IGN: Fumni/AcerSavita
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 16X
    Job: Ketchup
    Guild: Resonance
    Alliance: Everybody Leeches
    New_Jersey

Default verification of system specifications for MapleStory

I'm experiencing a lag that is making the game unplayable and is occasionally booting me off, especially in every major town, where it will freeze up the screen on my end.

I'm aware people have been having problems with BlackCiph3r lagging them, but I tried turning that off and still have the same issues. Turning down my settings to the lowest resolution didn't help either.

The only thing I can think of is the game either is something that my computer can't handle specification wise, or there is something else I need to investigate.

Can anyone verify that the specifications Nexon has on their website is still accurate? I looked at the recommended settings, and I'm way over all of the requirements. Knowing Nexon, they may have forgotten to update it. The specifications are below.

Recommended Setting
    OS-Windows XP or later
    CPU-P 4-1.8Ghz
    RAM-256MB
    HDD-3GB
    VGA-3D Acceleration card
    SOUND-16bit Sound Card
    NETWORK-Cable/DSL

Thanks for the help.

2. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Default Re: verification of system specifications for MapleStory

RAM is probably wrong, comparing to the size of the game and how much you have to load (?).
    CPU should be around 2 gigahertz and up for the reason above.
    OS is Windows XP and below or Windows 2k and up, Windows Vista and Windows 7 still has trouble sometimes.
    HDD, don't really know what that is, same goes for VGA.
    Sound and Network should be fine.

3. Water
    New_Jersey

Any idea on the RAM? I have 1 GB. The CPU should be fine on my end, but I think it might be a RAM issue.

4. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

I'm just guessing here, but I'm gonna go with around 1 to 2GB, 1 being minimum and 2 for maximum.

5. Lead Ball
    IGN: Killmeplsok
    Server: Cassiopeia
    Level: 181
    Job: Captain
    Guild: LoveOfCari
    Alliance: LoveOfCari
    malaysia

HDD refers to Hard Disk Drive. Space required for the client I suppose.

Vista and 7 cause problems?
    That's new to me, at least, for the past one year that's it.
    Maybe it's MSEA which is special, because those people who dcs, reboots and such are all using XP now. Windows 7 and Vista are kind of, fixed.

6. ~Thrust Into It~ Straight Male
    IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

VGA is Video Graphics Accelerator, or something along those lines. Basically your video/graphics card.

7. Default Re: verification of system specifications for MapleStory

Try to do some more testing to see if it's the towns themselves, or simply the gathering of other players that are triggering the lag/crashing.

MS doesn't inherently require a lot of ram, its issue is memory leaks. It will consume all your system's ram given enough time/leak encounters, then become unstable and crash. More ram can make this take longer, for some problems.

I still experience crippling mount lag usually, and I have 4GB of ram.

If it is the towns themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if some of your content broke, possibly due to wz corruption. That stupid giant TV they put in every town seems like a prime source for problems. If your wz files are corrupted, reinstalling MS should fix the problem.

8. Water
    New_Jersey

It's every town except for Ardent Mill. Also most of the maps run slower than normal, but are at least somewhat playable. I think you might be onto something with the memory leak, because when I first logged on after I d/led the game, towns like Henesys would lag but became progressively worse after a while to the point that entering them means either resetting or trying to navigate a window that refreshes once a minute.

Has corrupted .wz files been an issue in the past? I'd hate to reinstall again, given it took nearly 2 hours to install last time.

9. Default Re: verification of system specifications for MapleStory

A memory leak happens in one session of having the game running, it isn't something that happens over multiple sessions.

10. Water
    New_Jersey

Well, I've been digging a little further on this and realize this town lag problem has been going on since late 2010/early 2011, and a lot of people with computers more powerful than mine have the same issue.

A lot of people are laying the blame on Gaga and Cassandra as the cause of the town lag, but I don't know how accurate that claim is. I'm surprised that a problem that seems to be affecting a decent portion of the Maplestory population has yet to be resolved or that any decent solutions have not been found. From reading some of the posts online, it seems that turning down the graphics, using game booster, resetting winsock in the command window, etc., has not resolved the problem.

Given that I have confirmation that it isn't my computer specifications that is causing the issue, I'll have to look elsewhere for a fix, or just quit. Frankly, if this has been going on for over a year with no solution, it's no wonder why GMS's population has been on the decline lately.

11. Default Re: verification of system specifications for MapleStory

Your computer is the problem. The game may have issues for other people, but a better computer would improve your performance significantly. Your computer is almost a decade old!

12. Water
    New_Jersey

I'm aware of my computer's age, but from what I've read online, people with more powerful computers have had the same issue with a FPS lag in towns alone for over a year and Nexon has yet to acknowledge it exists. Either way, I have my question answered.

13. Default Re: verification of system specifications for MapleStory

1GB of ram to run your OS + MS is too little nowadays.

I do not know how much RAM Hackshield or anything else MS runs uses, but that right there is 360MB's of RAM being used by an idle instance of MS. In the past I have seen it spike above 500MB of RAM usage as well.

(I found the graph here)

As for plain old FPS issues, in GMS I sometimes run into the 20fps range ONCE in a while. In KMS I RARELY drop below 50fps. I think its another issue of GMS vs KMS in terms of quality.

14. Default Re: verification of system specifications for MapleStory

The problem is definitely one of them. I experience town lag in pretty much every town except aquaroad where cassandra/gaga/admin are in a seperate map, and I lag when I'm inside that map.

15. Water
    New_Jersey

Yeah those are the numbers I see too in Task Manager when I run MS, so thank you for your confirmation. I can get the game to run at a higher FPS in towns by running the game in Windows Mode and running MS as a high priority, but I occasionally get booted without a warning or pop-up message as a result. It's weird it's just the towns that lag, since I even went into the FM and it ran fine.