Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Notice] PIC Reset Security Campaign

1. Default PIC Reset Security Campaign

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/news/current/00G5M/

2. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

And for the people without access to their email, sucks to be them :/

3. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

They didn't reset them, just error'd half of the people to try logging in. I somehow expected this to happen, them saying it's all intended.

Gonna be irritating fixing all my accounts. :/

4. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

I have about 30 mules without e-mails so erm...

fml.

5. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

Typical, nexon.

Not like I recall the emails for some accounts.

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Gee, thanks for the warning, Nexon.
    Or did you have a database break-in and have to do this reset unexpectedly?

Ah well, only one account I don't have the e-mail for. I think.

7. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

Just a tip or heads up, if your PIC was reset (like all of my accounts) you can log in via gamelauncher and just type your new PIC twice.

8. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

Would have been nice for a little warning during the maintenance.

Seems like my main didn't get the PIC reset though. Guess it's only for those accounts that had that annoying message pop-up every time you didn't want to reset it.

9. Brick Male
    IGN: ZeroCA
    Server: Windia
    Level: 21x
    Job: Zero
    Guild: EssentiaI
    Alliance: N/A
    Farm: ReneMule
    usa

But, if we just update our PIC every 2 months, we would never need access to our email, right?

10. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

I haven't reset any of my accounts' PICs and didn't get a PIC reset on the 3 I logged into. idk

11. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

Man, now I can't have my super easy pic anymore.

12. Orbital Bee Cannon

Oh bloody hell.
    So now in the interest of our security, Nexon has left all accounts PICless?

13. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

Good thing the only account that I have no access to the email is deactivated.

14. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

If you don't have access to your e-mail, you can change it through the website. You do not need access to your old e-mail to set a new e-mail address, but you will need answers to your security questions.

This has actually been in the process for a few months now. Basically, anyone who didn't reset their PICs back when we changed the system in April were forcibly reset.

No, only accounts which had been recently logged in were given that sort of reset (where they only need to log in and could set a new PIC). The rest will have to actually log into their account on the website to change their PIC through the normal method.

Long story short, we noticed a huge trend between hacked accounts and the last time someone changed their PIC. Some people literally had not changed their PIC since it was last known as a PIN. This is why we implemented the 3 month timer for PICs. However, many people ignored that strong hint (which we assumed they would), so we have actually forced the PIC reset itself.

Like any password, you should update your PIC frequently.

15. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

The circumstances around the PIC make me unlikely to ever rely on it for account security -- it's very annoying to type anything that could be considered at all secure (8+ characters alphanumeric case sensitive), and even if I do choose something secure, I'd have to change it so frequently that I'd be forced to remember it by writing it down cause PIC input doesn't trigger the kind of muscle memory I need on secure passwords.

Any PIC that's got letters in it doesn't need anything so sophisticated as a keylogger - it's entered so slowly, and unobscured, that you can just stand near a person and read it off.

Gonna be sticking to "1111222233334444" type pics thanks all the same.

16. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

Well, some notification given in advance(like on the SC notice) would have been nice. Eh though, it's not that bad.
    I've used the same PIC since it's release, it's pretty secure, how long must I wait to change it back to that? (I tried changing it back right after updating, it said it's been used too recently. D: )

17. Orbital Bee Cannon

Nothing is secure when Nexon's database can get broken into. Which I strongly suspect they think might have happened, or they wouldn't have got so aggressive about forcing this change without advance warning.

18. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

This is weird because it was completely opposite for me. All my accounts in which i hadn't log in months got the "Easy login way" while my main, which i logged yesterday got owned, had to reset the pic the hard way and i had no idea how to do it..... God forbid but i had to actually "Do some reasearch" Scary.

EDIT: Nevermind, this happened because it was right after the patch, now that i finally logged out, i got THAT forced Reset, =P Now that i had reset on my own manually..... heh, at least i learned something new.

19. Default Re: PIC Reset Security Campaign

That account is ancient and I don't think there was security questions way back in 2006. I've pretty much given up trying to regain access to it anyway.