1. Default Maplestory and a SSD - help

Hello guys, actually I have a Acer Aspire 5742ZG with this parts:
    - Pentium Dual Core P6000 1.86 Ghz, 3MB L3 Cache
    - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 (512 Mb)
    - 4 Gb DDR3 Memory with 1066 Mhz Bus
    - 1 Tb HDD Toshiba

Actually when I play Maplestory it gets lag as hell in some parts. There is a way to improve the gameplay if I change the HDD to a SSD?

Thanks in advance.

2. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

i'm using a hdd and im having no problem. lag can be caused by things other than your computer. such as connection or server.

3. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

When did this problem start?

Going from your specs, your processor doesn't seem to be all that great. A Pentium dual core running 1.86 Ghz is kind of slow. It is actually over 4 years old as well.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/49058/...Cache-1_86-GHz

4. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

Oh, it was since 3 months ago, when Beast Tamer hits GMS. The loading times with this processor is insanely high (2 minutes). I wondered if a SSD is enough to shorten the loading time.

5. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

There are more appealing reasons to get a SSD regardless. If it doesn't end up helping maple, you won't regret the purchase for the many improvements it would make for your system as a whole.

But getting a SSD for a four year old machine is probably just a waste.

6. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

The machine isnt 4 years old, the processor is. I think the machine is about 2 years old. A machine running a 2 year old processor on release is a budget one though.

7. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

Actually if is not buying a SSD, I am thinking to buy a AMD Laptop. Anyone are using AMD?

8. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

yeah. it's not terrible. so far. I did have some problems trying to play Sonic CD though.

9. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

What processor are you using? AMD's A8 or A10?

10. Neon Atom Gay Male
    IGN: XJunkun
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Buccaneer
    Guild: Jabaited
    Alliance: You
    California

I'm using a AMD 10

I have no trouble playing anything so far...

although while trying to install lost saga it said i didn't meet the requirements LOL i didn't even bug to see why

11. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

no.

12. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

Maple is coded poorly or something that makes it prone to minor frame lag on almost any PC.

I think a SSD would only help it to load faster when you're opening the application.

Upgrade your processor and video card. You have enough RAM for Maple.

Close any unnecessary processes using the task manager or start>run: msconfig>startup

Is your HDD under 80% full? If not, make space on it as a full HDD will begin to bog down quickly.

13. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

1. SSD gain specifically in MS is minimal. all it helps out is boot time really. Tested both in Intel RST cache mode(my build using a PNY XLR8 ssd) as well as a system built entirely on a SSD(Samsung 840). Actual gameplay loadtime is barely affected.
    2. Be sure that the CPU at any point is not throttling due to temperature. If it throtles, CPUs WILL downclock themselves to decrease temperatures thus decreasing performance sporadically.
    3. Some features of the game just simply lag. (e.g OX quiz. doesn't matter if computer is top of the line, you still will have some lag going in)
    4. Accept that MS is a terribly codded game full of bugs
    5. If your getting a new laptop, if you are going purely IGPU, get an A10 Steamroller based APU(A10-7400P or A10-7300). The GCN based gpu will have better driver support(as VLIW; amd's older architecture, is gone) as well as being more recent slightly closes the gap between it and intel processors, else if the laptop has a dGPU, an intel U chip(low power consumption) + nvidia mobile dGPU will serve you better if the price is right.

14. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

An SSD is not going to help much at all. Maplestory's data is compressed. The bottleneck you get in load time is actually the uncompression of files and not the reading of them. The processor controls that speed. The hiccups you get when people show up in your map are due to maple uncompressing the proper sprites/animations from the WZ files. First it reads it from disk, then it uncompresses it to memory. The disk read is the shortest part of that operation.

15. Default Re: Maplestory and a SSD - help

So, there is no problem on the Processor? because with the one use it gets laggy.

BTW, the laptop is 3 year old and finding a compatible processor here in Peru is nearly imposible.

So I have 2 options: buying a AMD A10 (current) or Intel Core i5 (3rd) gen with dedicated card.

The reason is because I will use it for working too like programming or Virtual machines.
    ---------
    My HDD is under 50% full.

And it's a Laptop, so the only parts I can only update is the RAM and the Hard Disk Drive.