View Poll Results: If MS got a Classic server, what point in time should it be based upon?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • BETA - 2005

1 2.27%
  • Spring 2006 (Post-Ludibrium)

2 4.55%
  • Fall 2006 (Post-Aquaroad/Omega Sector)

0 0%
  • Spring 2007 (Post-OPQ/Korean Folk Town)

3 6.82%
  • Fall 2007 (Post-NLC, Mansion, LMPQ, Mush Shrine)

3 6.82%
  • Spring 2008 (Post-4TH JOB, Leafre, Showa, Ariant)

5 11.36%
  • Fall 2008 (Post-Pirate, Crimsonwood Keep, Singapore, Magatia)

11 25.00%
  • 2009 (Post-Cygnys Knights, Post-Aran, Time Temple, EXPlosion)

11 25.00%
  • 2010 (POST-BIG BANG, Post-Evan, Post-DB)

1 2.27%
  • Present moment / What do you even need Classic for? DAMN HIPSTERS!

7 15.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Server?

1. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Classic Server?

I don't know about you, but when I saw the Supreme-server that eMS added, this idea came into my mind. Many people seem to love supreme because they feel the new maple has no challenge anymore. If special servers like this are possible, why not have one for the nostalgic veterans of the community? (there's quite a lot).

Of course there would be some dispute about how far back in time it should be, but I guess they could make a vote at nexon.net about it or something. Just for luls, I'll add a vote in this thread.

For the vote it might be useful to see "What Came When?" guide by BBD before voting.

2. Default Re: Classic Server?

I had the same idea! If they can completely change the gameplay of the game, and only have it effect 1 game server, then why not make a "classic server"? (I did not think to call it classic though)

3. Default Re: Classic Server?

I don't think there should be a classic server. It would kill the community.

4. Default Re: Classic Server?

This. Honestly, if you've already advanced far in the game before everything 'got too easy' you're just as likely to not enjoy yourself going back and Supreme is different because it may be more challenging but you're not going by the same mechanics you used before which is why it looks more fun.

5. Default Re: Classic Server?

The thread isn't discussing why Supreme is different/comparable to old maple. It is discussing that because Supreme is possible to exist side by side, then why not an older version of the game as well?

6. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Re: Classic Server?

The way I saw this, there would be 4 groups that this would cause:

1. Those who don't care about Classic server.
    2. Those who actually enjoy playing at Classic server.
    3. Those who go to Classic once in a while just for fun, because they feel nostalgic.
    4. Those who go to Classic and realize that old ms wasn't that much better afterall. These people will no longer go to basilmarket and complain how the new MS is horrible and everything was better before.

#4 is the biggest reason I would like to see this happen. @ResistGreen How would it kill the community? It would put an end to the hipsterism and wouldn't affect others in any way.

7. Default Re: Classic Server?

But that's exactly what I'm saying. Supreme is something that might be released for everyone since it's something new and something challenging and Nexon hopes it'll be another cash milking success, while the old Maple would be rehashed content since those of us who are veterans have already played it before, plus there really isn't much to do there but level up. Sure, you could chill there with your friends, do things like 18-man Zakum runs again and jump on mobs you know are going to OHKO you and that's fun but then again that is all in the past from a corporate point of view, and if there's something I learned, doing the same things with the experience you have now does mean that you don't capture the same feeling.

Then again I easily met just as many plantains during the golden era as I do now, so take that as you will. I'm just going from the perspective that since my mindset on what Maple should be has changed, re-visiting the real past would be pointless to me since it still wouldn't represent the feelings I had in the past and the players that made my experience more positive are all gone without exception.

I'd be in group 1 by the way. At least I now don't pull out cash for 2x cards unless I am determined to pull off a few level ups in one day and boosting my traits plus farming ingredients for things is something I find more fulfilling than fighting from level 45 to 70 at Luster Pixies. Even so, I treasure the memories of those days because that was when I met two very nice Maplers and I was proud of myself when I could eventually two-hit them consistently, and that is something no server will ever return to me because you can't turn back time for a reason.

8. Default Re: Classic Server?

It would split the community in two. It's already starting to show in runescape what the 2007 server did to the game.

But Maple isn't really a game like Runescape though. I honestly don't think many people that quit Maple would come back just for the classic server.

Although if there was going to be a classic server, and I had no say whether there would be or not, then I would pick Late 2008.
    Sure it would be nice to see and play for a bit, but to be honest, I don't know many people that would play for long.

9. Neon Atom Gay Male
    IGN: Sylvananna
    Server: El Nido
    Level: 210
    Job: Mercedes
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Alliance: Muse
    Farm: Farm
    canada

I've had an idea like this for ages, and think it would be great. I voted for the post OPQ/KFT era; when the game was in its prime, IMO. However, I also wouldn't terribly mind post 4th job. I'm not sure how a classic server would 'ruin' a community since its an optional route; you don't have to play there. If anything, a classic server would house a great community, people would actually have to work together to fight bosses and such. Perhaps I have clouded glasses, being one of the people who ran in a successful bossing squad in early maple, but I enjoyed maple then a lot more than I do now. I actually have an unopened box of ITCG cards and NX cards lying around to use incase a classic server (or supreme) ever comes to GMS.

IF a classic server came to maplestory, I would drop everything on the normal servers for it in a heartbeat.

10. Default Re: Classic Server?

@Patt; You might be because I played an Archer for six plus years before giving up for good since I can't afford to even fund one enough to do anything decent, and one of my most vivid memories of Maple to this day is that of my Archer getting kicked out from KPQ after being scolded for noob damage and having swear words thrown at me. This was back in 2005 so it's kind of sad that I'll never forget this even though I got pretty far for a so-deemed noob.

11. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

I still remember being replaced with an assassin in LPQ, despite there already being a Bandit there, because "we need sin" and people forget that archers had the ranged requirement filled just as easily.

But I honestly would love a classic server. Pre-Big Bang, pre-new classes, wouldn't mind if professions stayed but that's the only bit of new content I care about. I don't even care if the revamps weren't included (only because I still really miss pre-revamp pirates) but I'm not going to actually wish that because I know the majority feels differently about that and that'd be a selfish wish anyway. I really just miss the times where people worked together for all boss runs and weren't dependent on cubes and NX for power. Not to mention the feel of being important as an Explorer class.

12. Default Re: Classic Server?

That's why I like Root Abyss because it has some new mechanics while also making fighting as a party a lot more vital than at other bosses (Except for the death count, I'd say). Then again, unlike my habitual ritual of replaying my favourite RPGs at least once a year the experience I got playing the old Maple Story is strong enough that I can still recount the victories I had and yet I know I'd just feel that experience completely cheapened if I tried to go back to the days that live only in our minds instead of making a new path for myself with the options that lie ahead of me while creating new memories.

It'd be like saying, why treasure the experiences you have when you can just go back? I will always view such a server as a shadow of how things used to be and I don't want to replace the memories I have now of the bright and dark moments of my old Archer's career.

13. Mercury Straight Male
    IGN: StacknStick
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Phantom
    Guild: Exist
    Alliance: DreamHome
    Farm: ButcherDen
    russia

I'd pineapple around in it like I would in a private server, then eventually quit and only come back to pineapple with it more when I'd have nothing to do. Once you reach a certain point in that server you will quit, it's no longer a game when there's no updates and you have beaten everything to the point of extinction, it's a glorified chat. Supreme is better because there's updates to it, there's always something to aim for even when you've reached your highest goal; which is pretty much how the normal servers are, with the exception of a bigger feeling of accomplishment. Fall '08 would take my vote, CWK was still awesome, pirates had their boats and dragon dancing, and NLC pots made most bosses accessible.

14. Default Re: Classic Server?

If only for this, I support the idea.

So sick of everyone claiming "Old Maplestory was better," when really...it was far worse except for the cash whoreness of the game now, and aliens/jesters/fked up LHC/Stronghold (GMS Only for this part though). Everything else is better.

Honestly, if Potential was never added to the game we'd all be a lot better off. I would be ecstatic for a Potential-less server, but that will never happen because Nexon can't make any money(in comparison) off of it.

15. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

People need to move on. Hope for some better content in the future by all means, but the "Maple Isn't what it used to be" crap is very annoying. The game has to evolve to stay alive.

How much content would there really be in such a world? If people are already sick to death of doing the same content over and over, it would be the exact same damn thing, just harder and with even less content to do. It would be there simply for hipster pimentos to talk and henehoe, and it isn't worth the time, effort or money for Nexon to make such a thing when they can make content for the rest of us. If they want to do nothing but sit around and talk all day in Maple, just go to henesys or ardentmill on channel 1.
    They don't need a specific server for it.

Surpreme Server seems like a damn good alternative. make the game a challenge again, but without restricting content.

16. Default Re: Classic Server?

This idea has been thrown around a lot since big bang. I'd love it for a while but I think i would find myself getting bored eventually. Considering this would freeze the game at a specific version with no updates as those will kill it's entire purpose.

As for your poll. I'd say 08 was the best year for Maplestory, Just after 4th job, til around 09 maybe?

17. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

This pretty much sums it up for me. Everyone would have a different opinion of when "old" maple should be cut off and in the end no one would be happy. I like medieval combat as much as the next person, but I'm sure as hell not going to wish myself back into the Dark Ages to relive the good old days.

I seriously doubt that having an old maple server would generate enough new revenue to offset the cost of set-up and maintaining the server.

18. Default Re: Classic Server?

I think it'd be nice if we could start off probably with pirates released, around that age, and if the server got popular it would be updated but in a different direction than current maple. There are some things in current maple that are fantastic, like crafting it's a lot better than alchemy was. If a "classic server" were started and just updated to bring new content but on that server's "level" I think it'd be very successful. It'd please a lot of the old timers that want that "old maple" back but still be able to play it. That is, if they could actually update it differently and not have it end up to be this massive pomegranate it is now.

19. Default Re: Classic Server?

Then it would no longer be a classic server. How would one define "content on that server's level" when the whole point is that it is supposed to be static and cater to people who want to experience the old Maple Story?

Also, I will get mad if they did this instead of making the current Maple Story better because I'm sure the employees and development team are enthusiastic to work on two servers, one of which will bring no money and is more boring to them.

20. Default Re: Classic Server?

Personally I like how Jagex is handling a similar "classic server" situation with RuneScape: