IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

I'm sure a thread was made about this a long time ago, but it seems to have been lost to the void of time and I can no longer find it.
    Anyway, It seems relevant to post this now, with the game coming in like 2 weeks.

There is currently a demo available for download on the Xbox live network and PSN. If you sync the demo to your social media accounts (i'm guessing Facebook/Twitter) and defeat the boss at the end, you will get a Siegfried Systema Garb, based on Siegfried from Final Fantasy 6.
    Siegfried Garb

About the game itself, it is the final entry in the XIII series, and revolves around Lightning who awakens from crystal sleep after 500 years to find a world which has been changed since the events of XIII-2. She discovers that the world is ending in 13 days and is given a task from "God" to save the souls of the worlds population, becoming "The Saviour". Nobody ages any more since the events of XIII-2, and therefore returning characters still show up.

Gameplay wise, the game uses a mash up of the combat systems from XIII and XIII-2, mixed with the Garment Grid/Dresssphere system from Final Fantasy X-2, and you have complete control over Lightning, like running around the battlefield and performing actions like guarding with her shield, though you still have an ATB gauge.

Paradigms of the previous games are replaced by Systema, essentially a costume change. Lightning can change costumes or "Garbs" in the middle of combat, and each Garb she uses has a different look (which is colour customisable) and different abilities which can be customised as well. So it's like a super-advanced version of the Garment Grid system.

Here's the main battle theme, which I think is excellent and very similar to the battle theme from XIII, but made more dramatic:
    Spoiler

Garbs

And a look at the Opening Cinematic, which being from the opening, doesn't really spoil anything.

Oh, and a gameplay demo of course:
    Spoiler

2. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

The similarity to FF X-2 does not bode well. Then again being a sequel to the crappiest FF installment of all times bode even worse.
    Hope they learnt from their horrible mistakes in world and character design.

3. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

I dunno, I kinda liked the system in FF X-2, though now that I look back on it, It didn't work quite as well as it could. The fast-paced gameplay didn't fit with the way you had to scroll through menus, but after being adapted to work in Lightning Returns it seems to work quite well, it's a nice step up from the battle system in both FFX/X-2 and the XIII series.

And it being the crappiest installment is purely subjective. I enjoyed the first game for it's story and characters, but the gameplay was lacking. Inversely, I found XIII-2 was much better gameplay-wise, but the story was all over the place and timey-wimey.

I've come to realize that they didn't do a good job at "selling" the mythology and backstory to the FF XIII world, due to it mostly being told through datalogs, and only snippets of it being shown in Dialogue and stuff. I found this really great post that breaks it down and explains it all in a really good way using the info given through the games and in guides and stuff, and it's by far one of the most in-depth final fantasy worlds ever. (not including Final Fantasy XII, that world already had an established backstory)

I've thoroughly enjoyed the FF XIII series as a whole, it had great graphics, a great story and memorable characters. Sure it had questionable gameplay, but which Final Fantasy game hasn't? final fantasy 8's battle system was a mess and people still love that game.

4. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: Elidibs
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: HS Master
    Guild: SquishyNoobs
    Alliance: Brave
    Farm: Zodiac

Meh. Much as I enjoy the arguments on the quality of XIII, I'll keep this brief.

It was kinda the reverse for me with the original XIII. I found the story and characters flawed, while the battle system was the thing that kept me playing (though the gameplay outside of battling was lacking, to say the least).

This is my main issue with the story of FF XIII. A story that relies on telling rather than showing is not good storytelling at all. It's an immersion breaker (along with the linearity and lack of exploration) to rely on an ingame database to explain important events and backstory rather than allowing the player to discover it themselves through the events of the story and their own exploration. It just reduces player agency and without that immersion, I found it hard to empathize with the characters or feel connected with the world. I actually agree that it was a fascinating world with alot of potential for backstory and explanation, but that's all it is.

Enough rambling on the original. I tried the demo, and the battle system is as fun as I remember it, a faster paced evolution of the ATB system. The throwbacks to old school FF jobs with the job system er... costumes was a nice touch. I listened to parts of the OST on youtube, and it was alright. Didn't make as much of an impression to me as the OST in the original.

Overall, the demo was alright, but the game ain't worth the price of admission to me, not with Bravely Default coming soon. I just feel indifferent to the whole thing.

5. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

ok, i'll go off the main topic here for a moment, and ask, am i the only one that thinks they just wanted to play dress-up with lightning? seriously she'd rather die than wear yuna's outfit, that ballgown one, and let's not even go into the one with the horns

that last suit hurts me, i know it, i recognize it, but i can't remember whose suit it was, argh!?

6. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

those aren't horns, they are cat ears!

And the garb on the far right is a homage to Locke from Final Fantasy VI.

In the demo there was another Thief-based Garb, which had a tail. I think it was supposed to be a homage to Zidane from Final Fantasy IX
    EDIT: Scratch that, I think it was the above garb, just with a tail accessory equipped.

7. Donator Straight Male
    panama

thanks wasn't sure ( i thought it was from FF6, but for some reason remembered the clothes or similar ones being in dissidia/duodecim)

and even worse, CAT EARS.

8. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: Elidibs
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: HS Master
    Guild: SquishyNoobs
    Alliance: Brave
    Farm: Zodiac

Oh look, I found a recap video:
    Spoiler

This is remarkably accurate.
    Last edited by Zodiac; 2014-01-29 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Fixed Spelling and Format

9. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

It's all due to the project director for XIII as a whole. I remember reading an article where he explained that Lightning was designed to be "his dream girl," and all kinds of other weird, very creepy sh'it like that.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/motomu-tori...rry-lightning/

I think it's part of why FFXIII is still alive. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with XIII, but it wasn't a perfect game by any means, and it doesn't really need two sequels, especially when it's the only FF to ever get that so far. Plus LR seems to change everything about Lightning and what made her a likable character (in my opinion), although this is going mostly on footage, I haven't played the game (Don't even know if its released yet, to be honest).

Overall I think XIII is still alive because of Motomu Toriyama's unhealthy obsession and nothing else.

Really? In comparison to FF2? The core concept of FF2 is good, but it's executed so poorly the game just isn't fun. At all. Especially the further you get in and the terrible, "This tile here is normal mobs, and this tile to the left by 1 tile is rape mobs. They eat faces and yours is on the menu." The end game was painfully unfun.

10. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

At least it had no real competition when it came out back in '88. FFXIII is outshined by most other installments as well as by a fantazillion other games in the genre. Both earlier and contemporary.

11. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

That may be true, however it's pretty subjective, especially with such a large pool of choices for comparison...however it's still not the worst FF installment of all time.

12. Donator Straight Male
    panama

from what little i know, the game's been out for a while overseas, and it's... not precisely good.

can't really say what that means since that's pretty much what was said of XIII and -2, which i enjoyed for different reasons (and which had their faults too)
    meh, we'll see, i plan on rolling the dragoon outfit as much as possible, if possible at all (aka: not DLC)

13. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

The only DLC ones are Cloud's outfit, Aerith's outfit and Yuna's gunner outfit I think, as well as some very plain samurai armour. I believe Dragoon is gotten pretty early (if the Demo is anything to go by)

I really liked the Dragoon armour in the demo. Dat block and counter combo did some serious damage. and the way Jump worked was kinda neat.

Might as well share this:

14. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

The game does look way better than I could have believed. I think I will actually buy it.
    If it is plauged by such fantastically terrible characters as the other two, It'll be just as painful to play through though. I guess centering it around Lightning is a good move since she was at least somewhat of a decent character.

God save us from catastrophes like Vanille, Fang, Hope, Snowe, Noel and Cera. Even my pet peeves Vaan and Penelo felt more solid, horribly enough.

15. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

I've heard that a lot of the characters have changed pretty significantly, Vanille, Hope and Snow especially. but ESPECIALLY Hope. I don't think Fang or Noel have changed that much, but they were half-assed knock-offs of each other anyway.

16. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

I don't think it is possible to change Snow for the worse...considering he was pretty terrible from the very beginning.

At least, that's what I believe. Who knows what they can pull out of their hat to make a terrible character worse.

17. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

P4Rgaming is a satire website. Look around at some of their other articles.

Hundreds of Japanese Gamers Return Lightning Returns After Finding Out It’s Not a Dress-up Sim
    Square Enix President: Only Idiots Would Make Video Games For Anything Other Than Money
    Microsoft Intentionally Made Xbox One Worse Than PS4 Because Americans Love a Good Underdog Story
    Developers Say Porting Games to Dreamcast More Profitable Than Porting to Wii U
    Publishers: You Can’t Put All Your Good Ideas into One Game Otherwise We Can’t Make Sequels

18. Donator Straight Male
    panama

i actually liked snow, granted he was annoying at the start of XIII, but he gets better real fast. Hope's the one that annoyed my eyes out of my head (and vanille, oh god vanille) thankfully hope gets MUUUUCH better after he forgives snow.

19. Default Re: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

That's not from only P4Rgaming, though. It's just the only link I could find on demand. When the story was new it was all over the place, and that interview is quite real.
    Hope gets better after he forgives Snow, but Snow never got any better really in my opinion.

20. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

I didn't much like snow either. And I didn't really get his involvement in XIII-2. I know he made a pact with the Cactuar Fal'Cie and became a L'Cie again (which wasn't actually explained in game), but i'm still not sure exactly why, and the story DLC regarding him did not help to answer that either.

I mean pomegranate, did he really have a time-travelling motorcycle? or was that just in the gag ending?

At least his involvement in Lightning Returns actually makes sense, and he's absolutely nothing like the way he used to be, especially after so much time /* (and with the knowledge that he couldn't save Serah to boot) */