Thread: Moving Out

1. Default Moving Out

So I'm going to be moving out of my parent's house within the next 2 months (Because they decided they're sick of me being around and just said get out), And quite frankly this is a new experience for me. I've never had a place of my own (Not entirely true, I did live at a low-income housing complex a while ago when my parent threw me out and I was working a dead-end job). But Now im not working a dead-end job and I think I make enough money to live on my own. I just have this massive fear complex that if I fail at this, Im going to have to go back to being homeless (Yes, I've been homeless before, It sucks. Alot) It's honestly something i'd rather not repeat ever. I'm trying to take as many precautions as possible, But I dont know if I can do it. I've never rented before so I dont have any rental history. I dont have any form of credit score (I checked, theres none.) So I dont know what to expect when I start looking for apartments. For those of you who live on your own, How did you manage to do it without having any rental history or credit?

I have a room-mate in mind, But the problem is he doesnt exactly have the best job and he wouldn't be able to contribute much until he finds a better job. I really want to help him because I know he needs to get out of his current house because his dad's an absolute pineappleing idiot, But will I be making a mistake by trusting him to live with me even though I will be paying for most of the rent/utilites until he gets a better job?

<Changed my font for this post becuase its hard to read a large topic in my regular font>
    Last edited by Untradeable; 2012-05-22 at 03:39 PM. Reason: fix'd

2. Default Re: Moving Out

And why are you in such a rush to move out, especially with such an unstable income?

3. Default Re: Moving Out

Because my parents are sick of having me in the house and gave me until mid july to move out. Sorry, should have specified that.

4. Default Re: Moving Out

Ugh I just had a HUGE blow out with my parents friends about this. I still live with my parents, my gf does too, but her's is by choice, mine is because I know when it's stupid. They kept going on and on how I'm dependent on them. I had to explain to them basically that this isnt the 1970's anymore. Then they tried to throw their son into my face who's moving out to some doorm while working full time at subway until he gets some metal sheering oppurtunity. Opinion quickly changed when I threw my salary in their face.

As for your answer, ey, I can't really add anything substantial besides do not put your name under utility responsibility. That will ASS fu`ck you.

5. Default Re: Moving Out

Why Is this? Whose name should it go under then, the landlord's?

6. Default Re: Moving Out

Hopefully on either, you try not to get your name on it because the responsibility falls onto you, so if your budy shorts you, you pay out of pocket or utility makes a note of you

7. Default Re: Moving Out

Utilities is a double edged sword though. My brother lived with a so called 'friend' who had the utilities under his name, and when he was out of town for the weekend this 'friend' moved out and took the electricity/internet/water with him.

8. Helium Atom Straight Female
    IGN: Deviatoric
    Server: El Nido
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: Princess
    Alliance: Twerk
    Wisconsin

Default Re: Moving Out

I would recommend, if possible, do not let him put his name on the lease. I've had bad experiences with that. <_<; If his name is on the lease it becomes much more difficult/impossible to get rid of him if it turns out he's just going to freeload off of you. Subleasing might be a good option for that? But I'm not entirely sure how that process works.

9. Default Re: Moving Out

You should have around 2 ish months rent + utilities before you move out. And if you can't have your friend and you split the bill evenly, I suggest finding a 3rd roommate. Living in tiny CAL housing for a while, it's more advantageous cost-wise to share the apartment with more people. However, you should probably find people you know to an extent. If you do happen across randoms, make sure they sign a contract to all the terms of your apartment. This at least gives you some legal means of getting your money back if they jump ship (granted you can track them down).

Signing on the lease means you can potentially get your money back because it's a binding document (like a contract). If you sub lease, still give them a document saying something along the lines of "I will pay X amount of money for rent per month and X amount for utilities." If anything, ask the landlord to draft something for you. Legal binding contract is better than word of mouth purely because there can be a chance for pay back versus never at all.

For my apartment, I take care of everything and trust people to pay me back (it's signed on the contract). Though I've never had to deal with randoms.

At least you have a job. If you didn't have one, I would have advised you to stay at a friend's place or a relative's until you could stabilize your income.

10. Default Re: Moving Out

Yeah living with people you know and at least mostly trust really helps. When I moved out from my parent's place I moved to a place where knew and trusted the people I'd be living with, and it really made the transition of moving out for the first time a lot smoother. I didn't have any real good "stats" either, except a decent credit score, but I had moved in and sublet a room from somebody else for a while, before being part of the actual house contract itself, so I managed to convince the landlord that I was "obviously responsible enough" to not need a co-signer (aka the person who gets to pay if you don't). Somebody who moved in here a year after got screwed over by a past roommate in the same way that people are talking about in this thread. Same goes for my sister actually. Really the only good precaution I can think of after listening to their stories are:

Make sure to have it all in paper, have your ducks in a row.

If you do end up being the name on the utilities, or anything significant really, things like rent if your house is supposed to pay one large sum (everybody pays 300, but the rent is really just a flat 900 and you all technically 'chip in'), write up a contract and have everybody sign it. Doesn't have to be all official-like, just something that says "you agree to pay X dollars on rent and Y on utilities from date# to date#, etc etc". Your landlords may actually be good help with writing that, if they're helpful people. Even if you're with friends, keep paper around. My sister actually got screwed over by her best friend from high school, but wasn't required to pay the hundreds of dollars the friend owed, because of all the paper.
    Even if all it outlines is "I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR SHARE YOU", it could save your butt.

11. Default Re: Moving Out

what is this moving out you speak of ?

12. Heavily armored Humvee
    IGN: TheSovereignBowi
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: The League
    Guild: Of Draven

Default Re: Moving Out

BRO! Brobrobro. BRO. Listen. Are you listening, brah? I move out good-and-proper to another city on Friday. Start my big-boy job on Monday. We can compare notes. Like pasty schoolgirls at a slumber party. WE'LL HAVE SO MUCH FUN NOT-ACTUALLY-TOGETHER!

I've got a one-bedroom lined up and haven't had any problems despite having no credit history. The apartment company was fine with just my employment offer letter (granted, entry level electrical engineering jobs are relatively cushy). When I called to arrange for internet, the guy said he'd need to do a mediocre credit check since pomegranatety credit means you get an additional install fee and have to pay the first month up front. Then he called back and said I was fine and didn't need the fees. It's my understanding that zero credit history is better than pomegranate for credit history. If your history for the low-income housing was good and you have a reference for that I think you'll be fine. On the other hand, you may need a cosigner without any credit history. That might be tough if you and your parents aren't on civil terms.

So yeah, references plus proof of employment (pay stubs if you've got 'em)

Slightly related:
    Did a wee bit of furniture shopping the other day and had an odd realization that I just can't trust furniture I can't move myself. Four years of moving in and out of dorms and being able to fit everything in a minivan and my Corolla has done some odd things to me. Queen size bed? Holy pomegranate. I don't think I can handle that kind of responsibility.