Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Brand new to LoL

So a few friends of mine have been bugging the hell out of me for the last few months to play LoL. I finally caved last night and DL-ed it, played the tutorial.

Played 2 games with a couple of guildies today but i'm still pretty bad at it. I know I just started out, and I don't expect to be a pro at it right off the bat, but I was hoping for some tips from some of the more seasoned players out there.

(I was bent on hating the game at first, but now that i've tried it, it's pretty good! )

I play on the NA servers, even tho I live in the UK(probably due to my being up untill 3am usually anyways).
    My IGN is SufiKitty if anyone wants to add me.

2. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Play coop vs ai for a while until you get a feel for which champions you like and don't like, and until you know the general skills of all the champions.

Then hop into normals and expect to get raged at.

Don't buy runes until you can buy the 3rd tier ones at level 21.

3. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Some general tips:
    Don't start playing PvP matches for a while, play versus bots.
    Avoid champions such as Orianna, Anivia, Olaf, Shaco, Lee Sin, Vayne, Kog'Maw, and... oh hell. Too many champs you shouldn't play. Here are ones you should potentially start off with: Ryze, Ashe, Jax, Warwick, Garen, Mundo, Sivir, Kayle, GP, and Nunu. They're cheap and good and fairly easy. For Ryze, you've got spell combos that are really good to spam during a fight. You might want to turn smart casting on though or you'll break your mouse. qwqeqrqwqeq is better for a running target, qeqwqrqeqwq gives you more damage. It's not something you should be super worried about though, just spam your q every time it's off cooldown and press your other spells when q is on cooldown.
    Don't worry about other players. They'll be pimentos and call you pomegranate for being new, a lot of them are people who got banned on their main accounts and have made new accounts to stomp new players. You should be rid of them by level 10 or so.
    Don't play Teemo. Don't fall for his tricks either. He's really strong against new players because of his kit.
    Don't try to jungle until you're at least level 20.

4. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Wrong. Buy tier 1 runes, then replace them with tier 3 ones at 21.

5. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

I think playing too many bot games is a bad thing. Eventually you want that real game experience since bots can only help you so much. Play enough so you get the hang of the game then start diving into real games and of course, be prepared to get yelled at but at least you're improving!

6. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Play bot games till lv 10. Play only PVP after.

Do not buy any runes till you have at least enough to buy one to one 1/2 pages for when you hit lv 30. I didn't buy a single rune till lv 30 and still enjoyed the game. Play any champion you want, though there are some champions that are easier than others. It all depends on what you like to play. Learning teamwork and learning how to play with others is another key factor here as well.

7. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

the golden rule:
    Play with friends like all the time. Strangers are plantains and will ruin any fun you have with LoL until playing feels like some kind of chore you will quickly come to despise.

8. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Map awareness, risk assessment, and teamwork are the most important skills in league imo

9. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Do not jump into advanced champions without trying out PVP at all. People tend to expect more when you use non-newbie friendly champions.

10. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

*If you want to maximize your IP, don't buy runes until level 21.

*If you want to have a slight advantage over other newbies, follow what Ray says.

11. Mercury Straight Male
    IGN: MagiRico
    Server: LoL NA
    Job: Jungle/Top/Supp
    Guild: Deny
    Alliance: Eternal
    Kansas

Learn which lanes are which, and what champions generally go to each lane.

Learn when to push and not to push lanes. You shouldn't be autoattacking/spamming spells on creeps, this causes you to literally push the enemy up to the tower. While this may sound good, it's still rather easy to last hit minions under turrent fire especially after the new updates. This also reduces your killing potential and greatly increases your opponents killing potential because you'll either

1. Get ganked
    2. If you find yourself low, you have quite the walk before you'll be able to be safe from your enemy. More experienced players will also often have no issues tower diving you to secure a kill, so it's generally best to avoid the situation all together.

Also, there's a difference between killing creeps(pushing) and last hitting. When you land the killing blow on a creep, you will receive gold. you want to try to wait until you can kill to creep in one hit to attack it(you get the last hit, that's why it's called last hitting) this allows you to get adequate farm and keep pushing to a minimum

12. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Thank you all for your tips. And thanks to those who added me too.
    So far I've had a few games with Ashe, I think I like more ranged players for the time being rather than melee.
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a more concise guide, especially regarding runes and masteries?

13. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

solomid.net, check out the Approved/Featured guides.

14. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Watching streams and competitive play (LCS: http://na.lolesports.com/) can help you become much better at the game.

15. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

There are few champions with incredibly in depth guides on everything about them: Singed, Rumble, and Poppy are the main ones I can think of. Lolking .net just added a guides section, so you can always check there for guides.

16. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Not before you understand the basics.

17. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

I remember i started watching a stream a friend linked me like 1 week into playing.

'what champion is this'
    'why is he not in a lane'
    'does that hand summoner effect champions? ima run it on ashe'

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Never try to take on more than one Champion by yourself. Actually, never try to fight another enemy Champion unless someone is backing you up or the enemy Champion has no chance of victory. You'll usually end up becoming bait and then get gang raped by 3-5 Champions out of nowhere.

19. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

Yeah, this has happened to me so many times, you would think I'd have learnt my lesson by now.

20. Default Re: Brand new to LoL

The ignore button can be your best friend some games. Heck, I've muted my whole team because they kept arguing with each other, and then started up random conversations with the other team while playing before.