Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Spoiler

Text Source

I found this on reddit and just wanted to share.
    Sorry for making 2 current event threads but they both seemed important.

2. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Hell yeah.
    One step closer to gay-mirrage-legit.
    People be proud, be LGBT.

3. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Dam straight. Another reason why I like Obama.

4. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Dohohohoho.

@Rick ???

5. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Not new;

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/w...gaylesproc.htm

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...nder-pride-mon
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...bt-pride-month
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-...er-pride-month

6. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Same place the last time it was asked; every month because you've never been told it's shameful to be straight, hunted or persecuted before it, killed for it.

Just like White Person month is every month.

7. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

I agree with the first part, but you lost me on the second. Every white male on the planet is told they are a horrible, racist, sexist pile of garbage every day of their lives, nowadays.

8. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

That's kinda rude to deny me of a straight pride month because I've never made fun of, beat up, or killed a gay person.

I just wanna be equal!

9. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

When you're considered the target state for equality you'd have to take a down grade to be equal.

Yet they still make more and get almost every benefit, excluding the ones where reverse racism, sorry, 'affirmative action', hand out regardless of merit.

Meritocracy people. Anything less is bigotry (or favortism, or nepotism, or something equally craptastic).

10. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

I do not want a gay pride month. Being gay is nothing to be proud of. It is not an achievement, it should not define you, you are a regular person just like everyone else. Being gay does not make you any more special than being blonde or left handed or whatever does. A gay pride month will do little more than make everyone roll their eyes at yet another perceived attempt to force homosexuality on America. It's bad enough there have to be people parading around main streets in their rainbow coloured underwear every so often but now there's this?

11. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Do you even have an inkling where it came from or how long it's been in effect? Hint: Go lookup the stonewall riots.
    This is nothing more than a president acknowledging it officially to garner attention. June has been Gay Pride for longer than I've been out.

Do not confuse "Pride" with Hubris. This is the Self Esteem side of pride. This is "It's not something to be shamed of". This is Be Proud to Be You.

12. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

How long it's been in effect is irrelevant. Something will only gain reaction when people become aware of it.

13. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

Most American's are aware. You're reacting out of sheer kiwidom to something most of us have had our entire lives and don't really consider that big a deal any more than Black History month.

This is literally the equivalent of a president coming and declaring Halloween is real this year. Or MLK day to use a more recent holiday.

14. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

When the president of the United States says something, the world reports it. Chances are he's just made a whole lot people more aware.

All that aside, I still don't agree with there being this month, just the same as not agreeing with black history month or even Maori language week in my country.

15. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

As he's done it every year for his term, probably not.

Like it or not, it is what it is.

16. Won't Be Coming Back Straight Male

IGN: Promothian
    Server: Siel
    Job: Spiritmaster
    Guild: Siel_Seals
    Alliance: Aion
    suriname

Welp good to know, my bday is in june :-) even if I'm not gay I can piss homophobes off with it.

17. Default Re: Obama declares June 2012 as LGBT Pride month.

.77:1.00 isn't real. Studies have been done saying that women prefer work schedule flexibility for family time over less flexible but better paying jobs; men happen to take those jobs a lot more often, so their "pay average" goes up.

And I can't make a comment on the benefits aspect because I have done zero research on that; keep in mind though, upper executives have a LOT less free time in many cases so they fall under the "less flexibility" category, and they definitely have the best benefits.

18. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

I kinda agree with @Rick that being gay (or lesbian, bisexual or transgender, thats what 'awareness' is for, like most things, sexuality and gender isn't black and white) isn't special. We don't need a month dedicated to us to make us feel special.

But i think that anything it can do to change some peoples mind, or make people more aware, or more accepting (or tolerant) of being different is good.
    There is still a lot of hatred and stupidity out there for the LGBT community. Blonde people and left handed people don't need a month dedicated to them because they aren't hated, you don't see pickets with signs saying "God hates left-handers" or "Blondes burn in hell".

and i agree that the Gay Pride parade is the stupidest thing ever. It's that flamboyant overly sexualised view of the LGBT community which causes us so much problems i think.