1. Default Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Anyone know of a good alternative to Illustrator/vector based drawing software and with any good experiences they would like to share?

2. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

I'm really not aware of any..but may I ask why you'd want to use something other than Illustrator?

3. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

I do a bit of graphics and multimedia stuff here and there as a hobby. I mostly use both GIMP and Inkscape. There are a few other things I use with them to tack on and experiment with if needed.
    GIMP is an alternative to Photoshop while Inkscape is alternative to Illustrator. They're both free and open source applications to fit whatever graphics project you need to do. They're both very similar to their alternative counterparts having mostly the same features, but there are some slightly different features. They both get the job done for me and you'll get used them the more you use and read about them.

www.inkscape.org/en/
    http://www.gimp.org/

4. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

My student edition for Illustrator won't let me do things I want to do (license and commercial use). I also don't support Adobe CC and buying a CS6 license for $600 is too steep especially since Adobe is halting all support for older versions in favor of CC. I don't want to drop more than half a grand on unsupported software from a company who's current direction I don't support.

@Kubi; Inkscape looks fantastic. I'll be trying it out.

5. Donator Straight Female
    canada

Oh, eh..I never pay for adobe software, but I can understand your stance on the issue

6. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

*wink wink* Neither do I.... I sail the pirate bays!

OT: as a graphic designer student, there is nothing I can suggest other than Corel Draw if you are not going to use Ai.. is the most complete, I've tried

Give it a chance.. but remember, you can always get free stuffs in the internet >:}

7. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Would you be as proud of yourself if you had managed to sneak into a concert without paying?
    Would you be recommending it to everyone as well?

It's one thing to steal, quite another to act like you're so smart for doing it.

8. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

moralist, is not stealing is sharing :3

I'm not acting like Im smart for doing it, LOL

9. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Sharing? So is entering a concert, or ball game, or theme park, without paying. Also stowing away on a ship, or crashing a party you weren't invited to and enjoying the "free" food and drinks. Would you do all these things? Would you brag about them? Would you recommend them to Sephie (or anyone else)?

10. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

11. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

Let me know how well Inkscape works for you. Unfortunately, Inkscape does not have everything Illustrator does, but it's still pretty impressive with the amount of tools and functions it provides being free and open source. There are lots of tutorials, examples, and works displayed (which are pretty impressive too) around using it. It's still in active development, so there could be new tools and features in future releases. One of the best things of it being an open source project like this is the collaboration between users and the developers. You get a lot of feedback and support.

http://inkscapers.deviantart.com/
    You can click that link and scroll to the bottom for the gallery. It's pretty cool to see all of those images were created from scratch just by using inkscape. Some of them are hard to believe because they look so realistic.

12. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

If cars were up for download, you bet your ass I would.

13. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

STOP MAKING THIS THREAD GO OFFTOPIC -.- you are causing useless chat among users...

and how is this even related to go to a concert? -.-

Look at it like this: you bought some chocolates.. and your friend or (in this case some1 you dont even know) ask you for some... YOU ARE FREE TO GIVE HIM CHOCOLATE (or not) since you paid for it.. That is sharing.. In this case sharing content

It is only illegal in the USA because they have a capitalist system (a really outdated one, since there are better ways to earn money without having to sell a copy for 600$)

14. Donator Straight Female
    canada

In my opinion, the prices that Adobe puts on their software is pretty steep.
    As long as you are using those programs for educational, non-for-profit purposes, I don't see anything wrong with obtaining them for free.
    University students have enough to pay for- required software shouldn't be one of them.
    That being said, I don't consider it something to brag about either way (bought or pirated).

However, if you're making profit from it, then I believe you should be buying the programs.

15. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

As far as I know, it's illegal in your country too. Just because everyone does it there (maybe outdated statics pointed you guys as the worst in terms of software piracy in latin america) doesn't make it a-ok. Could you please link me to whatever it is that says that piracy's legal?

16. Default Re: Alternative to Adobe Illustrator

There are lot of incredible things created with just Inkscape. One of the things I found particularly well done and real good is this one:

Not bad for something free, and hope I'll be able to create something like that some day. I do understand how most of the process and tools work, but not thoroughly yet.