1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: BuffDaSnail
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 15x
    Job: DrK!
    Guild: Irresistible
    Alliance: IrreForce
    California

Default Recommended test prep books for GRE?

Hey guys:

I recently came to the realization that I will need to start studying for the GRE (Graduate Record Exam), and I need to start on it ASAP. Even though I just finished freshman year, I'm on track to graduate early, which means that its time get my f'ucking act together and start studying for this exam as soon as possible.

My plan is to take the GRE during my last year of college.

(I just finished freshman year, and yes, people will say its "too early" to start prepping for the GRE. I started SAT test prep after 8th grade, and getting a head start prepping for standardized tests - like the SAT - is nothing new for me. Plus, as I said before, I don't have a lot of time left before I graduate from college)

I do plan to go to graduate school at some point. What I do know is that I will take at least a couple of years off after undergraduate to get some real life experience before I head back into graduate school.

I do know that test-prep companies who have produced SAT/SAT II/AP prep books (Princeton Review, Kaplan) also produce GRE test-prep books. What I'm asking is: What GRE test-prep books do you recommend? And why?

Also: Is there anything about the GRE I should be wary of? Tips? Tricks?

Thanks!

2. Default Re: Recommended test prep books for GRE?

I didn't really use books. The problem I have with books for studying for the GRE is that they don't really give you enough problems to work. I'd try signing up for a class if you have the time and money. Having a class gave me access to tons of math problems and reading passages. But if you want to use a book, I would go with Princeton Review.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

Default Re: Recommended test prep books for GRE?

GRE classes is nice, but they cost money (and college students ain't made of money =P). I would preferably study on my own. But I will consider taking one if the need ever arises.

Got any other recommended books besides Princeton Review?

4. Default Re: Recommended test prep books for GRE?

What... is the GRE?
    I sound like such a noob. What college are you going to?

I've studied a bit for the SAT and I (this coming school year) am a Sophomore in High School. Heard a lot about the SAT, nothing of the GRE.

5. Default Re: Recommended test prep books for GRE?

The thing about the GRE is you need to WORK PROBLEMS. Lots and lots of problems. It is important to learn test taking strategies and methods, but I think working the problems (and reading passages) is the most important part. For that I would recommend I book that is all problems and one book that is test taking methods. I think Kaplan also supplies these in addition to TPR. I don't really go outside those 2 brands so I can't tell you about others.

My GRE score was a 307-310 on the new grading system (probably 1070-1100 on the old scale) so hopefully I'm at least partially qualified to give you advice :p.

Graduate Records Exam. Big scary test to get into Master's and PhD programs.

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    California

Default Re: Recommended test prep books for GRE?

Hey Moon, thanks for the insights you've been giving me so far. Appreciate it!

Also, what's the "new" scaling system now? What's the ranges on it? Comparison to the old system? And I know that I should be aiming real high to do real well on the GRE, but what's considered a "high" score range?

7. Default Re: Recommended test prep books for GRE?

I forgot the total value of each section, but for math and verbal a score of 150 will put you in the 50th percentile.