Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default CO and WA Legalize Recreational Marijuana

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2079899.html

Thoughts?

Edit: Both Colorado and Washington are the first two states to legalize recreational marijuana.

Washington:
    http://mynorthwest.com/11/2121970/Wa...ized-marijuana
    Last edited by CrazyForDex; 2012-11-08 at 12:42 AM. Reason: clarity

2. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Good sh`it.

I still can't believe other states don't want to make money off marijuana, it's like free money.

3. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    usa

Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Yea I think it is really exciting.

Second term President in office and now a state with legal pot. Who knows where this will go?

4. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Saw it coming...

5. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Wish NV would get it legalized. I've been looking at growing it since I have family in CO, WA, OR and CA. But really, until the federal penalties are lifted, the states walk a fine line.

6. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    usa

Holy s'hit. Apparently Washington has legalized recreational use as well.

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2121970/Wa...ized-marijuana

This is crazy.

7. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

So is it 18+ or 21+? Who controls the production? Big Tobacco? And how does this work with getting the economy back together?

8. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Can they tax sales when it's Federally illegal? Seems like a fine line...

9. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

They can tax it and regulate it to make money when it's legal. This would save so much time for everyone. People who already smoke pot already do it, why waste time and money prosecuting these people when you can tax it, make it legal and then make money off it for the public interest? That way you can set a legal age to purchase it like tobacco and let criminalization dwindle.

10. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

You don't need to convince me; I agree. So basically they're just preparing for if (when ) Congress legalizes it.

11. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

It's 21 most likely.
    Somewhat off-topic : Hopefully they will legalize it in New Jersey.

12. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Damnit Iowa... hook me up already!

13. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

This. From a purely economical standpoint, they could fix a LARGE chunk of our debt by simply taxing this one substance. I don't approve of using it, but again, not everything is about me; this country is in a hole, and the only way to climb out of that hole is with tons of hard cash.

14. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

There's a few problems with it though. Although its free money, it's extremely exaggerated. I haven't taken the time to read the specifics but from the comments I'm reading it seems to not be as strict as, let's say california. I mean to be quite frank, the quality of weed would plummit, dealers would still exist to avoid taxes, and the fact their weed will probably be higher quality.

A lot of people refer to the alcohol "error" (that was actually pretty successful) made, but I think, note, think, that alcohol is a lot harder to merchandise than weed.

15. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Genetically engineered and Mendelian-prodded variants of marijuana with very high percentages of THC already exists in commercial farms. Corporations already make money off the stuff in this and other countries, this law simply allows for better distribution of an already existing product. I, also, don't know the specifics, but rest-assured, you don't need to worry about quality, science is involved and has been for some time.

16. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Rule of thumb is anything mass produced typically comes out in worse quality. I'm not for or against weed, it's not part of my lifestyle, it won't be, legal or not.

17. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Most people don't bother going to the "black market" to buy things that can be purchased in an ordinary grocery store, whether to avoid taxes or to get special quality. Even the small boutique wineries or chocolatiers or whatever have their licenses and pay their taxes.
    I don't really see why it would be any different for weed.

18. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Depends how much and how hard it is to get a license, age limitations, and price. Otherwise the blackmarket for moonshine wouldn't exist.

19. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    usa

The fact is that there are more job possibilities to be created with the legalization of marijuana than that of alcohol. Taxes and whatnot aside, alcohol distribution is limited to just the normal company structure of which there is really only one type which is the production and sales of their product. Marijuana on the other hand has dozens more applications than alcohol does ranging from hemp to cannabutter and companies can emerge essentially overnight to overtake those markets so that they can grab premium market share. Marijuana is also more accessible due to ease and volume of production as well as being SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, allowing those companies to make money much more easily.

Those reasons alone is why legalization should have happened a long time ago if we wanted to bolster the getting out of a deficit situation. Nonetheless, good job to those states. I wonder what my cousins opinion on this is, since he's been distributing weed in colorado for well over a year now.

20. Default Re: Colorado Amendment 64 Passes

Well no matter what it's a step. California was a bad example because it was so goddamn regulated. It cost more to produce than to sell. However these two states seem a little more "go for it". So if their local economies grow at the, what I believe, the exaggerated rate claimed, then it'll definitely give a little more incentive for the fed's to let it go already.