveling to Chicago

I don't think there's a charge to go into Navy Pier itself, but the amusement rides there and stuff would cost money. When I went to Chicago a year ago, my dad bought the Citypass, and that gets you into most of the attractions in Chicago. Definitely check what's open or not though. I went during the summer, so most things were open, but I remember seeing a lot of date restrictions in the handbook.

Foodwise, Chicago's Chinatown is really good. More authentic and not really American-Chinese food.

10. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    Michigan

Awesome! Thank you, kind sir!

Yea, I figured the rides would cost, just wasn't sure about the area itself. We did buy the city pass as well. Great value for 5 of us. Normal cost would of been almost $800 and with city pass only paid $350. I'll take that over the 800 any day lol.

We're also buying 3 day transit passes. Seems like a better deal than paying for individual rides... I think.

11. Neutron
    (Banned from this thread)
    Straight Male
    IGN: ChungyChing
    Server: Windia
    Level: 209
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Boundless
    usa

Your schedule
    April 1st: Go to a bar. April 2nd: Go to a bar April 3rd: Go to a bar April 4th: Go to a bar. April 5th: Go to a bar.
    Kid's Schedule
    April 1st: Daycare and watch movies April 2nd: Daycare and watch movies April 3rd: Daycare and watch movies April 4th: Daycare and watch movies April 5th: Daycare and watch movies

12. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    Michigan

No. #1 I don't drink. #2 I'm there to spend time with my kids, not drop them off. #3 Why would I leave my kids in a foreign city with compete strangers?

13. Neutron
    (Banned from this thread)
    Straight Male
    IGN: ChungyChing
    Server: Windia
    Level: 209
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Boundless
    usa

1. Okay.
    2. Okay.
    3. Compete? Nobody was mentioning sports. And if you can't trust your kids with strangers, how will you cope with them going to school? I love your logic.

14. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

>>>Awesome, people are mentioning awesome places in Chicago. I'll keep this thread bookmarked in case I ever go there.

>>>Obviously expected a sarcastic post, since this is Southperry after all. Kinda funny, w/e.

>>>Uh...Katie actually took it seriously?

>>>Oh great trollers be trolling.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

I checked Othello: The Remix at Chicago Shakespeare Theater a couple days ago. Hilarious one and a half hours. Pretty much Othello meets Rap/Hip-Hop. Usually plays at 7:30 at night.

You should also at least take one boat traveling through Chicago. A relaxing way to view the city.

Oh, get Garrett Popcorn at some point. If you don't, I'll be massively disappoint.

16. ☆ ♥ ツ Straight Female
    Michigan

I have nails. Nails = typos.

He's going to have to troll me better. I know better especially with the people here . . . I don't take anyone here serious unless I know them from at least 2 -4 years ago to be honest :)

Hmm.. that play sounds interesting. Sounds like something I would like. As far as the boat tour, I can't seem to find one that is running the first week of April. Although, I still am looking, because I think the kids would think it's fun.

And we're definitely going to Garretts. Always use to go there as a kid and I can't let my kids down in the popcorn area :) I WILL NOT DISAPPOINT YOU!

17. Helium Atom Straight Female
    IGN: Deviatoric
    Server: El Nido
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: Princess
    Alliance: Twerk
    Wisconsin

I hope the weather is better in April than it has been so far this month...

I just moved back to the Chicago area after being away for about 5 years, so my knowledge may be a bit outdated and I haven't had a chance to visit the city yet... I believe entering Navy Pier is free, but expect to pay for parking... actually, no matter where you go, expect to pay for parking.

It may or may not be worth walking down the Magnificent Mile? I remember it being really pretty, but it's mostly shopping stuffs.

18. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    New_York

I was going to suggest the Magnificent Mile, like @Abbeh, but hesitated because, again, I'm not sure how interesting it may be to the kids. I of course love it, being the shopping mecca of the city, but it is just a long avenue filled with really cool stores.

Actually, scratch that, definitely check it out if you can. There are bunch of kid-friendly stores (I think there's a Toys R Us at Water Tower Place? I forget), and there are some iconic landmarks, especially the Tribune Building at the south end and, again, the famous water tower that survived the Great Chicago Fire, up by Armani and Topshop near the end of the avenue.

Also, I asked my foodie friend for more recommendations. She said, no question, a night of Chicago-style pizza is a must (which I figured you're already planning anyways), and said that while she likes Lou Malnati's like me (we both grew up together in a suburb that had one of the chain), she recommends Pizano's as the best in the city. She also strongly recommends Scooter's Frozen Custard for a refreshing sweet treat. And I must say, though I haven't tried Scooter's yet, every time she posts a photo from the restaurant on Facebook I long a little more for a taste.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

I don't remember if I ever ate Lou Malnati's pizza, but Giordano's is a pretty great place as well. There's also Ricobene's in terms of a Chicago oriented restaurant. The king-sized breaded steak sandwich is pretty much the reason you want to eat there. It's a food coma inducing sandwich that's well worth it. Heck, I bet that you can share that with your significant other and both of you will be full from that alone. The pizza and snadwiches in general aren't bad at all, and the local cops frequently dine there, so you can be sure that place will be safe to eat. Haha.