1. Default 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-work/2594203/
    79% of people have "economic insecurity" in the US. Looks like we are doing pretty good guys!

2. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

As a jobless person whose last actual job was back in January, this article speaks to me.

And to be fair, both Democrats and Republicans don't seem like they care enough, no matter what they say.

3. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

Oh yeah, regardless of what any politician says, they don't give a damn as long as they get paid. I've applied for around a thousand jobs since 2010 and never gotten one, and only gotten like 10 emails back saying "no thanks", and only gotten 3 interviews.

4. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

US is sinking in its debt. I don't know whole lot about how government debt works but I know that no1 would let an invidual to keep on loaning millions on top of their old debt. At some point, US needs to pay back right? Enlighten me economy geniuses.

Cutting down on military spending and *maybe just maybe* taxing the rich a bit more would be a good start to improve the economy.

5. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

I am the 20%.
    Last edited by Dusk; 2013-07-29 at 12:44 PM.

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

Complex problems have simple, easy to understand, wrong answers.

7. the Immutable Neuter
    IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

Global economy is hard.

8. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

Well of course not, both sides up in the big bad capitol are fueled and powered by big companies that make pomegranate tons of money puppeteering them folks. They're gonna work us more, pay us less, and we're still going to buy their product and continue to be employed by them because our government says they're going to help us, right?

9. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

How we ended up with every nearly first world country spending more money than they have continues to baffle me.

10. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

It's easy to pineapple things up, hard to do them right.

Especially when the only people that want to run for office are idiots, only an idiot would want those jobs in the first place. Stupidity and greed go hand in hand; they do things in the way that best gets them what they want and pineapple the rest.

11. Brick Male
    IGN: ZeroCA
    Server: Windia
    Level: 21x
    Job: Zero
    Guild: EssentiaI
    Alliance: N/A
    Farm: ReneMule
    usa

Taxing the rich, while it seems plausible in theory, is NOT something politicians will do. Power makes people stupid. Sometimes I wish that the meek will truly inherit the earth, because at least they won't crash it into the ground.

Military spending IS quite large, but, IIRC, the US spends almost double that on giving out benefits. There doesn't seem to be a simple way for the US to crawl out of its crippling debt... but there should be ways that the US can prevent making the hole deeper, I'd think.

12. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

"I want cheap health care"
    "I want public transportation"
    "I want gr8 roads"
    "I want unemployment insurance"
    "I want cheap health care when I'm old and crusty"
    "I want cheap fuel"
    "I don't want to pay more in taxes"

13. Default Re: 80% of Americans will experience poverty at some point in their life

More taxation doesn't fix the underlying problem; it would fix things for a couple years at most before the government readjusted based on the enhanced income, which would make us worse off than before. Inefficient doesn't even scratch the surface, because that would imply that government has at least SOME form of efficiency. There are so many examples of them throwing billions of dollars away for no reason, it's insane. Here's one; a guy that my parents both "worked" with for 20 years has probably made around 10 million off of the system by himself in his lifetime, using loopholes in the law like everyone else. He has a mansion, a wife that makes 7 digits, and he makes high 6. He is in a union. He works ONE WEEK PER TWO YEARS and makes 90% of his salary off of unemployment for the remaining 103 weeks, because of his union. He keeps all of his benefits on his "vacation", because of his union. His company has no choice but to allow him to return one week per two years (unemployment would expire one week later), because of his union.

Is this fair? I hope not. Is this common? Yes. In fact, almost every engineer at their company, ALL of the companies in that district, that are in unions, follow that exact same model. Again, this is only a single example, not the most wasteful or the least, that our government does.