Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Hello =)

I'm hoping someone can help me get maple going on a very old laptop. I bought this machine many years ago second hand and usually dig it out whenever I come back to games like Ragnarok Online (no longer needed due to sandboxie), and Maplestory so I can leave a vendor up - this isn't for "playing" the game. It was also a very last "oh pomegranate" resort for browser capabilities for school.

Having said that, it's a HP dv-5000 running XP SP3, with a AMD 64 ML-37 Processor at 1.99 GHz, and 512 mbs of ram, Radeon Xpress 200, and this harddrive.

Pretty weak :D

I usually come back to maple a few times a year, last two times before Tempest was Ascension and Chaos patches. During both those patches this laptop ran decently enough for what we needed. I even did some PQs on it for the hell of it when we (my boyfriend and I) needed an extra person.

Since coming back this patch there seems to be an issue though.

Obviously, the game as gotten bigger so we moved it to an extra external harddrive we had laying around (Toshiba V63700-E 320g - doesn't have it's on power supply). We always used eBooster and a flash drive with it, so kept that the same but moved it from a 2gig to an 8gig. Also using Gamebooster.

The game loads up just fine, with minimal 1 second freezing until I enter my pin. After that it will try to load but just stall on a black screen. When my screensaver finally kicks in after 10 mins, I'll close it down and start over.

If I'm very persistent with this for a few hours it will usually catch the game, but kick me back out onto the log in screen (due to the loggin timing out). This is when I know I'm golden - logging right back in will load the game every single time. From here I can switch characters, maps, leave a shop running for the next 24 hours, even change accounts - as long as I don't EXIT the game completely. Exiting the game starts the whole process all over again.

Because of this I'm thinking this is some kind of cache issue? I'm only somewhat intermediate as far as computers go. I know what to look for when buying a gaming machine, and can even put one together. But I don't know enough to pinpoint exactly what causes something like this or what to tweak.

Our main computers are pretty beastly, but from what I understand you can't sandbox or virtual box maple to dual client it. I would really rather not buy a new machine just to leave a vendor up either the few times a year I play Maple.

Is there anything else I could play around with? I would love if someone could explain exactly whats going on here - besides "it's old, throw it away". I'm determined! Thanks!

Forgot to mention. First time I successfully got in I muted all sound, put all settings on low and windowed it. So that's all done already.

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

You certainly can VM for running two clients. You just need to edit the registry so that you video card isn't labeled as virtual.

3. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Didn't realize it was possible. I googled around earlier and read that it no longer worked.

I dug a bit further just now thanks to your comment and found this: http://www.basilmarket.com/forum/210...ns_inside.html

This is gonna take some reading =x

The last time we played around with virtual box (oracle) it was extremely laggy - same external mentioned above. I think we even managed to corrupt a bit of the memory XD Was for school assignments installing as bunch of different OS's.

Should a 7200rpm external with its own power supply clear that up? Or are VMs just laggy in general?

Thanks!

4. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Wow. That computer is EXTREMELY old, no wonder it freezes up!

I had a machine similar to that back when I first started playing MS back in 05, but times have changed and so have game requirements.

As you can see, they suggest a dual core processor, and at least 1GB of RAM to run the game, and a dedicated graphics card. Pixel Shader 2.0 is also requested, but not needed.

Your processor is a Turion (something you should have mentioned), and is only kicking out 2GHz as it is a single core. There are Pentium 4 processors that can give 2.4 GHz.

tl;dr Your machine is too old. Also running MS from a flash drive seems nigh impossible now, something changed within the past few years that removed this functionality.

5. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

^^ I'm not playing maple from a flash drive. I'm boosting memory from it. Maple is on my external harddrive.

6. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Ah, you're using readyboost?

Regardless, my reasoning stands.

7. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Think I'm gonna break down and buy a netbook or something for $100.. Would be good to have a better back up for school anyways.

Now I gotta figure out the cheapest model I can get away with. Just need it to set up my merchant 12hours/day.

8. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Your computer specs is perfectly fine to run maple. What I would suggest is to reinstall Windows XP and don't put your maple on an external, have it on your internal C drive.

@Zelkova AMD and Intel processors have totally different architectures, you can't compare just the difference in frequency between them.

9. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Thanks so much for replying <333 Just an update of what I tinkered with last night.. I had a very old version of gamebooster installed from the last few times I had played maple. This was the version I had successfully gotten maple to run with about 4-5 times over the past week or so off the external harddrive.

I haven't gotten it to load at all since they put in the AB/root abyss patch (300mbs).

So a few things I did:
    I uninstalled the old 1Obit version of gamebooster and installed Razer's new version.
    From there I tried moving the maple folder from the external to the internal leaving me with around 6 gigs free on the internal. Trying to load maple this way though was extremely slow. Usually on the external I can boot to character select pretty fast. On the internal it was having issues just loading the game at all. I think the internal harddrive might just be too slow? I don't think it was the original harddrive the computer shipped with, whoever I bought it from switched it out I believe.

So I plugged the external back in with the new gamebooster. Game loads VERY fast now, but is still catching a black screen after character select. I defragged maple as well, but besides loading faster I still haven't had a successful map load in free market where my character is parked.

I might borrow my boyfriends very good 7200rpm/own power supply external for the day and see if that works. If so I can get another one for cheap.

If that fails I'll try what you said about reinstalling XP. I think I can get a free copy from my school.

I'll report back to you ^_^

10. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

I was just trying to convey the point that their CPU is quite old, and MS recommends at the very least a P4 and they're kicking around a 2ghz mobile build.

11. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Her CPU would qualify as a P4 equivalent. AMD equivalents to a P4 would always run at a slower frequency and still be "faster" due to different architectures. I just find it misleading to use frequency as a measurement of efficiency lol.

@voCupcakeov try moving some things from you C drive to your external, as much as you can (music, movies, photos) delete things you don't need. Btw, how big if your C drive? After you do that, do a complete defrag using defraggler. Link here: http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

12. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

That computer will not run MS efficiently. MS may be a 2D game but that does not mean it will run on a dinosaur like that. There's nothing you can do. Throw it away and get something better or keep it and play MS terribly.

13. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

http://www.getpartsonline.com/ic25n020atcs04-0.html <- That is the internal
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822178117 <- This is the external I tried it on last night.

Like I said, I'm pretty sure whoever I bought it from did a switcharoo on the original harddrive. I remember being somewhat pissed, but it was so cheap and worked at the time that I just let it go.

I would buy it better internal and some proper physical ram if I knew it would work afterwards >.<

After moving the game to the internal I have ~6gigs free on it.

14. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

If you're willing to spend about $10-$15, you could upgrade the RAM on the laptop to 2GB. That should allow it to idle without causing any issues. You don't need much processing power for MS - the biggest issue is the huge amount of sprite preloading that it has to do. Your total lack of RAM forces it to eat into the hard drive's page file, which makes loading very slow, which makes MS think you've timed out.

Edit: Never mind, I am bad at reading and missed that you were boosting memory from a flash drive.

15. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Didn't get a chance to play with it yesterday. I'm gonna see what type of RAM I need for it today to see if I can find some for really cheap. Worth a shot =)

The flash drive or USB port might simply be to slow for it. I've noticed the flash drive itself gets very very hot.

16. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

That's a good theory.

17. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Do you think that laptop even has USB 2.0?

18. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

It should.

19. Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

Can't believe DDR ram is so expensive. Gonna have to snipe some on eBay sometime this week.

20. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Need help from someone very techie. Help me run maple on my potato.

ddr3 ram is cheap(so cheap a manufacturing plant had to shut down), unless you are looking for old ddr or ddr2 ram then really not sure if its worth the price