Job: I/l mage
    Guild: Imperial
    Alliance: Royal
    Washington

Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

Finally! Let the chain ban begin

Wait why are they not doing this now?

-__-

The hackers in windia DO NOT SLEEP! They either have it set to auto chat or something

4. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: JustFezXD
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Battle Mage
    Guild: LunarKnightz
    Alliance: RegalKnightz
    Oklahoma

Back end update could mean anything..

5. Proton Gay Male
    IGN: Ferons
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Chrono
    Alliance: Nocturnal
    Farm: Kansas
    canada

Less Pink as of tomorrow, please.

6. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i didn't even log into maple yesterday, gonna be fun.

7. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

Can we go even just a god damn WEEK without a USC? Honestly ._. This is bananas.

8. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

It's okay. Neither do the ones in Broa.

9. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

Is it just me or did EMS, GMS and MSEA all get problems with maintenances this week?

10. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Good. I needed a better FM spot since I forgot to reset yesterday...

11. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

Yeah, how dare Nexon tend to obviously exploitatious flaws in their game! I demand compensation for maintenance during the time most aren't even playing.

12. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but it wouldn't kill Nexon to actually double check their exclusive content before releasing it to the public server seeing that some of these could have an impact on their revenue.

13. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

Exploits happen in unforeseen ways. Since the exploit only came out a day or two ago (after the latest maintenance), I'd say it's actually one of the more... harder to abuse exploits (one that required a hack packet in order. The fact that Nexon is giving this attention sooner rather than later is beneficial, methinks.

And it's not simply the exclusive content that is currently being exploited. There's also the matter of the stack hack that's still at large (which I will admit to being- based on the time it's been at large, is inexcusable. )

14. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

The fact that a single packet can cause issues like this (Every single pineappleing time) says leagues and bounds about the infrastructure of this game and its servers. You can throw the "at least they're fixing it" card as much as you want, but this pomegranate shouldn't be happening on a weekly basis. It's called preventative measures. I don't see blizzard's games going down weekly due to an exploit or flaw in the game's design. Why should it be okay here?

Yeah, okay woohoo, a simple hack that actually does nothing truly damaging is getting patched. Whoopdey pineappleing doo. Meanwhile DC hacks, stack hack, and other far more serious issues are swept under the god dam rug. As usual.

15. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

I agree with that. And yet given that the exploits still stem from what is roughly the same resources testing the content to track for loopholes would also help them to save a lot of time especially if they end up breaking something else after fixing this one. At least they do have the courtesy to do it at a somewhat less peak hour in comparison to Asiasoft that pretty much pulled the server down just as people were getting ready to play.

Edit: And Justin has a good point. Regardless of instant revenue no gaming company survives without knowing how letting critical hacks linger paralyses or discourages players from playing, whatever happened to the short glory days of Hard Mode Magnus banning that was simple, effective and swift in retribution?

16. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

I don't really think we should let Nexon hide behind such vague stuff though.
    We all know by now how tricky it is to shut out hackers from exploiting stuff, but by the seven tiny elephants of space, most of these event exploits we have seen over the years could have been easily dodged by giving stuff a last check before release.

17. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

You can't tell me that pink isn't hurting your eyes. In Scania, it's full on stupid. But I will grant you that maple's left vulnerable to a lot of pomegranate. They've tried to cover that spot in the past (what with Black cipher), but we all know how well that turned out. It could be possible that NexonAM is still awaiting a fix from NexonKR as regards to the stack hack, but eh, I won't say anymore in their defense. I'm just glad they're patching this mess so I can finally see my guild mates when they're trying to talk.

There will probably be plentiful bans tomorrow, just as there has been lately. A part of me thinks that Nexon simply sits back and lets the numbers accumulate, then cut them all down with one, fell swoop.

18. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

It's possible. I hope they do at least catch a lot of the people with the cube fragments and learned a lesson about not letting these items be abused even if someone finds an exploit for it.

19. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

Nexon should really "throttle" smegas, so to speak. Put a 30 or 60 second cooldown on them or something. Would slow the spam down by a LOOOOOT. I don't know why they haven't put something like that in already.

20. Default Re: Unscheduled Maintenance - February 22, 2013

You're comparing two games from two different companies with two very different business models.

I've never played WoW so, I don't know how they bill users--I'm assuming they charge you via credit card or paypal on a subscription basis. Getting banned is a big deal because your money goes down the drain. Heck, creating an account just to exploit a glitch or use a hack costs money. In such a system, people are much less likely to go against the ToS.

Now, consider MapleStory, which is F2P. Getting banned means pomegranate. You can create as many accounts as you want. Exploiters are more likely to take advantage of a game like this because they have nothing to lose.

And honestly, people find exploits in the most ridiculous things that I'd hardly blame Nexon for overlooking them.

That Star Generator exploit a few patches back? Yes, Nexon was careless.
    The repeatable Everyday Happytime Box? Yes, Nexon was careless.

But people going out of their way to download some hack (made specifically by people who are intentionally exploiting the game) that lets them modify how the game runs? If there's a will, there's always a way.

There's only so much that 'preventative' measures can do. If everything can be prevented, people wouldn't have their homes broken into. We wouldn't be seeing jailbreaks on iOS 6 a few months into its release. People wouldn't have been downloading Roms for their Nintendo DSs. We wouldn't be seeing cracked copies of software that normally costs thousands of dollars from large corporates such as Adobe up for download.