street's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: Street
    Server: Windia
    Level: 15x
    Job: I/l mage
    Guild: Imperial
    Alliance: Royal
    Washington

Default Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

http://asia.cnet.com/preorders-start...e-62220799.htm

I dont think this is the answer for console gaming. In my opinion its going to flop hard, no pc gamer is going to jump ship from their customized gaming computers to buy a overpriced piston in a box. It might attract those hardcore steam fans which i know linger on southperry, but the price and the whole concept is horrible. It brings nothing new to the console war. I dont know how companies are able to put so much money behind projects that doesn't bring anything new to the table. So are gaming pc considered consoles now?

2. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

I still don't understand how a device that small could possibly hope to run Steam's library. Someone showed me a picture a few days back and it apparently fits in the palm of your hand.

Also, pre-ordering the thing 6 months in advance gets you...only $100 off? Really?

Seems like a terrible idea to me.

3. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

With the price of the Piston... yeah no.

It's nowhere near a replacement for anything.

4. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

The games i primarily use steam for are too nice to play on PC for me to ditch my PC.
    Maybe if the price drops off and i get back into playing a lot of console friendly steam games, but for now i don't have any serious interest in it.

5. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Later tonight i'll write up and build you guys a cheaper more powerful device.

6. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

The price is directly related to the size of the machine. Of course you can build a cheaper, more powerful device...but it'll be mid tower sized, and not palm sized.

7. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Would you rather spend a thousand bucks on something that can only run vidya, or 800 on something that can do everything?

8. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Remember when consoles used to be affordable pieces of hardware to use exclusively for games? Pepperidge Farm Remembers

9. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

You misunderstood me I guess. You were commenting about how you can build a more powerful device for less. I pretty much said "Of course you can build a more powerful device for less, they are charging so much for it because the machine is so small".

10. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Most of the price tag on that is the SSD I believe to be honest.

11. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

You're all missing the target audience for the Piston

12. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Well that wasn't the best horse to pick. Solid states aren't cheap, but they aren't really TOO expensive anymore.

You can pick a SATA III 128gb SSD up for sub $90 USD retail right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227726

I don't imagine they will be using that exact SSD (nor do I think they will be purchasing them for retail price), but at most its $1 for 1gb on SSD's right now.

13. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

People who don't know any better?

14. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Exactly, and people who want a Gaming-pc easy to handle, silent and without all those gimmicks you should know to keep your pc on top.

15. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Stupid/naive people?

Just because a PC is typically used with monitors doesn't mean you can't hook it up to a TV. That is the amazing use of HDMI.

Get wireless controllers, mice, and keyboards and you can put your PC in any room with a recent TV. You don't need a fancy and overpriced box.

16. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

But could that setup fit in your hands? Is it really silent? Doubt it.
    I know it's stupid and I can't imagine how many people will actually buy this, but this is what they are targeting for, as much as we (I include myself cause I just start set up in mine and know I can see the vast advantages it givesto make your own PC) don't like it.
    Let's just think about it as the Mac to Windows.

17. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

I will agree that neither of those are true for any PC but I really don't see the need or the point for either. It's paying for such stupid crap, which is why I don't see it doing well. Fit in your hands? It's not a laptop. Sure it has portability but where are you going with it that you can't go with a decent gaming laptop? Silent? If your PC is too loud you're doing it wrong. The smallest game sounds should overpower your PC fans.

I honestly don't see the target audience here at all.

18. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Of course you won't because you already know how to set up your own with better specs and cheaper.
    But this is for people who doesn't care or don't want to learn to do so.
    Also I think this is targeted to people who has a huge pc game library and that people want to share or play some co-op or whatever reason and don't want to/can't move their PC.
    Just my opinion.

19. Default Re: Piston new pc gaming console (might run steam)

Honestly, anyone who has a huge PC library would know enough to know that this seems like a waste of money.

People who can't/don't want to move their PCs...that I can see more, but it still seems far too expensive for something like that considering it's size still makes me doubt it's capabilities. It's easier to buy all three gaming consoles currently released, hook them all up to your TV, and play some games that way. Would also widen your library significantly and probably cost the same if not way less. The price range just seems silly even moreso when you compare it to the console options.

Did they ever release specs?

20. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male