Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default The Instant Ramen Thread

After discussing it with Danny and him calling me out on eating Korean instant ramyun instead of Japanese instant ramen, I thought I would bring the discussion here.

Nongshim's Shin Ramyun is my favourite instant noodle. It has a strong spicy flavour, along with a nice vegetable mix, and the noodles themselves are a bit chewy and thick. This gives them a nice texture and volume compared to the stronger soup base. The packages themselves are 120g which makes them decently large and filling, whereas most other brands I've found myself needing two packages to fill myself. The strong soup base helps with that too though. I also find it easier to add more things to the mix, such as eggs, vegetables, etc. since the size difference is larger. i.e. you don't end up with 50% egg, 50% noodle. The Kimchi flavour is also acceptable, but not as good. I don't think I've ever actually tried the Neoguri.

My alternatives to this would be

Noodle King
    Spoiler

Which is on the more expensive side, as well as cumbersome as the packaging can show. There are two servings per bag which leaves you with an open bag if you're not going to eat both at once. They are very thin noodles, and come with a flavoured oil package. Lobster is the best flavour.

Nissin's Demae Ramen
    Spoiler

Had this a lot when I was young. It's been quite a long time since I've had it though. The sesame flavour is a bit bland, but goes well with added vegetables. Something about the sesame oil that having it repeatedly makes me not like it. Beef is too strong and salty, and I dislike it for that reason. I can't remember what the tonkatsu was like. I think the only other available flavour here is seafood, which I don't like. I would like to try the spicy to compare with Shin Ramyun though.

Tonight, I decided to splurge on myself and tried the "Black Shin Ramyun" in a cup, which is shown in the center of the picture above. I sadly do not know where to purchase the full packages. It is marketed as a "premium" instant ramen, which costs double the price of the regular Shin Ramyun (which is around $0.85 if I recall correctly). I'll start by saying I made the mistake of cooking it with the microwave because I couldn't find my kettle, which was probably in my parent's room. This resulted in a slightly distracting smell of burned paper as the edges of the bottom of the cup (but not inside) were slightly charred.
    The first thing I noticed when I opened the cup was the smell of mushrooms. There were slices of dried mushroom in the cup and they were easily detectable. This is unlike the regular package, where the dried vegetable package contains mostly scallions with tiny pieces of diced shiitake that are completely lost after boiling. Inside were two separate packages of soup base. One was the spicy soup mix, and the other was the thick beef (and apparently anchovy, and I don't know what anchovy tastes like) soup base. Despite the larger volume of mix, the actual sodium content is lower compared to the regular brand. It was also noticeable in the taste as well, where the salt content wasn't as strong, but a more flavourful aroma and thicker texture was in the soup. The noodles themselves were more firm than the packages I'm used to, despite being made in a cup, which was surprising. The difference was noticeable compared to other cup and bowl ramen I've had recently. They were fully cooked, and didn't absorb too much water as I tried to confirm that nothing was on fire since my microwave is apparently too strong. I spent a good 15ish minutes enjoying them while I watched a show, and they were fantastic. Despite the long amount of time I took to eat, they didn't end up being too soggy, and the solid cup kept my hands from burning at the start while my tongue and the bottom rim of the cup weren't so lucky, and they managed to remain nice and warm throughout the meal which is surprising given the size of the cup itself.

It was a very life changing experience, and quite possibly the highlight of my life so far. I feel as if I have found new meaning in existing and it was well worth the $1.99, plus tax.

What is your favourite instant ramen and why? How has it changed your life?

2. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

Nongshim is the sikkest and its opened my eyes to the glory of spicy noodles in general. I throw in extra chilli flakes whenever I make it at home.

Don't really recall any other types of instant ramen, I just label them all instant noodles and buy random varieties at the korean shop that's on my block.
    Pretty sure it doesn't count as instant ramen but I've tried instant laksa (well it takes 8mins to make but its got really nice thick chewy noodles to boil) and instant pho, both of which were pretty darn good.

3. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

Ramen philosophy.

4. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

That's a shame.

@JoeTang; you should start a blog/site where you rate every type of instant noodle you can find and try.

5. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

So many of those exist, it's actually disgusting that anyone would want to make more.

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

On the contrary. If there is enough of a market to support 100 manufacturers/importers, there is enough for 101.

On topic: I don't like spicy food either. Nor instant meal-in-a-cups. So no opinion from me.

7. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

I think he was talking about that there was a ton of blogs about just that and not that there was too many types of instant ramen?
    I rarely eat it myself nowadays though but i like it when it's spicy, spicy food is great as long as it doesn't pass into the 'so spicy i can't taste anything else' area.

Also i don't recognize any of the brands mentioned in this thread :(

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

There are a ton of blogs dedicated to instant ramen? *mind blown*
    But I guess the same argument still applies, sort of?

9. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

There are also cliental who will pay to watch you eat it.

10. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

Does this count? I mean they're instant noodles, just udon style I guess. But I love this, it's spicy and the noodles are a tad thicker. The soup base is great, and adding in a few squid balls, fried tofu puffs, and a soft boiled egg at the end makes it beyond amazing for something instant.

11. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

... Who knew.

See, I wouldn't even be able to fit that niche. I eat ramen (both the regular and instant kind) like a freak. Actually, extend that to all noodle soup dishes.

Eating normally is hard enough at noodle shops, bah

12. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

I generally have a preference for Korean Instant Ramen as well(especially of course the premium one pictured initially). I like my food as spicy as it can be.

13. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

I love maruchan creamy chicken ramen. It's quite tasty to me. Neoguri is fine, too. Shin ramen is fine, too!

14. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

I've never added anything to my ramen. I have heard that egg is good (like @Tay; mentioned)

Now I want to head to h-mart and pick up some Korean bbq and ramen!

15. GLADIGATORS
    usa

I have actually heard of egg in ramen from anime but never considered trying it with instant stuff. Anyone know how i should prepare that?

16. Default Re: The Instant Ramen Thread

Who else would watch videos of @JoeTang; making and eating instant noodles?

17. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

there's no one method, it all depends on how you like your egg

18. GLADIGATORS
    usa

Lets say scrambled then that's my favorite. Am i supposed to make it separately or just crack an egg in the cup? Making eggs in the microwave iffs me.

19. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i've barely had any instant ramen so unfortunately i can't voice any opinions, i'm not a fan of soup-y things but i am of spicy things. so i guess i'd have to try one myself.

PD: Black Eushully approves.