1. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Default Maple Causing random BSOD (EagleXNT.sys)

This has started happening like crazy since last week (never happened before then). I'm either training or in FM, then randomly maple freezes for about 10 seconds, then I get a BSOD indicating that EagleXNT.sys is the culprit, which makes no sense to me. I've read that this file is related to ahnlab hackshield or something like that but I haven't found any clear cut ways to solve the problem I'm having. If anyone has ideas, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2012-01-10 at 01:38 PM.

2. Default

Well of course this could be maple itself, but BSOD are caused by memory corruption, which can also be caused due to malfunctioning RAM.

How old is your PC atm?

3. Default

find the EagleXNT.sys and look for recent changes(can be seen in explorer[last changed]).
    if there's a change recorded since the day it started happening, you might want to swap it out, by getting the .sys from a person you know/trust.

other than that, Devil said what seems most logical.

4. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

@Devil: My PC is about 5 years old, which is probably like dinosaur age lol. Running on Pentium 4, 1 gig of RAM, and it heats up pretty quickly; which is why I never run 2 memory-hogging programs at once (i.e. it overheats sometimes when running maple and firefox at the same time, F7). I can gather specs and post them here later (out-of-town at the moment so I can't provide them right now :[). I guess I need a new computer anyway, but I've been getting by with what I have for a long time now, so I don't know why this started happening all of a sudden.

@Imitazion: Thanks, I'll try that.
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2012-01-10 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo fix

5. Default

Well the average life span of RAM is about 3 years (sometimes longer, sometimes shorter) and normally the memory allocation problems will be fixed by windows itself, except for when the memory addresses data that can't be corrected (read: kernel core, etc), then a BSOD might occur.

What you can do is (if you know how this works) is increase the voltage of your RAM a bit via the BIOS (like + 0.1 ~ +0.3 volts), this might be a temporary fix, but malfunctioning RAM will never fix itself. ;)

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

I've gotten that particular BSOD a couple of times. It says something about removing a driver if I remember correctly. Both times it didn't reappear after rebooting, so I gave it no particular mind.
    However, it would suggest that OP's problem isn't a case of a corrupt file or weak RAM. There is something specific to this Eagle module that goes boom under certain circumstances. Good luck finding it.

7. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

@Devil: I have no idea how to do this increase voltage -yet- but I'm guessing it involves tinkering with the registry.

@SaptaZapta: After some googling, I've gathered that I gotta update my drivers, although I have yet to find concrete evidence that this fixes the problem of other players with the same issue (back in August/September of '11, many players had a similar issue where they would DC from PvP in Maple and get a BSOD citing EagleXnt.sys as the reason). On to figuring out how to do that properly to hopefully fix it. I'll post my results here.

8. Default

No, the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) is the thing you see when you powered up your pc like 3 seconds, see it like a master OS for initializing your hardware. But if you've never been there, don't start now. ;)

Other than that you can clean your whole system with CCleaner and Driver Sweeper.

Just make sure you have all new drivers for your hardware already downloaded to your system before you start those.