1. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

Greetings. I remember when Arans first came out (and the subsequent super database leak and mass character hackings) there was a program that allowed you to hold down a button on a controller instead of having to constantly hit the attack button over and over and over and over and ... etc. I also remember this program was discussed on multiple forums and it was deemed relatively safe. A lot of people, including myself, used this program to play Arans. While I only used it to play my Aran until 70 for the ring, I remember buying a Wireless XBox 360 controller receiver for my wife's Aran.

I also remember a few months later, Nexon implemented their own joystick thing, and somehow killed the third party programs that allowed you to use your Aran by holding down the attack button and forced you to preess the button 3457923458 times to attack. Now that Demon Slayer has been released, is there any way to save my poor fingers from the threat of carpal tunnel syndrome? Now that my wife is done with her DB and soon with her Mercedes, she might consider her Aran or her Demon Slayer. But I don't want her to hurt herself with the constant mashing of the attack key.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what can be done in this scenario? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

Click slower.

3. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

How the hell do people get carpal tunnel from playing Aran or DS?

4. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

This.

People still use Xpadder or whatever else out there for controllers, I don't see whats the big deal. Unless you play a DS and end up being unable to glide.

5. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

They only attack so fast, just press the button in time with the actual attacks that happen on-screen.
    Takes some getting used to if you're used to mashing the attack keys, but yeah.

Maybe practice on a slow character, like Cannoneer?

6. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

I was thinking more along the lines of at SH where youre attacking pretty much non stop for the duration of your 2x card. Every DS i partied with say that their finger hurts after playing with us for 4 hours, and they have to keep attacking or else they might die (no pet and the healing skill from attacking with DS)

I kinda enjoyed playing DS for the first few says when I was getting it to 70 for the link skill, but the constant hitting the same button to attack, as opposed to being able to hold the button down, is very annoying.

7. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

Takes a lot of APM.

8. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

they need more starcraft!

9. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

If they're getting carpal tunnel from this, their puny wrists would snap trying to play Starcraft.

10. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

I haven't had any issues but I also lay out my keyboard for comfort.

On the Aran, it basically goes: put left hand on keyboard, fingers comfortably spread out. Assign attack, jump, loot to the 3 keys the first 3 fingers land on (happens to be FYJ).

That's actually pretty much it, Arans don't need any other keys assigned except buffs, and you don't have to spam those so they don't need to be comfortable. I have my pinky for two of them, and the others go on ins/home/pgup where my right hand can deal with them.

I get more uncomfortable with classes that have 8-10 skills that are all used, and need keys. Outlaw comes to mind.

11. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Or more WoW. I have my "Attack" button set to the same button I spam the most in WoW, so I'm unaffected when playing a DS / Aran.

12. Euro Minicar Straight Male
    IGN: ZekkenAdele
    Server: Scania
    Level: 246
    Job: Adele
    Guild: DarkLily
    Alliance: Arcane
    Farm: HarvestxMoon
    usa

I been spamming the X button since dec 10 2009 no broken fingers yet!

13. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

These people are probably spamming the Ctrl key with their pinkie fingers, of course you'll have problems then.

14. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Aran is far from the most repetitive class...

15. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

As I always do, set your attack key to Shift so you dont have to twist your hand in a circle to hit it. And stop spamming it, you just need to hit it once every few seconds. For me I either use my pinkie for shift or my ring finger, so... whatever floats your boat. Left hand, by the way.

16. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

See that's what's wrong. Your pinkie/ring fingers are not made to sustain heavy effort. Place your skills so the most work is done by your index/middle fingers or even your thumb.

17. Default Re: Aran and DS and carpal tunnel: Can it be avoided?

Ok, I guess I'm the only idiot who thought this was a bad thing then. I'm sorry to have wasted eeryone's time. Have a nice day.