Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

No, I have no read the Terms of Service (only some interesting parts). No, I barely know anything about the law. No, I'm not going to sue anyone.

By security I mean; saving your personal/account information safely, loopholes in the software.
    By support I mean; barely any ability to contact the company for issues regarding anything they distribute.

Therefore I'm asking, is it possible (in this case Nexon) to sue a company for lack of security and/or support in the software they distribute? This question is obviously related to recent events in the game.

Like I said, I don't know what they wrote in their Terms of Service regarding sueing. Sony did this recently, as well.

I know you're not forced to use their software and I have better things to do rather than play this, but I'm fairly interested in such things.

Jagex (RuneScape) even managed to patch every single exisiting bot out there and after months, they still have not managed to upgrade their bots. They also sue those who create bots out there. Any reason why they have well-educated programmers and Nexon does not?

2. Won't Be Coming Back Male

IGN: Biades4hire
    Server: Windia
    Level: 19x
    Job: Dual Blade

Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

You can't go to a restaurant, order food, and then sue them because their service sucks.
    Your account is property of nexon.

3. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

Account is property of Nexon, and it is your responsibility to keep the credentials secure.

4. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

pretty sure you can... or maybe this is just me living in the U.S. too long

5. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

What about loopholes in their software (this includes exploits etc.)?

6. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

This is what a judge would say to you

You can simply not play the dam game jesus

7. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

8. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Not sure but, wasn't it said before that the TOS more than a shield that can protect them from any lawsuit was actually just there to scare people from doing it?

9. Won't Be Coming Back Male

IGN: Biades4hire
    Server: Windia
    Level: 19x
    Job: Dual Blade

As long as you get the food you ordered, I doubt you could.

10. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

well, the woman that burned her tongue comes to mind, but dunno

11. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Ugh. Same old song and dance.
    Ignorance abounds.

Snor, you're fine.
    For the record, you can sue a company for failing to protect your private information.
    On the "customer support" end, I'm sure you could, in theory, but I have no idea where the line would be drawn.
    Customer support is generally a nicety to encourage continued patronage or to prevent issues from getting to the class-lawsuit level and is rarely a contractual obligation.

Just a bit of information, regarding:
    Even if Nexon had a clause saying "you cannot sue us", it wouldn't necessarily matter.

Depending on how the service "sucks", you certainly can.

You account being Nexon's property doesn't excuse them from being guilty of negligence.

Psychpillow, is that you?

What utter bullpomegranate.
    Even if a player does those things, certain aspects are out of the customer's hands.
    Snor's question is about the latter.
    Please don't post irrelevant dribble.

OH I GET IT BECAUSE THE UNITED STATES HAS SO MANY LAWSUITS!

And you can simply choose not to eat at the restaurant whose poor health standards resulted in you getting horribly sick and incurring serious medical bills.

That bit from the ToS says they can take any action appropriate.
    Snor's question is whether someone could sue if those actions were inadequate.

As with any ToS, it is presented as an absolute law while, in fact, certain aspects may be legally unenforceable.
    Since the average human being wouldn't know this (as judged by posts I've seen across the Maple fandom), that would indeed protect them from some people who would otherwise contemplate legal action.

(See top part of this post regarding Sony's attempt to tell its customers that they can't sue the company.)

12. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

If you want to sue someone you have to prove they caused some kind of harm. Your MS account is basically imaginary and a judge will lol at you for complaining about losing that.

But if you could prove that Nexon's cash sales were misleading and that you're owed a refund for them bungling some aspect of it, maybe you could nail them on a presumed warranty.

Those of us who don't give Nexon money essentially have no recourse, though.

EDIT: Fun fact about the ToS, if you tried to sue them saying they did something inadequately the ToS says Nexon is responsible for, they'd probably try to kick out of it and say those provisions are unenforceable. If there's no real underlying harm, the court would probably accept that.

13. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

I really wish people would stop thinking Terms of Service are fully legally binding. They are not. They exist for two reasons: one is to make people feel powerless (often successful, as demonstrated here) and the other is to cover their asses as much as possible. While not everything in there would hold in the court of law, it sure as hell gives them more room to argue against the consumer than if they had nothing.

14. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

You can only do that if you get sick from the food being prepared improperly or something.

15. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

you can sue them if it gets you sick or gives you a decease. Can't sue them, if their food just sucks or if they take like 2 hours to get your food, lol pretty sure they would of refunded you if it took that long

16. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

You'd think they have really good lawyers there, after seeing how much money they earn. So it'd be pretty hard to win in court against them, unless you had one who is as good and can argue your points well enough.

That said, yeah, you can most likely sue them. Afterall, they're responsible of keeping the information you provide them safe, and if they lose them because of poor security it's their fault. You'd have to prove it was for that, and not just a casual accident, though, which would probably be one of the hardest parts.

17. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

When will you people stop?

Not if a lawyer can prove that virtual items have real life monetary value.

Hey. Look. Nonsense.

You definitely couldn't sue for the food not being to your taste, but you could possibly sue for them taking excessively long to complete your order.

Of course, as you said, in those instances the restaurant would likely compensate you with a free appetizer or something.
    Most people would realize it would be moronic to even attempt to sue for something so minor, and will be more than satisfied with a free plate of cheesy fries.

I like to think of those people as the perfectly pathetic example of why such Terms of Service exist in the first place.

OH, speaking of things I wish people would stop thinking, can we cut the pomegranate with the "a judge would just laugh the case out" bullpomegranate?
    Anyone who says such things clearly has an infantile understanding of the court system.
    People don't just walk into a court office and declare "I want to sue!"
    Before that, they need to consult a lawyer.

Lawyers, having had to take years of schooling to specialize in their specialty, aren't generally idiots.
    Good lawyers aren't going to reasonably advise their clients to pursue a lawsuit that has absolutely no chance of ruling in their clients' favor.

This is why an individual wouldn't be taking Nexon to court.
    They'd start a class-action lawsuit.

18. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

I'm not gonna take to the time to read this thread so here is the main reason why I'm pretty damn sure you cant sue them

its a free game so long as your credit card info isnt stolen from their servers they can do as little to help their players as they like
    just because you buy nx doesn't mean you are a paying customer you are paying for NX a fake currency that has no value outside from people in ms you can not sue for lost NX or mesos as they are worthless

19. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, I'm just gonna assume this is your life motto because it explains everything.

20. Default Re: Possible to sue companies for lack of security/support?

No just when you reply to everyone with a paragraph to each sentence they say, to something so stupid as this I'm not going to waste my time reading that BS